Any wool pant recommendations?

It looks to me like those sarma pants are synthetic in all the places where noise gets made. Or am I seeing it wrong?
You're right. It says it's cotton/poly blend as a "reinforcement" over the wool. I'd bet it's not a scratchy material and just an added layer of protection. All my shirts with that blend are super soft and quiet, but hard to say without putting hands on a pair.

fwafwow

WKR
The Sarmas have caught my eye now and I wasn't even looking. They're modeled off military cargos so probably better than wool bibs for hiking.

Not sure where/what season you're hunting, but they definitely look nice for a cold weather option.
I’m thinking cold for tree stands, and possibly spot and stalk. But I realize the two may require different pants and/or base layer.

I love the comfort of fl kanabs bt exploded all the crotches. I like the obsidians but worry about durability enough that I don’t take them on long hunts.

I have a pair of old czech army pants that are great. Harder to find these days but if you can get old European surplus, they are awesome.

OP
I
Thanks everyone for the great recommendations
What are you using the pants for?
Looking for a midweight pair for layering with long johns and rain pants if it's really soggy for hiking/camping/backpacking in north central Idaho during the winter. Down the road may use for predator hunting as well as I learn. Wouldn't mind if they were casual enough to wear to the office occasionally and need pockets that are baggy enough to conceal carry in

The Army surplus wool pants are about as tough as any I've used and NOS pairs or lightly used can still be found on ebay.

The older American made LL Bean wool pants are high quality as well. I don't know who made them for Bean but they are excellent for the prices they sell for on ebay.

fwafwow

WKR
Sorry to the OP to partially derail this thread.

I've spent some time looking up quite a few (all?) of the named brands, and also stumbled upon Aclima. After working through odd colors/patterns (Johnson Woolen Mills), too few pockets (Origin and Big Wood Bucks), super spendy (King of the Mountain) and probably a bit noisy (Aclima), I've narrowed down my search to Big Bill and Bemidji.

Bemidji Lumber Jac - (85% wool) seem like they are *very* heavy (30 oz/yd^) but would require tailoring for length. Made in Minnesota. But these don't seem (from the picture - but I asked) to have many pockets - certainly not cargo. $190. [EDIT - they never replied to my email.]

Big Bill Merino Wool Cargo Pants - (80% wool) not sure of the weight (I asked them), only 3 inseam options (31, 33 or 36) and may require tailoring. Made in Canada. 7 pockets. $148. [EDIT - they did reply, relatively quickly, and it is 21oz/yd. But see below the results after ordering and receiving.]

If I had to pull the trigger now, it would be for the Big Bills (edit - see later post0. Off to do more research, but this also seems like something that might be more common in some other countries, or that @Formidilosus has come across.

EDIT - also came across this prior thread (https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/non-hunting-brand-clothing-recommendations.228025/) and Micklagaard.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Sorry to the OP to partially derail this thread.

I've spent some time looking up quite a few (all?) of the named brands, and also stumbled upon Aclima. After working through odd colors/patterns (Johnson Woolen Mills), too few pockets (Origin and Big Wood Bucks), super spendy (King of the Mountain) and probably a bit noisy (Aclima), I've narrowed down my search to Big Bill and Bemidji.

Bemidji Lumber Jac - (85% wool) seem like they are *very* heavy (30 oz/yd^) but would require tailoring for length. Made in Minnesota. But these don't seem (from the picture - but I asked) to have many pockets - certainly not cargo. $190

Big Bill Merino Wool Cargo Pants - (80% wool) not sure of the weight (I asked them), only 3 inseam options (31, 33 or 36) and may require tailoring. Made in Canada. 7 pockets. $148.

If I had to pull the trigger now, it would be for the Big Bills. Off to do more research, but this also seems like something that might be more common in some other countries, or that @Formidilosus has come across.

EDIT - also came across this prior thread (https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/non-hunting-brand-clothing-recommendations.228025/) and Micklagaard.

I’m 40 minutes from Bemidji right now, hunting in Northern Minnesota. I have to head to Bemidji on Tuesday to ship some stuff home at the UPS store there.

I’ll pop into their store and check those pants out. Let me know what questions you want answered on them.

fwafwow

WKR
I’m 40 minutes from Bemidji right now, hunting in Northern Minnesota. I have to head to Bemidji on Tuesday to ship some stuff home at the UPS store there.

I’ll pop into their store and check those pants out. Let me know what questions you want answered on them.
Thanks! I emailed to ask how many pockets they have. If I get an answer before, I will let you know. They seem pretty great, and heavy but didn’t appear to be cargo or have enough functional hunting pockets.

The Micklagaard pants look pretty good, although quite different looking than “normal” American pants.

Last edited:
Filson Mackinaw field pants are great for late season cold weather hunts. I have had mine for over 20 years. I don’t break them out unless it’s in the teens or less. They shine when it’s single digits chasing elk or moving snow for days on end during a big storm cycle.

Macintosh

WKR
I have a pair of the filson wool pants. Like a lot of the “traditional” wool pants the cut is pretty old school, but they fit well and mine are going on 15 years old. I’m not even sure what model mine are, or if they make multiple models, these are pretty light weight (call it “light-midweight”) for winter use around me. I have some insulated pants I wear sitting in cold weather, but by changing how heavy my base layer is, I can use these pants from late fall through the entire winter here in northern Vermont.

I also live 30 minutes from Johnson woolen mills. Consequently everyone and their brother around here wears them. I live in one of their shirt jacks most of the winter. Its well made, you do get old-school pants fit, but they are durable and functional. I would call these a heavyweight pant. The main reason I don’t own a pair of their pants is they are too heavy for me even for mid winter use. They’re probably pretty good for most cold-weather use standing around.

I own 2 pairs of firstlight obsidians. To me these are ultra-light weight, I can wear them in quite warm weather. They definitely require a baselayer for colder wx as they really provide zero insulation by themselves. I dont know for certain but I do NOT think these are 100% wool. They ARE noticeably quieter than any synthetic pant. I mainly use mine for archery hunting and warmer weather hiking. Durability has been “fine”, I would not expect any fabric that thin that doesnt stretch to be particularly durable.

The big woods bucks stuff they have made for them by other companies. I know for a while they had silent predator in canada making stuff, and I think johnson woolen mills has made some.

The other option for a somewhat inexpensive wool pant is LLBean. They have a pair of camo wool pants that are pretty reasonable and inexpensive. The only thing to mention is the insulated version, the insulation liner makes a lot of noise.

There’s also sleeping Indian, and apparently king of the mountain is now back in business. What I have seen from these two companies is heavy weight, extremely well-made, but in both cases that’s from 15 to 20 years ago so I don’t know if anything has changed.

fwafwow

WKR
I have a pair of the filson wool pants. Like a lot of the “traditional” wool pants the cut is pretty old school, but they fit well and mine are going on 15 years old. I’m not even sure what model mine are, or if they make multiple models, these are pretty light weight (call it “light-midweight”) for winter use around me. I have some insulated pants I wear sitting in cold weather, but by changing how heavy my base layer is, I can use these pants from late fall through the entire winter here in northern Vermont.

I also live 30 minutes from Johnson woolen mills. Consequently everyone and their brother around here wears them. I live in one of their shirt jacks most of the winter. Its well made, you do get old-school pants fit, but they are durable and functional. I would call these a heavyweight pant. The main reason I don’t own a pair of their pants is they are too heavy for me even for mid winter use. They’re probably pretty good for most cold-weather use standing around.

I own 2 pairs of firstlight obsidians. To me these are ultra-light weight, I can wear them in quite warm weather. They definitely require a baselayer for colder wx as they really provide zero insulation by themselves. I dont know for certain but I do NOT think these are 100% wool. They ARE noticeably quieter than any synthetic pant. I mainly use mine for archery hunting and warmer weather hiking. Durability has been “fine”, I would not expect any fabric that thin that doesnt stretch to be particularly durable.

The big woods bucks stuff they have made for them by other companies. I know for a while they had silent predator in canada making stuff, and I think johnson woolen mills has made some.

The other option for a somewhat inexpensive wool pant is LLBean. They have a pair of camo wool pants that are pretty reasonable and inexpensive. The only thing to mention is the insulated version, the insulation liner makes a lot of noise.

There’s also sleeping Indian, and apparently king of the mountain is now back in business. What I have seen from these two companies is heavy weight, extremely well-made, but in both cases that’s from 15 to 20 years ago so I don’t know if anything has changed.
Thanks for the detail. I'm going to look up Sleeping Indian too. The Micklagaard look about perfect, as long as I would make sure to put them on before anyone sees the leather straps/laces in the back. I think they look pretty Euro, but the idea is growing on me as I remember how much my gut changes over time (almost always in the wrong direction).

Last edited:
I’ve used Big Bill wool pants for years. I own a pair of nice Filsons too, and I honestly don’t notice a $300 valued difference between the two. Buy a few pair and use with confidence. I use mine for work and elk hunting.

I still have my original Woolrich buffalo plaid pants from the '70s. They're so warm that I can only wear them on the coldest of days.

Johnson Mills green or gray plaid woolies were a good alternative. I believe they're still made.

Not high tech, or latest and greatest, ......just warm and quiet.

fwafwow

WKR
Johnson Mills green or gray plaid woolies were a good alternative. I believe they're still made.

Not high tech, or latest and greatest, ......just warm and quiet.
Man I really wanted to like the Johnson Mills! But that green just seemed off to me, and I can’t imagine the grief I’d get in deer camp with plaid pants. Sold dark green or gray and I’d have bought a pair of each.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing beats filson mackinaw pants avoid the RIP stop pants at all costs they are trash go to ebay and search for some mackinaws in your size and you'll find them around 300 some times they are worth price I've been wearing the same two pairs for three years now and hardly any wear at all they get worn pretty often from October to march.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn Johnson, but for a lighter weight to layer underneath, the Korean war field pant at ~$40 is hard to beat. They are tough as nails, a bit itchy, but work well.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks! I emailed to ask how many pockets they have. If I get an answer before, I will let you know. They seem pretty great, and heavy but didn’t appear to be cargo or have enough functional hunting pockets.

The Micklagaard pants look pretty good, although quite different looking than “normal” American pants.

Well. I ended up using the post office here in the closest small town to ship my stuff back home. Won’t be making the trip to Bemidji sorry.

rclouse79

WKR
Does anyone have recommendations for 100% wool winter pants? Filson look great but at $450 a pair.. Ouch. I've also heard the quality has slipped recently. About the only affordable option I've seen are the big bill pants which are 80 wool and 20 nylon. Curious if anyone has tried these. I have one pair of army surplus wool pants which I found at a thrift store that have been great, seems like there should be more options for similar in new but I haven't found them yet
The only wool pants I have ever owned came from an army-navy surplus store and were $20. I am still wearing them decades later.