Any wool pant recommendations?

fwafwow

WKR
I have worn the woolrich twins to big bills since the 60s. With long underware under them you never notice any cold air coming up the legs even at -20. As I was growing up a common wool pants were the swedish army surplus out of our army navy surplus stores. I always thought they were kind of light as were the Filson woolies. I recently was gifted a pair from a USFS uniform that I will likely never wear.

The woolrich / Big Bill wool pants were the staple of the logging industry I grew up with. The bigger legs were less constrictive than jeans and you could cover more country comfortably. If you aren't in snow the lighter wool pants may fit your needs better.
I think I’m more of a baby when it comes to cold. I want long underwear on AND no breeze coming up my leg, especially if I’m sitting in a tree stand.

What size do you wear? I can make you a deal!

I will be 73 this week. I have 4 pairs so as much as I appreciate the offer I don't think I will be able to partake.

The best xmas gift I got was a new wool shirt. I had been searching for one for the last 4 years.

Thanks again.

fwafwow

WKR
I will be 73 this week. I have 4 pairs so as much as I appreciate the offer I don't think I will be able to partake.

The best xmas gift I got was a new wool shirt. I had been searching for one for the last 4 years.

Thanks again.
Happy early birthday!

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
I think I’m more of a baby when it comes to cold. I want long underwear on AND no breeze coming up my leg, especially if I’m sitting in a tree stand.

What size do you wear? I can make you a deal!
I may be talking out of turn here but wouldn’t gaitors solve that problem for EVERY pair you wear? I notice I’m way warmer with gaitors on.

Crahnx

FNG
How hard are a thicker wool to modify generally speaking? Should a good seamstress be able to make adjustments here and there? I’ve decided so want a pair before next firearm deer season, but will be shopping out of the bargain bin via Marketplace, Goodwill and garage sales. Confident I’ll find something, but also confident it will just be a starting point and likely won’t fit me well initially.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks for this detail. I had not focused on the cargo pockets being on the sides of my thighs, but putting them on the front would make them much more accessible when sitting. Do you mean to cut them in half to make them less deep, or vertically to make them more narrow?

Make them more narrow.

IMG_5567.jpeg

IMG_5568.jpeg

Divide93

FNG
I have three pair of bibs, woolrich (30 years old), a pair I bought at Sportsmens wearhouse, 23 years old, and Filson 10 years old. The Filson bibs are the tightest weave, but man are they pricey!

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
How hard are a thicker wool to modify generally speaking? Should a good seamstress be able to make adjustments here and there? I’ve decided so want a pair before next firearm deer season, but will be shopping out of the bargain bin via Marketplace, Goodwill and garage sales. Confident I’ll find something, but also confident it will just be a starting point and likely won’t fit me well initially.
Best advice I can offer is watch eBay and Mercari. I've swiped some great deals on old woolrich, ll bean and johnson woolen mills clothing the last few months. Scored a brand new LL Bean wool parka for $34.

mgmicky

FNG
I’ve had the Big Big merino cargo pants for 3 seasons now. I‘m tall and skinny (6’2” 165lbs) and they are definitely a little boxy on me but I like them for the most part. They would definitely be fine for someone with normal less lanky build. The waist is true to size and I always wear a baselayer underneath because they are a little scratchy, and that doesn’t leave room to tuck any heavier top layers in. I hunt in very steep terrain in the Appalachian mountains so I only wear them on our coldest days because they are pretty heavy. I’m searching for a lighter pair for to wear for the bulk of the season. I’m curious hear any updates from the guys that purchased the Micklagård pants

Dogone

FNG
I have used and wore out several pair of Filson wool cargo pants. Warm and durable. I would wear them every day about 4 months in winter. They would be worn to threads after three years. My buddies often asked if I only had one pair of pants. I was younger then and a pair would last ten years now.

I’ve had the Big Big merino cargo pants for 3 seasons now. I‘m tall and skinny (6’2” 165lbs) and they are definitely a little boxy on me but I like them for the most part. They would definitely be fine for someone with normal less lanky build. The waist is true to size and I always wear a baselayer underneath because they are a little scratchy, and that doesn’t leave room to tuck any heavier top layers in. I hunt in very steep terrain in the Appalachian mountains so I only wear them on our coldest days because they are pretty heavy. I’m searching for a lighter pair for to wear for the bulk of the season. I’m curious hear any updates from the guys that purchased the Micklagård pants
I’ve been wearing my exchanged pair of Micklagaard’s doing chores, shooting around the house and goofin off with the dogs about everyday for about the last couple weeks. I had to get a bigger waist size to make the legs fit. When I first tried them on the waist was about a size too big and the legs were just big enough. Seems like over this last week they’ve loosened up a pretty good bit. I went ahead and added two more snaps (the gold pair) to the waist to make them smaller and I’m thinking about adding another set. If I’m moving around I can wear them down in to the 20s with no base layer. If you can get the waist/leg ratio to fit these pants are awesome. I’m glad I did the exchange instead of the refund.

My pair from C&C Sutlery came in too and the waist fits perfect but the legs are a little big, but not too bad. I ordered them long so I took them to a tailor and she hemmed them up and tightened the legs up from the knee down for $26.

The micks and C&C seem to be made out of the same thickness of material. I like both but I have been wearing the micks the most. I think I wear them more because they’re tapered a little better and they’re a darker grey than the C&C. IMG_3025.jpeg

Does anyone have recommendations for 100% wool winter pants? Filson look great but at $450 a pair.. Ouch. I've also heard the quality has slipped recently. About the only affordable option I've seen are the big bill pants which are 80 wool and 20 nylon. Curious if anyone has tried these. I have one pair of army surplus wool pants which I found at a thrift store that have been great, seems like there should be more options for similar in new but I haven't found them yet
I have a pair of the LL Bean wool pants and really like them for what they are. They are only 85% wool. But, I believe they were around $150.

mgmicky

FNG
Update—I just got these Made in USA Woolrich from Ebay. The ad said they were never worn, and they do look new. Even had a tag in the pocket. I’m not a huge fan of camo, but I have to admit I really like the old school look of these. I mainly hunt with a longbow and wood arrows, so I guess it goes with the theme. I might see if my wife can sew some cargo pockets and let some length out on the hem, otherwise should be perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_1439.jpeg
    IMG_1439.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 26

fwee6

FNG
Columbia's have never failed me. Use them for ice fishing more than anything.
Comfortable, and warm as heck.

fwafwow

WKR
New Micklagaard pants (and a vest) came recently and I finally got a chance to try them on. The vest is pretty awesome. As for the pants, they are great - except for the fit. I am not going to return them (again), due to the time (and cost) to ship there, and the time to get another pair back. I'm going to take them to a seamstress this week, along w/ the Big Bills and Sarmas. Ivan has been very responsive and will be sending me a diagram of what to show the tailor to make the adjustment. Can't wait to get these out in the real world.

Putting aside the sizing issue of the pants, I'm pretty pleased with the way they are made, the weight of the wool and the lining in the pants.

Attachments

• IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1398.jpeg
    IMG_1398.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1400.jpeg
    IMG_1400.jpeg
    562.1 KB · Views: 32
Update on my Micklagards:
I wore them to work in for 2 days and the cargo pocket came undone from carrying a pair of pliers in it. Never snagged the pocket or pliers on anything that I recall.
I’ll let you know how they handle it.
IMG_3266.jpegIMG_3271.jpeg