Any raptor F150 owners?

I was leaning toward the Bilstein 6112 or the ebiach pro truck (2” not a 2.5” body diameter). Little worried the 2.5” (body diameter not lift) and larger shocks would be rough on the road. Was also looking at new upper control arms since I would actually be using the truck offroad.

You guys or anyone else have experience with any of the level coilover for the 15+ F150s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the Eibach Sport Springs with Bilstein 5100s.
NOT a comfort setup.
I might go with the Eibachs again but with Fox Icon or similar tuned for more compliance.

Raptors are nice but in reality buying a base model and putting money into it will give you the same thing but at a cheaper price.

Raptor is like buying a Gunwerks CLYMR rifle while baseline with mods is like getting a tikka with rokstok build from UM.
A Raptor is in a completely different league.
Take some time to research what a Raptor really is.

yfarm

WKR
All of the raptors come with the 36 gallon tank.
Supercabs are 26
My front shocks started to leak at about 110k, functioned even leaking.
Had the shocks rebuilt and 100k service done at Texas Shockworks, 39k since the rebuild with no issues..

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
Do you know how the suspension is supposed to perform when new? I only ask because it could feel great to you but way out of spec for desert style racing like it’s setup for

I do not know. That is why I asked.

Braaap

WKR
This is what I would consider a different league: https://stewartsraceworks.com/luxury-prerunners

Also most could consider the Clymr in a different league then a tikka as well.
A raptor is in a different league than any other truck off the showroom floor (minus the TRX). The Clymr analogy is a poor one imo. The Clymr doesn’t really do anything different or noticeably better than a tikka. A regular truck would crash and or break very quickly if driven at the same speed as a raptor through one set of whoops off road.

Have you driven a raptor off road?

The luxury pre runner you posted might as well be a space ship. That’s apples to oranges. $500k, 30 in travel, 850 hp! Sounds awesome but that’s a purpose built race truck.

TSAMP

WKR
What's the general consensus on cost for these shock rebuilds? Test drove a 2022 with 25k over the weekend and am doing some math in my head. There's a 2019 with 30k miles for nearly 20k less I am also going to try once it gets in.

OP
T
What's the general consensus on cost for these shock rebuilds? Test drove a 2022 with 25k over the weekend and am doing some math in my head. There's a 2019 with 30k miles for nearly 20k less I am also going to try once it gets in.

I ended up with about as low mileage as I could find 1st gen (2014). The shocks are simpler and rebuilds are approx $800-$1000 plus labor if you don’t pull and install them yourself. Personally I’m going to just buy new for about $1600 and then sell my shocks. It costs more but I’ve heard not so great things on rebuilds and they don’t have a warranty

Starting in 2019 they went to fox live value front and rear shocks, cost increase in rebuilding them in minimal. Removal and install shouldn’t be any harder it’s just a plug to unplug the shock wiring from the truck wiring

3rd gen which started in 2021 is a different setup. They went to a rear coil spring axle setup which is suppose to be much better than leaf spring trucks (from an offroad standpoint).

The main reason you’re seeing a cost difference between those two trucks is one is a second generation while the other is a third generation. What from cam phaser tick on the 19

intunegp

WKR
I ended up with about as low mileage as I could find 1st gen (2014). The shocks are simpler and rebuilds are approx $800-$1000 plus labor if you don’t pull and install them yourself. Personally I’m going to just buy new for about $1600 and then sell my shocks. It costs more but I’ve heard not so great things on rebuilds and they don’t have a warranty

Starting in 2019 they went to fox live value front and rear shocks, cost increase in rebuilding them in minimal. Removal and install shouldn’t be any harder it’s just a plug to unplug the shock wiring from the truck wiring

3rd gen which started in 2021 is a different setup. They went to a rear coil spring axle setup which is suppose to be much better than leaf spring trucks (from an offroad standpoint).

The main reason you’re seeing a cost difference between those two trucks is one is a second generation while the other is a third generation. What from cam phaser tick on the 19

TSW Offroad (linked above) does a gen1 rebuild/exchange for $175/each with a 12 month, +6 month prorated warranty and if you browse FRF and other forums you don't see too many complaints about their work. I'll be exchanging a set with them soon.

KurtR

WKR
My brother does shocks for a living. Not just dump out old oil and put in new. He does the rebuild puts it on the shock dyno and knows exactly what you have. He comes from doing stuff for race cars and the pression he works with blows away a average shock place. He has been doing alot of king rebuilds as there isnt any one in the Boise area that does them right.

OP
T
TSW Offroad (linked above) does a gen1 rebuild/exchange for $175/each with a 12 month, +6 month prorated warranty and if you browse FRF and other forums you don't see too many complaints about their work. I'll be exchanging a set with them soon.

How was the shipping costs? $175/each puts it at $700 before shipping for 1st gen

I see you replaced yours around 100k, did you notice much improvement in the ride (on or offroad) once they were rebuilt? I have 80k (unsure if these are the orginal shocks) on mine and while they feel fine, one front one has a small leak so

Braaap

WKR
I had the shocks on my 2013 rebuilt this spring by Shocks by Hammer. I did the exchange since it is a quicker process. My shocks had 133k on them and the rebuilds are very noticeably better. I considered buying new ones as the price is similar but there is one drawback to the new shocks versus rebuilds. When the shocks are rebuilt they can and should swap out the valves where you fill the nitrogen to shraeder valves. This allows you to check the nitrogen pressure yourself in your driveway. Low nitrogen is common and needs to be 200-250 psi for these shocks to work properly. The shraeder valves also allows you to fill them up easily if they are low. The original valves fox used require a special tool to check and fill.

wweaver

Lil-Rokslider
I have had four Raptors now, yes I have a problem. They keep getting better with each generation. The gen3 coils in the rear was a big step forward. Best description I have is truck just recovers much quicker, and no rear end chatter/spring wrap. If you can, get a Gen3 2021-newer. I have not rebuilt the shocks on mine but one truck I did sell with 79k on the originals with no leaking.

TSAMP

WKR
I have had four Raptors now, yes I have a problem. They keep getting better with each generation. The gen3 coils in the rear was a big step forward. Best description I have is truck just recovers much quicker, and no rear end chatter/spring wrap. If you can, get a Gen3 2021-newer. I have not rebuilt the shocks on mine but one truck I did sell with 79k on the originals with no leaking.
It jumped in the box and was shocked at how little it moved. Then I drove it and saw how nice it rode. Between a topper and decked system and dog boxes I'd guess I have 750 lbs if not more in my truck bed full time. Curious how it will do with that payload.

wweaver

Lil-Rokslider
You will want to upgrade the rear springs with anything over 300ish lbs steady weight in the rear. Eibach and Geiser are your answers here. Not expensive and not hard DIY, much easier than swapping leaf springs. I have about 200 lbs steady leitner rack with a rhino rack platform on top. I did a 1 inch Foutz spacer to level the rear out, but anything more springs would be needed. When I load it down for hunting trips I do wish I had airbags on my Gen3 I wil say that but they do not have the travel.

Last edited:
OP
T
You will want to upgrade the rear springs with anything over 300ish lbs steady weight in the rear. Eibach and Geiser are your answers here. Not expensive and not hard DIY, much easier than swapping leaf springs. I have about 200 lbs steady leitner rack with a rhino rack platform on top. I did a 1 inch Foutz spacer to level the rear out, but anything more springs would be needed. When I load it down for hunting trips I do wish I had airbags on my Gen3 I wil say that but they do not have the travel.

I had thought it was typically recommended to set the front shocks at mid perch to obtain a level vs a level spacer?

Watch out on aftermarket front coil springs like Ebiach or Geiser, there’s a YouTube video that shows cases the potential damage those springs can cause to the raptor shock buckets or nearby frame due to the truck not being designed for those springs

intunegp

WKR
How was the shipping costs? $175/each puts it at $700 before shipping for 1st gen

I see you replaced yours around 100k, did you notice much improvement in the ride (on or offroad) once they were rebuilt? I have 80k (unsure if these are the orginal shocks) on mine and while they feel fine, one front one has a small leak so

They send a prepaid shipping label in the box with your new shocks. Pack up the old ones, slap on the label, and you're good to go. $700 includes shipping but it does bring it up to $800 to have schrader valves installed for nitrogen servicing.

I didn't own the truck the last time they were swapped but a close friend did. I asked him how to know when it was time and the consensus seems to be that you will notice an improvement on and offroad similar to replacing any other worn out suspension...better recovery, less bounce, etc. When I bought the truck the rebuild shocks had 10-20k on them so they were fairly fresh. They now have about 55k. What I've noticed lately that makes me think it's time to swap is that when I hit a bump or pothole at any speed, the rear end gets squirrely and feels like it wants to break loose rather than staying planted and I lose 20-30psi of nitrogen pressure between oil changes. I'm also getting a little bit of cupping/uneven wear on my tires. Anyone that hops in the truck with me still tells me how great it rides.

Braaap

WKR
It jumped in the box and was shocked at how little it moved. Then I drove it and saw how nice it rode. Between a topper and decked system and dog boxes I'd guess I have 750 lbs if not more in my truck bed full time. Curious how it will do with that payload.
I have a snugtop shell and a decked system that I haven’t used yet. I can say that my raptor has done better than expected when I’ve loaded it up for family trips. Shell, two dog crates, two dogs, two adults, two kids, cooler, kayaks, SUP, dog food, clothing bags for everyone, fishing gear etc and it’s fine. Trucks payload is around 1100 and I’m probably there. Only time I’ve noticed an issue was I towed a buddies restroom trailer for him while he was hunting in Alaska a few weeks ago. 6000 lb trailer and my truck sagged pretty bad. It was a short drive luckily. I might end up with a different leaf pack in the rear at some point.