Any New ideas for backpacking food/snacks?

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Overnight oats for breakfast. I like chocolate peanut butter version using dried milk if backpacking. I carry a used plastic peanut butter jar. Mix them in single serving zip locks then mix night before. Typically use same jar for ramen for dinner.

Breakfast-overnight oats
Lunch- tuna or summer sausage cheese and crackers.
Dinner- mostly ramen

Snacks- jerky, Justin's peanut butter packs, typically carry some mini donuts or pop tarts for mid morning pick me up.

Candy bag that looks like I raided my kids Halloween bag.

Love a fresh honey crisp apple.

Instant coffee with a little hot cocoa mix or tea.

I typically only do 1-2 nights. Rarely 3 so I add a little weight for food.

Cyril

FNG
From Costco:

https://www.costco.com/that's-it-mini-fruit-bars,-24-count.product.100642169.html - delicious fruit snacks, great for that carb kick when doing intense hike or pack out.

https://eatbobos.com/products/peanut-butter-jelly-pbj-oat-snack-variety-pack - PB&J bar running these this year

Also a fan of the bagel and salami. I add a mayo packet and individually wrapped cheese to the ziploc, then make a sandwich when in the field.

This year I'm hunting a Nevada trophy elk tag, water will be scarce so trying to pack food and snacks to fit the bill. At least 100 calories per 1oz is my rule.
Those Bobo pb&j things are awesome. I could eat them like candy bars. My wife started getting them because she cut gluten. Delicious but expensive. I buy most of my bars from Aldi.

Beendare

WKR
I'm sure you'll all think I'm nuts, but sacrificing a little weight and bringing an actual apple is worth it to me. To be able to eat an actual fruit when all you're eating is dehydrated or condensed foods is quite a treat. Obviously it's not ideal for backpacking in several miles, but it's also not that big of a deal for the reward when you get to eat a nice, crispy apple.
Ha, Next thing you are going to try and tell us is that a sip of Bourbon or a celebratory Beer is better than the dehydrated powder….
Grin
Has anyone figured out a way to Dehydrate a bottle of red wine? That 50th anniversary Caymus would be nice in the bush.

Those little foil packs of chicken, tuna and olives are a staple for me.

Last edited:
Depending on the length of your hunt/hike I take bagels cut them in half peanut butter both sides put them back together & back in the bag seal & slide into my pack. they last for days I also take a small plastic bottle of honey put a piece of plastic wrap on it & twist the cap on add that to my bagels ,Rice cakes are also lite dont take up much space & are great by themselves or with honey peanut butter ETC . I make breakfast burrito's at home, eggs hash browns onions peppers sausage bacon ham cheese, roll up in tortillas wrap in plastic wrap & tin foil place in zip lock bags. These are great cold or if you are running a stove or fire easy to heat up & great for the 1st couple of days of hunting or hiking . I remember a hunt my boys & I did & we were sitting on the side of a hill glassing for elk & having lunch . When I hear one of my boys say You brought a Whole PIE WTF !! He had grabbed some of those mini pies from the store from that day on we all have at least 1 or 2 pies in our packs , great to break the boring Azz taste of freeze dried !!

TheJimmer

FNG
The Born and Raised guys got me onto tortilla shells with Nutella, bacon bits and honey. It can be a bit messy, but it tastes awesome in the field and doesn't take up much room.

riley0819

FNG
I have the individual packets of bone broth for every evening. Great to have that hot drink and rack out.

rw79

FNG
Pretty soon I’ll be putting together food bags for my September elk hunt and I’m looking for any new ideas for snacks. I’m pretty set on hot meals (breakfast & dinner), but it’s the ~ 1000 calories/day of snacks that I’m looking to get feedback on. I tend to burn out pretty fast on foods after one season if they aren’t really tasty (like green belly bars, probars, etc).

I did order some of those Kram PB&J snacks to try, heard about it on a GoHUNT podcast. https://kramnutrition.com/
Kram is awesome and I used them in the field last year.

kbincolo

FNG
Sweet: Tortilla with nutella. Banana optional.
Savory: Ramen noodles
Packaged: Bobo bars.

Mw01313

Lil-Rokslider
I am pretty green to the food side of things. This may he common knowledge, but top Ramen will cook in the bowl it comes in. I wrapped the whole bowl in foil, but I'm sure a jacket or sleeping bag would work. Keeps the pot clean and I think I paid $1.60 for them.

I was raised on instant grits.
Breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Throw some little bits of deer jerky in there.
Good stuff, just boil water.

After mid September lots of years we usually start to have some cold/rainy/snowy days.

Costco has some instant Pho Noddle bowls. I think th brand is snap dragon. It’s only a couple hundred calories.

If it looks like we will have some weather like this before I head out in a 7-10 day backpack hunt, I usually throw 1 or 2 in my pack. After getting up we’ll before daylight, hunting in the cold/rain/snow for 5-6 hours, a warm bowl of Pho is a pretty good snack
I just saw those yesterday at Costco and was thinking that they might be good to pack. I'm prepping for a Idaho backpack hunt right now. Thanks for posting.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Kram is awesome and I used them in the field last year.
I tried to buy some tody and the store was out of them. I was surprised they were in the freezer section. KRAM PBJ is not shelf stable?

Marble

WKR
I tried to buy some tody and the store was out of them. I was surprised they were in the freezer section. KRAM PBJ is not shelf stable?
They seem pricey, but I'm willing to buy a few so I have variety. It says on the website that Sprouts sells them. I'll give them a try.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I am not a big chocolate guy in the woods. I also dont like things that make too much of a mess.

I prefer to pour my peak refuel meal or mountain house in a ziploc to save space.

I love bobo bars, almonds, epic bars, justins pb packets, vanilla wafers, pro bars are my go to. Doesn't matter if I eat 3000 calories or 2000 I still lose some weight so I try to stick around 2500 calories. This gets me packed pretty light. I am more concerned with electrolytes really so I carry alot of trailwind and liquid ivs.

I do have my "packout meal" which is sour gummy worms, any tning with sugar really.