Any New ideas for backpacking food/snacks?

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Scoop of protein powder, an Instant Breakfast, scoop of powdered milk in a quart freezer Ziplok, with a straw cut to size. Add water and shake, and it's an instant protein shake. Add whatever extras you want for more boost.

That’s a great idea! I’ve wanted to try protein shakes on a hunt (heard Brady Miller talking about it years ago), but I never have purely b/c I don’t want to deal with cleaning out the shaker cup (and if you’ve ever forgotten to clean out a protein shaker…. Whoooo…. That’s a mistake you only make once. ). It never occurred to me to use a ziplock and a straw tho! That’s genius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Tortilla filled with Nutella and bacon, maybe a few cheddar cheese combos and the Hawaiian pork jerky from Costco.

Also keep 2 chicken bullion cubes to throw into my jetboil. Thats a nice pick me up if weather is miserable.

Yep! I started keeping a couple of those chicken bullion cubes in my pack for rainy days when I’m trapped under the tarp just passing time. Just drop one into a jet boil of hot water to make a broth. It’s a great way to get the chill off your bones and restores you mentally. I’ve actually begun looking forward to them.

Antares

WKR
Musubi (x1), boiled eggs (x2), small apples (x2).

That’s my go to mid-morning snack for day hunts. Almost 900 calories; carbs, protein, and fat. Rockit apples are my favorite.

Jaquomo

WKR
That’s a great idea! I’ve wanted to try protein shakes on a hunt (heard Brady Miller talking about it years ago), but I never have purely b/c I don’t want to deal with cleaning out the shaker cup (and if you’ve ever forgotten to clean out a protein shaker…. Whoooo…. That’s a mistake you only make once. ). It never occurred to me to use a ziplock and a straw tho! That’s genius!

I stole that idea from Midwest years ago. It's a great solution to a messy problem, and you can carry it in your pack with no worries...

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
Musubi (x1), boiled eggs (x2), small apples (x2).

That’s my go to mid-morning snack for day hunts. Almost 900 calories; carbs, protein, and fat. Rockit apples are my favorite.
Sounds like my daughters lunch for school! Lol. Musubi is legit.

Austink47

WKR
Aussie bites are my new favorite pack snack. You can buy a bag of 20 individually wrapped for $10. I can eat them in one bite and they have 130 calories each.

I vacuum seal 2-3 days worth of summer sausage and cheddar cheese. In a small package . That with some triscuits is a really tasty mid day snack

I pack 3 triscuits,cheese and sausage for each day.
What kind of cheddar do you get that is safe not being refrigerated?

I’ve started bringing fresh fruit, even though it has a weight penalty, and fresh apple hits the spot. If I know I’m camping near a stream that I can use to cool drinks off, I’ll bring a can of Mt. Dew.

I’ve never done hard drugs, but the dopamine hit from a cold can of Mt Dew after busting your butt all day has to be close lol.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely not the trendy solution, but it works for me. I am a First Strike Ration/ MRE kinda fella. Bunch of flavors, relatively light when field stripped and selectively packed, and shelf stable.

What kind of cheddar do you get that is safe not being refrigerated?
I vacuum seal regular cheddar cheese with the home made elk summer sausage.

I freeze all of the packages before I go.

When I load up my pack I put it in between my water bladder and all my clothes/food. I usually just bring enuff for the first 3-4 days if it’s really hot. Some of my spike camps have a cool spring I can put the vacuum sealed bag in also. Later September it not uncommon for night time temps to be pretty cold, so keep it in the shade and it stays ok.

pcrossett

FNG
Random question but what salami are folks taking? Trying to measure out roughly ounces of food to calories gained and salami does not seem to be super calorically dense.

bigmtnhntr88

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty soon I’ll be putting together food bags for my September elk hunt and I’m looking for any new ideas for snacks. I’m pretty set on hot meals (breakfast & dinner), but it’s the ~ 1000 calories/day of snacks that I’m looking to get feedback on. I tend to burn out pretty fast on foods after one season if they aren’t really tasty (like green belly bars, probars, etc).

I did order some of those Kram PB&J snacks to try, heard about it on a GoHUNT podcast. https://kramnutrition.com/
How did your Kram PB&J's do unfrozen for multiple days in your pack? Did the bread dry out? Any spoilage since they have no preservatives?

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
How did your Kram PB&J's do unfrozen for multiple days in your pack? Did the bread dry out? Any spoilage since they have no preservatives?

I’ll let you know in about a month! For now, They are still in my freezer. I leave for my elk hunt in 2 weeks (9/15 - 9/30).

I have some concerns about how long they will last. I’m planning to bike in about 6 miles with a trailer and take the full 2 weeks of food with me. I’ll hang most of the food there near the bike, and pack in with about 5-6 days worth on my back. Idk how the PB&J will hold up tho. It’s Going to be very disappointing if come back to resupply and find a bunch of moldy ass PB&J. Certainly They would fair much better if I kept them back at my truck on dry ice in the cooler; but I really don’t want to come all the way back out just for sammiches.

If you can find them Oakrun Farms Bakery was making a packaged waffle that needed no refrigeration !! They were individual wrapped waffles & Pretty damn good. IF you cant find any breakout your waffle iron & make some put them in a plastic storage bin or freeze them, they are great with peanut butter or nutella or grab a squeeze bottle of jelly. Breakfast burritos wrap them in tin foil & refrigerate or freeze if your packing a cooking source it only takes a few minutes to throw in a pan & reheat !

Shoot870p

FNG
+1 on the freeze dried fruits. Saving up to hopefully buy a freeze drier next year. Figured it would unlock lots of possibilities.
I would really like to get a freeze dryer but they seem to far out of reach right now for me. Maybe one day.