Any New ideas for backpacking food/snacks?

Trader Joes is a good place to go peruse for hunting snacks, all sorts of dried fruit, trail mix, Jerky, mini cookies, candy, bars and the list goes on. should be able to find something to meet you dietary needs.

Owlman

FNG
I took a big block of Cheddar cheese on a hike in the Smokies and took bites out of it every now and then. Felt like it was a good slow feed energy source. Peanut Butter is also very solid all around snacking source.

Baller

FNG
I always take a tortilla and use those pre packaged pepperoni slices that are vacuum sealed (Usually in the pizza/spaghetti sauce section of your local market - use one sleeve of 2 rows of pepperoni). Add two blocks of vacuum sealed single serving cheese and you have what I call "Poor man's mountain pizza" (Sauce optional but I sometimes add mayo). Or, you can spread those single serving cans of peanut butter and a packet of honey on the tortilla if you like variety. Cannot go wrong either way although my preference is the pepperoni and cheese.

I normally meal prep for an entire week at a time for all meals anyway so I do not mind eating the same things over and over again.

My .02, your mileage may vary...

BigCam47

FNG
This is a great read. Are there any learnings to share or is there anything new y’all will be taking with you this coming fall?

JK47

FNG
My wife makes these little guys: peanut butter, dry oats, chia seeds, honey, and usually M&M’s….mix it all together in a big bowl and form little balls out of it. I don’t know exactly how she does it, but they’re pretty dang good.

young7.3

WKR
Everyone loves gummy bears for instant energy but I prefer sour gummy worms. They are a level better imo.

-Bbq fritos (also great fire starter)
-waffle and almond or pb
-tortilla, pb, honey, bacon
-same above but on bagel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I'm going to try making my own protein bars this year. I'm thinking something oat based with peanut butter protein, hemp, chia, (cranberry/blueberry/raisin), salted roasted nuts, dark chocolate on the bottom. Might add chocolate chips or reeses pieces.

A little maple syrup too.

Hoping for 30-40 grams of protein and 400 calories.

I've found a few recipes, just need to try them out and tweet until I like them.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
I like the packs of Tuna Ranch on a tortilla. +1 on peanut butter honey, bacon snacks. I like Kind bars. Snickers after a hard climb.

TheHammer

WKR
Snickers came out with a protein bar… in case anyone else wanted to know of a bar that isn’t bad, like many are barely edible.

TaperPin

WKR
Does anybody else eat instant oatmeal dry or with a tiny bit of water so it’s like cookie dough? I love the maple and brown sugar. I’ve easily eaten over 1k of those over the years, starting in 6th grade. Lol

For years I kept a number of these and a few dry ramen noodles in my pack as backup snacks. Each oatmeal packet is 160 calories or so, and a Roman noodle is 370ish.
3668C2C8-5A4C-4C1F-B334-55257D2697F9.jpeg

Idahodmax

FNG
Tuna. I get tired of dry foods and tuna in that little bag is really good way to get a little moisture with my food

Marble

WKR
Snickers came out with a protein bar… in case anyone else wanted to know of a bar that isn’t bad, like many are barely edible.
Well dang, I'm stocking up on supplies for hunting season. I just bought the 2 pack off of Amazon. I also have some Anabars coming and a variety of the Kodiak products.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody else eat instant oatmeal dry or with a tiny bit of water so it’s like cookie dough? I love the maple and brown sugar. I’ve easily eaten over 1k of those over the years, starting in 6th grade. Lol

For years I kept a number of these and a few dry ramen noodles in my pack as backup snacks. Each oatmeal packet is 160 calories or so, and a Roman noodle is 370ish.
Only way I eat it! And not just on hunts. Warm, soupy oatmeal is nasty. Agree with your maple/bs choice too.

bz_711

WKR
My pack staples:
Apple or two
Couple hard boiled eggs
Peanut M&M's
Jerky

I'll then add a couple high cal/high protein bars...and couple drink mixes for electrolytes & caffeine.

The bag of Peanut M&M's is usually big enough to live off of for a couple days if I had to - they never get old to me:)

vladkgb

FNG
From Costco:

https://www.costco.com/that's-it-mini-fruit-bars,-24-count.product.100642169.html - delicious fruit snacks, great for that carb kick when doing intense hike or pack out.

https://eatbobos.com/products/peanut-butter-jelly-pbj-oat-snack-variety-pack - PB&J bar running these this year

Also a fan of the bagel and salami. I add a mayo packet and individually wrapped cheese to the ziploc, then make a sandwich when in the field.

This year I'm hunting a Nevada trophy elk tag, water will be scarce so trying to pack food and snacks to fit the bill. At least 100 calories per 1oz is my rule.