Any firefighters out there?

From a forestry technicians perspective as a bunch of us are still yet to see Wildland Firefighter title in the federal sector even though the BIL Law was passed years ago.
A person who works their butt off with USFS will see the positives and on many districts will have their NWCG FFT1/ICT5 task book opened their 2nd or 3rd season. There’s so many permanent seasonal and permanent full time vacancies across the country it is easy to get a job with benefits and federal retirement once you have FFT1. 800 to 1000 hour overtime seasons are starting to catch up with me…. Working 6-12 days a week, 11-16 hour days at the work center during fire season when not on an off district assignment is sometimes a lot to handle. I’ve grossed around/over 100k the last few years. Middle of the Pay scale.

That being said a good district makes or breaks people. On mine we find the seasonals who excel and if there’s some interested in filling on hotshot crews we make that happen. Have one leaving in the next few days to do just that. I’ve hopped around to where I finally decided to settle, but have worked in 26 different states on fires or prescribed burns so far in my career. I have a forestry degree and use that in the off-peak fire season to do some timber work on the side. It is a fun time watching sunsets and sleeping in the dirt, but you’ll earn your money. I don’t know what a summer is as I haven’t had one for a while, trade off is I found just about all my hunting and fishing spots on the clock.

As there’s two different sides to fire- Wildland and Structure, I’ve been looking towards structure more and more due to the work life balance. There’s federal structure departments and those city and county departments that send engines out on wildland fires in the summer and those jobs look appealing to break up the daily ritual of running medical calls. Those departments usually pay pretty well.

Depending where you are, about every volunteer department and every small county ambulance company needs people. They will put you through training if you’re willing to commit. I know a lot of folks that started volunteering, going Wildland for a season or two, and then getting a good paying structure fire gig.

For the contractor side of Wildland, depends on the company as some owners don’t pay their employees what they should and some don’t take pride in their equipment.

Majority of the fireline medics I’ve ran into in my career have other jobs whether it would be ski patrol in the winter, working in the oil fields, or on an ambulance/structure company. It’s a boring gig on a fire for the most part but if you have patience or can pass time it is good paying and not back breaking work.

Last edited:
Southern UT. If I knew 100% I wanted to be a full time FF, I’d be willing to relocate. But I’d really like to try volunteering for a while to see if it’s truly my calling like I think it is. Hard to give up a solid, flexible career for something I strongly think I want to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where in southern Utah? Cedar runs a recruit class almost every year. St George has part timers too but I dont think they run a recruit class. If you could get your certs you could help out there. They require at least 2 stifts a month to stay on. Cedar has a few guys that work shifts down there. I think Cedar Mountain may also have some part timers. They used to anyway as some Cedar guys would grab shifts up there. The Tech College in Cedar was running a recruit academy as well last I knew.

Just walk into your local department and ask about how to get on. We have people coming in all the time asking how to get started.

LFC911

WKR
Not sure if it is an option for you but I joined the USAR back in the 80's as a FF. I was already a volunteer at the time but it gave me more advanced training to include aircraft crash FF. The training was at an air force base in IL, so 8 weeks of basic training, 6 weeks of advanced (FF) training (AIT) and then one weekend a month and two weeks a year for 6+2 years...the last 2 years were inactive in my case as i was part of the IRR (inactive ready reserve). Might give you a leg up over others going for the same job or when promotions come around. After that I did 20 years as a volunteer for my community. That volunteer program was disbanded in 2010 because the city had grown so much and went 100% paid. My hunting buddy is F/T on that department now making a good living working 10 days per month, which is great for taking the month of September off for elk hunting and having a couple good paying side hustles, not to mention the O/T.

A lot of good input for you in this thread, so I won’t bother adding the same advice.
However, I will administer a brief test.

IMG_1212.jpeg
You have just received an alarm for a reported structure fire. As you leave the ramp this is what you see from the cab.
Your reaction is:
A. Oh no, that looks terrible.
B. I hope we aren’t first in.
C. F*** yeah, let’s get some, boys!

If your answer isn’t an immediate and emphatic C, then I’d stay with the good gig you have now 😂

Good luck whatever you do.

TaperPin

WKR
A lot of good input for you in this thread, so I won’t bother adding the same advice.

View attachment 743629
You have just received an alarm for a reported structure fire. As you leave the ramp this is what you see from the cab.
Your reaction is:

If your answer isn’t an immediate and emphatic C, then I’d stay with the good gig you have now 😂

That made me actually laugh. So true.

View attachment 743629
Your reaction is:

What if my answer is A with a big smile on my face?

Lawnboi

WKR
Southern UT. If I knew 100% I wanted to be a full time FF, I’d be willing to relocate. But I’d really like to try volunteering for a while to see if it’s truly my calling like I think it is. Hard to give up a solid, flexible career for something I strongly think I want to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can’t speak to that area but I have been volunteer or career fire/medic since I was 19 in central WI I can give you my honest opinion but I’d prefer to do it over a phone conversation, just too much to type. Pm me if your interested.

Wellsdw

WKR

View attachment 743629
Your reaction is:

D. Probably a dumpster beside
The building, but still better than a hobo
Covered in $hit 😂

D. Probably a dumpster beside
The building, but still better than a hobo
Covered in $hit 😂
You get toned out at 0200 after finally getting in bed. Thank God…it’s a reported rubbish fire and not another EMS call.
You crawl back in the bed at 0250 reeking of hot, burning garbage on a sticky summer night. All is right with the world as you fluff your pillow and start to drift off…
0305 station audio opens up, lights come on and you swing out of bed…cursing under your breath…why didn’t I just stay in school 🙄

Even if you were a full time seasonal anyone of those guys are getting rich. A lot of good guys with military preference and experience will out complete you for the good jobs. Just a volunteer wildland gig isn’t worth much - an 18 year old on a real crew will have 10x the experience in the first summer.

Unless you have a forestry, range management or similar 4 year degree the rate of advancement on the federal side is quite slow. Just to move from a really cool seasonal job on a shot crew or even smoke jumpers to a full time position is a struggle for the guys that are good at it with military preference. In some ways this is a very competitive period for a number of reasons. For someone who wants to advance the worst thing you can do is get on an average FS district crew that gets very little overtime and has an FMO without any pull in the system. Working for someone who can make a phone call and get you special treatment on career moves is worth a lot more than people realize. If you want to be a smoke jumper, look for FMO’s who are gung ho ex smoke jumpers.
Which dept. do you work for?

TaperPin

WKR
Which dept. do you work for?
I don’t work for a department. We have firefighters in the family and in our social circle from Captain on down. I spent 10 years with the BLM/FS in wildland fire and while I got out, I enjoy keeping up somewhat with the guys I worked with that are now FMO’s and higher level dispatch types.

JFK

WKR
@TimberHunter I switched careers to Fire. Feel free to PM with any questions you have, but long story short, I’m very, very happy I did it.

Volunteering is a good route to go to see if you like it, but just realize that you’ll be new and treated as a probie. Then you get hired full time and you are a probie all over again. Flash forward a couple years and it really gets enjoyable. I just say this as a warning that it may not immediately seem “fun,” but if it’s for you, it will be interesting, challenging and you’ll know it. Some guys do it faster, but I’d go into it with the mindset of it taking 2-3 years to make the switch to full time.

A typical path would be
-EMT
-Pre-service academy
-Begin interviewing for openings with no experience requirement, fully realizing it’s a long shot.
-Volunteer
-Continue to apply and interview.
-Medic school if you want to be a medic and can handle the time commitment. It’s the easy button for getting a job, but don’t be a medic if it’s not for you. It’s a lot of work and responsibility.

Not sure how things in Utah are, but here in Ca it’s gotten much easier for guys to land jobs compared to 10 years ago. EMT is still pretty challenging but medics are getting multiple offers from quality depts if they are solid and can interview well.

Biggest thing about going structural is either joining a big big dept or finding one that covers the ghetto. Poor folks love settin their shit on fire. If ur a fireman in a rich area you aren't really a fireman.

I'd been a carpenter for many years, got my EMT and started ski patrolling in the off season. Wanting more medical training I started volunteering with my local Department. One thing lead to another and at 48 I'm the oldest gradate of my academy in Siskiyou County California. (So far North you wouldn't recognize it as CA) I'm now working for Cal Fire and its been busy. Anyway, the door is open to ya if you want to work for Cal Fire. They're definitely hiring next year. It's a good foot in the door and we train on a lot of structure stuff as well as Wildland as we're an all risk department. You will need to go through an academy and get your FF1.

Dewy

FNG
I retired two years ago at the age of 47 after 24 years, last 8 as a BC. As mentioned, if you work in an affluent area the amount of actual fires you’ll go to is slim, like probably a handful a year, if that. Good for the community, not so good for skill building and proficiency.
My recommendation when looking for a dept would be the following:
All career dept - less politics & hurt feelings
No transport ems - Your going to run a crap ton of EMS calls each day, running them on the engine is one thing, the ambulance is another.
Benefits- As a youngster I didn’t care, I just wanted to run calls. Now the benefits mean more to me than the call do. How is the City/Area trending? Can it sustain raises, pensions etc. what are the economic drivers for that area and are they sustainable?
Older cities with less affluent areas provide ample opportunities to learn the trade, in general. However, I’m not sure how much of that you have in your area or if you’re willing to move for the right spot.
Learn another career on your days off from the FD BUT do not calculate the money into your yearly finances for housing etc. You can get transferred to another division in the blink of an eye and loose your “day off” job so never count on that money.
Retire early and retire often.
I don’t miss the job but I do miss the guys and girls.