Any Engineers on Here

hobbes

WKR
I'll add this.......I've served on multiple interview panels, lead some, and been interviewed multiple times and not once has where I got my engineering degree came up. Maybe it does early on or with some places. Once you have that PE or some years in, I've not seen anyone do anything more than look at the Bachelor or Masters of Science (check), PE (check). After that it's all experience and how you handle and present yourself in the interview.

OP
C
If this hasnt been mentioned yet: AVOID SCHOOL DEBT at all cost.

Unless you are headed to stanford/berkeley/MIT the school name doesn't mean the paper its printed on. You can acquire school debt extremely quick and easy going back to school (30k a year, easy, plus high interest). This debt burden can easily be a parasite on whatever extra gains you made in career. Can be worth it, but be savvy about it. Investment vs return, thats all it is.
For sure. I actually have a bachelor's in Education my wife and I paid off all our student loans using the Ramsey plan and ironically the money I made with my associates in welding paid my bachelor's off lol.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add this.......I've served on multiple interview panels, lead some, and been interviewed multiple times and not once has where I got my engineering degree came up. Maybe it does early on or with some places. Once you have that PE or some years in, I've not seen anyone do anything more than look at the Bachelor or Masters of Science (check), PE (check). After that it's all experience and how you handle and present yourself in the interview.
Very true. I’ve done over 40 interviews in my career, and I usually ask some questions related to previous experience, some stretch questions, and a bit of behavioral questions. Not much related to the school, unless they have no prior relevant work experience.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm an ME and work remote. I am a design lead day to day. Math is not that hard as long as you take time to understand annotation. That is where most people get lost. The ongoing 4th industrial revolution is going to change engineering/design completely in the next 30 years. You can get into this pretty easily with an engineering degree of most kinds as well as computer programming or many other high tech degrees. Don't forget to learn CAD and Design along with your engineering so that you can make your own ideas/patents real. Good luck!

OP
C
I'm an ME and work remote. I am a design lead day to day. Math is not that hard as long as you take time to understand annotation. That is where most people get lost. The ongoing 4th industrial revolution is going to change engineering/design completely in the next 30 years. You can get into this pretty easily with an engineering degree of most kinds as well as computer programming or many other high tech degrees. Don't forget to learn CAD and Design along with your engineering so that you can make your own ideas/patents real. Good luck!
I haven't heard the term 4th industrial revolution. What do you mean and how do you see it changing?

My opinion is computer science is going the way of the dodo with AI. People aren't going to be writing code in 15 years.

I would encourage anyone with young kids now to focus on developing their leadership and other soft skills (humor, care, empathy, persuasion)--the things machines have a harder time replicating.

I'm not an engineer but I took a year of EE classes in college as a requirement for my major.

I still have nightmares about the homework from those classes. Spend three hours figuring out the amperage and voltage across each component in this system...ok, now let's change this resistor to a capacitor AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!
eli the ice man!

dont forget though, engineers have exceptionally tough course, arrogance 101 and condescension 101. seems to be the only class all engineers receive an A in, from my perspective.

(background) i started young as an electrician, later, went into owning my electrical business, building and development business. now, through buyouts etc, im a 'residence' position at a software company, for the AEC market. we stretch from retaining wall software to design/analysis software (structurally-20 some different programs?) and design to cad-esque-analysis on the construction/arch side.

two things-one, the amount of clients we have that are renewing with us who are well into their retirement years, essentially because of 'easy' side work and lack of laborforce, is remarkable. two, with my years from electrician (residential to industrial) to being a builder/developer (residential to light/heavy commercial) to my current position, i can say without a doubt, the plurality of engineers are glorified calculators, and i want to be very specific about that statement; they are glorified data entry technicians. (does not apply to R&D, however, it does extend to software engineers as well).

I have worked with a handful of GOOD engineers, but those GOOD engineers were in the field before they became engineers. the remainder, point out an error to them, or point out to them something that should be considered, and they will tell you all you need to know.

so, if you want to be an EE, have experience in the electrical field. electrical is all theory anyway, so theoretically, you cant ever be wrong, which is perfect situation for an engineer! (stirring the pot on this one for the EEs out there).

Last edited:

dubllung4

FNG
You've gotten some really good advice so far. I have an engineering degree and really regret it. Two years out of school I was bored out of my mind and not using a single thing I learned. I transferred to project management and couldn't be happier. In hind sight I wish I would have just picked a trade out of high school and then transferred into the office. I'd be doing the exact same thing I am now and would have gotten paid for my schooling. I am the only PM in our office that did not come from a trade.

Contractors are badly in need of good project managers and based on your experience you would do well. It seems like they either have to chose from engineers with zero common sense and mechanical ability or a former tradesman who lacks people/computer skills. Someone with common sense, mechanical background, and leadership can really excel. The job has a lot of variety, pays well, and is very flexible.

You've gotten some really good advice so far. I have an engineering degree and really regret it. Two years out of school I was bored out of my mind and not using a single thing I learned. I transferred to project management and couldn't be happier. In hind sight I wish I would have just picked a trade out of high school and then transferred into the office. I'd be doing the exact same thing I am now and would have gotten paid for my schooling. I am the only PM in our office that did not come from a trade.

Contractors are badly in need of good project managers and based on your experience you would do well. It seems like they either have to chose from engineers with zero common sense and mechanical ability or a former tradesman who lacks people/computer skills. Someone with common sense, mechanical background, and leadership can really excel. The job has a lot of variety, pays well, and is very flexible.
ill ditto this.

dont be mentally stuck that degree=more $

be fluid and flexible, dont be afraid to ever jump in the trenches, and never forget your mistakes you made (make) as you progress, and i say that in relation to how you treat people.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't heard the term 4th industrial revolution. What do you mean and how do you see it changing?
The 1st industrial revolution was early 1800s, basically using machines to do work. The 2nd was early 1900s the assembly line. 3rd was 1950s the digital revolution.

4th is ongoing drastic changes in technology, manufacturing, material sciences and computing. Or more specifically where they meet. Think AI and algorithms replacing a ton of peoples jobs. Products will get lighter and more robust with less effort to produce. Assembly lines will get more and more automated. Extremely complex technologies unite with huge societal implications.

IdahoBeav

WKR
dont forget though, engineers have exceptionally tough course, arrogance 101 and condescension 101. seems to be the only class all engineers receive an A in, from my perspective.
I've been on both sides, and you're certainly right about a significant percentage of engineers, but there are also many contractors that won't even read the plans and specs and seemingly need an RFI in order to know how to put their own hard hat on.

dlee56

WKR
ME degree here. 6+ years in as a product design engineer in the outdoor industry (previously corrosion engineer in pipeline industry). I make a pretty darn good wage given my position and location, have the ability to work from home when needed (sick kids and such), and I mean...who doesn't want to design sharp pointy things to kill stuff? That said, I'm pretty much tapped out in terms of salary growth without moving into some sort of a management role or going back to school for my masters, which I've strongly considered going for an MS in material science.
That's an interesting trajectory, how'd you move into your current position?

Foldem

WKR
I've been on both sides, and you're certainly right about a significant percentage of engineers, but there are also many contractors that won't even read the plans and specs and seemingly need an RFI in order to know how to put their own hard hat on.
We don't hire those types in my group. I've had the opposite experience with most of the young engineers I've hired.

wyodan

WKR
I agree with both of you guys on both statements.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
That's an interesting trajectory, how'd you move into your current position?
Interned with the integrity management company the last 1.5 years of college so I was fortunate enough to step into a full time role right after graduation. However, the amount of travel was significant (and very spontaneous) so I decided to look for soemthing new as we wanted to start a family. I was fortunate to have a semi-local archery company have an opening in their engineering department at the time and have been there ever since, and now due to some turnover I'm the longest tenured engineer on our team. I'm only 31 but have been bowhunting/shooting a bow since I was 11 so I am fortunate enough to have lots of previous experience to lean on in my day-to-day roles. I really enjoy driving CAD and being able to take a new product from an idea to sellable goods, BUT, being that my job is so intertwined with one of my biggest hobbies it makes it hard to turn the work brain off sometimes.

Also, when Clancy mentioned that because you're an engineer people expect you to know pretty much everything is 100% spot on. I don't know how many conversations I've had that are "Hey, my shed is leaning. You're an engineer aren't you? How do I fix it?" or "Hey, why is my washing machine making this noise?" Fortunately, I enjoy turning wrenches.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is computer science is going the way of the dodo with AI. People aren't going to be writing code in 15 years.

I would encourage anyone with young kids now to focus on developing their leadership and other soft skills (humor, care, empathy, persuasion)--the things machines have a harder time replicating.

I find that hard to believe, as programmers write code to enable so called "AI".

Circular redundancy?

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Take this for what it is worth but all the really big boats at the boat marina are owned by construction guys, plumbers, hvac, electricians, linemen, etc. Less doctors, lawyers, and the like than you'd think.
They may just be more willing to accept debt, but doesn't look that way.

southLA

WKR
Take this for what it is worth but all the really big boats at the boat marina are owned by construction guys, plumbers, hvac, electricians, linemen, etc. Less doctors, lawyers, and the like than you'd think.
They may just be more willing to accept debt, but doesn't look that way.
How many of those individuals own their own businesses? I'd wager the majority. Utilizing the labor of others is key to wealth.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
How many of those individuals own their own businesses? I'd wager the majority. Utilizing the labor of others is key to wealth.
Completely agreed. Multiple paths to wealth but having others working for you seems to work frequently. Buddy owns a welding shop and service company and makes a very comfortable living. Seems similar to other trades job though where he is always on the lookout for good welders that show up to work consistently.