Any drone/RPA operators on here?

jayhawk

WKR
I know I know. I hate them buzzing around me too. This is not for that, and not for hunting purposes.

But there’s a big demand for them nowadays for anything from cinema to building inspections to families wanting sky shots of them tubing down a river on vacation.

I’m interested in getting into this as a side business and seeing where it goes from there.

I’m familiar with FAA requirements and commercial drone licenses. But wanted to reach out and see if anyone flies drones recreationally or for work that could help shed some further light onto getting involved in this. Thanks in advance!

gbflyer

WKR
I have a couple of the cheap recreational Chinese drones. They were fun at first but it’s kinda run its course for me. They are fairly dummy proof these days, easy to operate. One of mine did a crazy Ivan full speed into the water for some reason, probably having to do with the fact that it is cheap and I may or may not have hacked the speed controller. Changed the blades, dried it out, and it was good to go.

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a part 107 license. I do some stuff for work. What do you need help with? I've never seen a huge market for anything on the side but I've never really looked that hard either.

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
Just be certain you have permission from anyone you're filming. I was on a fishing trip on the river a few years back. A drone started hovering over a couple of our boats. (There were 5-6 boats in the group.) A guy in the next boat double checked.

"No one in our group has a drone?"

"Nope."

He cast his jig and minnow at the drone. First shot missed. Second cast got the fishing line tangled up in the prop and sent the drone crashing into the Rainy River never to be seen again.

Unfortunately the teenage son of one of our group members brought a buddy who brought a drone. The drone WAS with our group...but not anymore.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Add to your list: news stations, land surveyors, developers, and realtors. Though most news outlet have theirs on staff already.

As for my thoughts on them - I dream of sending a load of #3 steel waterfowl after one in my yard; I live int eh city so it won't happen but sounds fun!

OP
jayhawk

jayhawk

WKR
Add to your list: news stations, land surveyors, developers, and realtors. Though most news outlet have theirs on staff already.

As for my thoughts on them - I dream of sending a load of #3 steel waterfowl after one in my yard; I live int eh city so it won't happen but sounds fun!

Honestly I’ve felt the same way. There’s a place for them in commercial application for sure, but Billy bob flying one next to my house is just creepy

Fullfan

WKR
I have two drones, one is used for flying shark baits from the beach, other is for video and pics. I do not have a license, and don't think the secret police are coming to get me.

Wapiti1

WKR
I fly for work doing inspections, construction survey and crop studies. What kind of info are you looking for? Cost to get into that line of work is not awful, but not cheap up front. Can be very lucrative if you get good at a specialty like industrial inspection. Depending on where you live, a thermal drone can make some cash finding lost deer if legal.

Jeremy

Also: full-time photographers (especially wedding photographers), event planners, entertainment venues (local outdoor concert venues are an easy sell), disaster relief/emergency response agencies, search & rescue organizations, landscaping companies, golf courses, training camps, BSA/GSA facilities, and educational institutions.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Just be certain you have permission from anyone you're filming. I was on a fishing trip on the river a few years back. A drone started hovering over a couple of our boats. (There were 5-6 boats in the group.) A guy in the next boat double checked.

"No one in our group has a drone?"

"Nope."

He cast his jig and minnow at the drone. First shot missed. Second cast got the fishing line tangled up in the prop and sent the drone crashing into the Rainy River never to be seen again.

Unfortunately the teenage son of one of our group members brought a buddy who brought a drone. The drone WAS with our group...but not anymore.
Lol while you don't want to be filmed (I get it) you don't need permission...you were on public land. And even if you were on private (depending on location) it's legal to film from airspace.

But back on topic. Most part 107 use the drone as an additional duty/add on. For example, a real estate photographer will offer drone photos in addition to interior photos.

Last edited: