Any boot brand with a similar lacing system to Hanwag’s

I bought 4 pairs in different sizes and widths of the Hanwag Alverstone II GTX in hopes of making what I have found thus far to be the best lacing system in a boot, fit. Well…. they didn’t fit. all sizes and widths were too narrow in the toe box as is a common issue with them. So much so that I got an ingrown toenail in both big toes just over two weeks time trialing them inside the house. I have never had an ingrown toenail prior in my life. I hated to send them back and wanted to make them work but it just wasn’t meant to be.

So, my question is, has anyone found a similar lacing system like Hanwags in another brand. Specifically, the forefoot laces locking in, a mid lacing eyelet that really sinks your heel back into the heel cup and then a separate lacing system for the upper ankle portion? I am looking for a 3-3.5 type flex as these will be my early to mid season boot, I have insulated Kennetreks for late season. Thanks

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
Check out the Lowa Ticam II

I tried both the alverstone and the Ticam IIs and found the Ticams to be a bit wider & have more volume in the toes.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to mention the Lowa Tibet as having a similar lacing system. Excellent boot.

HAns WAGner and LOrenz WAgner were brothers. Companies now owned by Fenix of Sweden and Tecnica of Italy. Just for fun.

OP
Theringworm
Interesting. I have always wanted to try a pair of Lowas And have always heard a lot of good things about them. How do the Ticam IIs compare to the Tibet? Their website says the Ticams are a little narrower. That’s fine as long as they aren’t Hanwag narrow. Also, I can't find a height for either of the Lowas. Anyone know?

Last edited:

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t know exactly.

The hardware looks identical aside from the suspended ankle strap lace loop on the Tibet vs the fixed one on the Ticam. Lowa cemented boot uppers are mostly Czech made, and they don’t specify how many lasts they have, so who knows on that front.

My Hanwag 13s don’t feel too far off from how I remember by Lowa 12Ws, but it’s been like 4 years. The Tibets broke in great. Haven’t had the Hanwags long enough to know.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I second the Lowa Tibet recommendation. The toebox is very wide (on the wide last model) and there's a locking lace loop that keeps tension at the instep and keeps the heel in place nicely. I have a sensitive outer edge on my right big toe and it never feels jammed in Tibets. The flex is probably around a "3" on a 1-5 scale and is comfortable in steep terrain, but I'd like a smidge more stiffness when my pack is heavy. Tibets come in 8" and 10" versions.

I also have Schnees Granite 200g boots (also wide fit) and they have similar lace-locks at the instep that keep my heel planted, but they are definitely built on a narrower sole and last, so my toes feel slightly crunched given the same length boot as my Tibets. They are slightly stiffer than Tibets in the soles and uppers.

OP
Theringworm
Great info. I wonder if GOHunt actually has a store front in Utah where you can try on all of the hundreds of boots before buying them. They have probably the largest selection of boots online. Sure would make it an easier process on my end.

Wapiti1

WKR
Zamberlan have a similar system as well. At least the 980 Outfitter and the Hanwag Alaska are more or less the same.

Jeremy

TX_Diver

WKR
Great info. I wonder if GOHunt actually has a store front in Utah where you can try on all of the hundreds of boots before buying them. They have probably the largest selection of boots online. Sure would make it an easier process on my end.

Gohunt is in vegas but blackovis has a storefront in SLC that you can try stuff on at. It's a pretty small area attached to a giant warehouse and they bring out whatever you want so don't plan on window shopping much, but it's all there under one roof. Crispi is actually in the other half of the building but I'm not sure if they have a retail space on the crispi half.

OP
Theringworm
Oh, thanks for the clarification. Does goHunt have a storefront where you can do this in Vegas then? I would make a trip just to do this if so.

TX_Diver

WKR
Oh, thanks for the clarification. Does goHunt have a storefront where you can do this in Vegas then? I would make a trip just to do this if so.

I think so but am not 100% sure. Give them a call Monday and see what they say.