2022 Boots- Hanwag, Lowa, and Scarpa

TX_Diver

WKR
Here is some past opinions for reference.

Since 2020 I've been wearing the Crispi Colorados (11.5) and the Lowa Tibets (11.5 wide). I don't wear them much outside of hunting season so I can usually get a few seasons out of a pair of boots by cleaning them well after every hunt. This year in summer when I went to start rucking I found that my little toe was rubbing the outside of the boot which hadn't been a problem in the past. Re-measuring my foot I found that they were almost 1/4" wider than last year!

This kicked off another boot search which ultimately didn't end til last night. I got through the hunting season with a lot more leukotape than last year, and also by using chiroplax toe caps on my little toes, which Lathrop & Sons turned me onto.

First I tried a set of Zamberlan 2092s in 11.5 that I got on here as I'd heard they had a lot of room in the toebox. That turned out to be correct and they actually fit really well, but with how stiff they were I was getting solid blisters on the bottoms of my feet if I was walking on flat ground at any sort of decent pace.

Then I turned to gohunt and ordered 10 pairs to try when they had their last boot sale. I got some Scarpa Kailash, Hanwag Tatras, Makra Treks, Alverstone II, and some Lowa ticams. I ordered a few sizes of each pending availabilty and using gohunts sizing references.

The Kailash were a very light boot and not nearly as tall as the others. They'd be a good scouting boot but in my opinion they didn't provide the ankle support I wanted, nor did they have nearly enough volume (height) in the toebox or over the top of my foot for me. The best fit was a 12 wide but these were pretty easy to rule out for me.

The Tatras (size 12) had a decent lacing system but was also not as tall as the others. it still seemed to provide decent ankle support at least though and fit the back half of my foot well. This boot was slightly narrow for me and also lacked volume in the toes.

The Makra Treks (size 12) didn't have near enough volume in the front of the foot and seemed almost overly long. I wasn't a fan of the lacing system (loops rather than roller eyes) as it didn't seem nearly as robust as the other boots.

I really wanted to like the Hanwag Alverstone IIs! I ordered a 11.5W, 12, and 12W. The 12W were the closest fit for me. The 11.5W was too short, the 12s to narrow, and the 12W almost just right. They were on sale for a great price, have an awesome lacing system with multiple locking points, 3 hooks above the lock, good leather construction, flex level 3 (per gohunt), full rubber rand, etc. I tried these with the stock footbeds and also a clean pair of the L&S footbeds. Ultimately they were a hair long and I couldn't get my heel slip to a good spot without really cranking down the laces. They were also a little low across the toes and top of my foot. That might be something you could solve with a low volume footbed though. The only other note is that I'd have wanted to replace the laces on these, they were extremely stretchy and slippery.

The last boot I tried was the Lowa Ticam IIs in 11.5 and 11.5W. The 11.5W fit well and I'll probably keep these. I wish they had an additional hook above the lock as you go up the ankle of the boot as the ankle has a little more volume than I'd like (I have to tie them fairly tight to keep my leg from moving around much in em) but otherwise I don't have many complaints. They have good length/width/volume for my feet with both the stock and L&S footbeds, but are a little more flexible and slightly less clunky than the tibets. They also have solid leather construction. The one thing that's weird and that I didn't notice until later is that the rubber rand is not continuous on the outside of the boot. The lacing system is solid with the roller bearings on these.

Ticam 2, Colorado 2, Tibet
BvdwBvgh.jpg

I like that there are 5 eyelets below the lock on these
8n2oWbVh.jpg

VezfObRh.jpg

TV6HaYph.jpg

Notice the rand is not continous on the ticams
MTeb2D9h.jpg

PjIrN58h.jpg

Ticam & Alverstone
3CpWy6ah.jpg

j2BVX8eh.jpg

Ticam, Alverstone, Tibet
mjSqjlah.jpg

Ticam, Alverstone, & Kailash
b653jL5h.jpg

THRVXBlh.jpg

KI4PKbYh.jpg

psQGPOMh.jpg

M6DnBbGh.jpg

k5eJChMh.jpg

Left to Right is Kailash, Ticam, Alverstone
MCtaQWVh.jpg

sndmn11

WKR
I am trying to work out a full leather "wide" boot review by the likes of Hoffman, Lathrop, Schnee's, Crispi to do what you just did on here; compare a bunch for fit on the same foot at the same time.

I have the Alverstone II wides and do like them a good bit.

Did you get stuck with all of these?

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I am trying to work out a full leather "wide" boot review by the likes of Hoffman, Lathrop, Schnee's, Crispi to do what you just did on here; compare a bunch for fit on the same foot at the same time.

No, I meant to add that gohunt is great with their returns and sending a prepaid label for a minimal fee deducted from the credit. Well worth the cost if you if you're not by a store that carries many.

Benzburr

FNG

I hear several say that the Crispi Wyoming 2 are great for wide feet

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I hear several say that the Crispi Wyoming 2 are great for wide feet
I tried the Wyoming's last year and liked them aside from the heel cup. The forefoot was good from what I remember and what I wrote down. They're mentioned in the 2020 link at the top of the original post.

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
"...ordered 10 pairs to try..."

I am clearly in the wrong profession.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
"...ordered 10 pairs to try..."

I am clearly in the wrong profession.
😂 I wish… just makes sure you return them before the credit card statement closes and payment is due!!