Antler Darkening (opinions wanted)

BrentH

WKR
Looking for opinions on what to do/try next.

This buck was from this past season. First picture shows the antler color the day it was killed. There is some dirt on it from when it made its death run. It was also raining, so the antlers were wet.

3D9CF9C3-BEF7-476E-B752-EA7B5125122C.jpeg

These next two pictures show the color of the antlers when we got the euro back from the taxi.

69D4A2A9-EAEA-440B-879D-AE313AC0978A.jpeg

A0F150E8-9F38-4283-8B76-81F3CCA7CCAC.jpeg

Not sure what happened, or why they are so much lighter. Wanted to try and get them back to their original color, so researched the different methods and tried the coffee ground approach. Tried three different coffees, the last being the darkest roast Folgers makes. In the end, it seemed like all three had about the same effect on the color. It got darker, but I still don’t think it’s back to the original color.

182F92EE-1BEA-4854-98F8-C2E39B35E8C6.jpeg

F117F397-B511-4D3F-AE9B-EDD330904934.jpeg

1C0E630F-32EB-49ED-A800-B55799A5C862.jpeg

So, is there just a limit on how much color they will absorb? If I want them darker, do I just need to go to a different method? Would you just call this good enough?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
looks fine, I wouldn't fret. They naturally vary all over the map with tree types they rub, laying in sun etc.

mlchase

FNG
Agree - they look great! I have shout couple bucks/bulls in the rain that were much darker in the pics than they were after they dried out, so pretty sure that is what you are seeing. Coffee treatment looks great. I do have some antler stain that I have used on sheds, but it gets they really dark really quick and is easy to over do. So leave it and enjoy!

JeffP_Or

WKR
I agree with the others - these look great! I suspect your taxi simply cleaned/scrubbed them in the shop when working them over. If you want them a bit darker, first thing I would try taking them outside and rub them with tree bark, dirt, rotten leaves etc and get them back dirty.

EdP

WKR
Different materials need different types of dye. Antlers are protein based rather than vegetable based. Wood is vegetable so wood stains are not going to work well. They may dry on the surface but will rub off easily. To change the color and have it bind to the antler you need a dye for protein. You can find it anywhere that sells hair dye for women.

OP
BrentH

BrentH

WKR
Thanks guys! I’ll probably just go ahead and leave them as-is so I don’t end up going too dark.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I use coffee grounds on sheds and freshen up my mounts. I rub the used coffee grounds in my yard with a set of latex gloves. Works great and add a little bit of chocolate color to the mounts. I never touch the antler tips though; leave those alone (lighter).

I've used wood stain and I've found it to work, but sometime too well and it can darken the antlers too much.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Burnt umber oil based paint mix with a little acetone is what I use on sheds that have faded. But IMO they look fine as is.

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried it myself so proceed with caution, but I heard from an old timer that he'd use used motor oil on sheds and deadheads with good results (presumably after letting it air out before putting on the wall)

WCB

WKR
I've done the coffe thing a bunch...I have also added small amounts of shoe polish or dye to it. Since I do my own euros I've tested a bunch of sheds and have a bunch of different tones pretty well figure. If the bases get a little too light from simmering during the euroing process I quick mix up a batch test on a shed.

I think yours look great and would leave as is.

I used black shoe polish wax first, rubbing it in then wiping it off. Then I applied brown shoe polish wax over that then wiped it off. Came out looking good. It was a dead head, and bleached white when I found it.

MBN

FNG
Potassium permanganate has worked the best for me. I have used it quite a few times. The darker you want them the more coats you put on and if it is too dark steel wool removes it. One or two coats seems to work most of the time. It seems more forgiving than polish or stain. Oddly goes on very purple but darkens as it dries. Not very expensive and only need a few teaspoons.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They look great bud. However, if you want them to look darker, use acrylic paint and touch up and blend a tiny amount of dark brown, dark mahogany, tan and bone colors as touch up accents that you spread and wisp in the key places low near the pedicles and up the shaft, leaving the tips rubbed bone like they already are.

stains are too runny, too fake.