Anti Hunter Backpackers/Hikers

JPD350

WKR
On another thread someone mentioned getting a pack in a non camo color if you are going to do summer backpacking as well as hunting, I personally would have a hard time letting an anti dictate what colors I wore just so I didn't offend them.

Have any of you actually ran across backpacker people that were hostile or snide to you just cause you had a camo pack or camo clothes? if so did you engage them in conversation? so far I haven't, I have only met friendly people even while holding my bow and in full hunting gear. I guess if I ever ran into any bad apples I would just smile and say hello, it wouldn't bother me a bit if they didn't respond. I feel if I had an opportunity to verbally engage them on the trail about hunting it would be a good interesting conversation.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read the thread and the post, I didn't get the impression that is what he meant or was saying. I don't usually get the camo stuff because I just get sick of camo.

On the other topic, I have only ran into fairly friendly people, if they were anti hunting they didn't mention it to me.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had good luck as well and that's pretty amazing for some of the areas I hike in Colorado. Every now and then I will strike up a conversation with someone that is kinda anti, but still on the bubble and those have all went well.

Not everyone knows the dates of hunting season and sometimes it is a little easier to walk by someone (during scouting season) instead of taking the time to let them know hunting season isn't for a couple months.

littlebuf

Banned
up here in leftern Washington one would think that this would be more of a issue.but ive never had the problem.ive bumped into people that are not hunters or maybe a little anti hunting but ive always got a smile and good conversation to offer.we have different views but a positive approach can go a long way.ive even been surprised a time or two when people i thought would never inquire about specifics started asking questions about hunting and sincerely listening to my replies.its all in the approach.but my packs still in multi cam and it still makes me invisible

Same here. In fact this year I seemed to run into a number of people hiking through the area. One guy and I even talked for an hour before a bull bugled and HE ENDED the conversation by saying you better go get him ... "GOOD LUCK"!!

He was amazed at the technology and engineering in the equipment that I was using ( Hoyt Carbon Matrix PLUS ). And when we got on the topic of gear we shared quite a bit of the same. Real good guy...except for the fact that he was hiking with his two siblings from PA who were "slowing him down...FLATLANDERS" and so he struck off ahead of them. By his estimations they were a good day and a half back and around 17 miles since he was slowing down a little!!!

Great brother there :)

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Only time I have ever heard of issues between hunters and antis was in the Jackson area years ago. I don't even know that it was necessarily true either, mostly hear say. I think the battle has changed from protesting what we are doing, to fighting it in the court rooms.

There must have been issues at one time or another here in CO as well or DOW (now CPW) has put restricted season structures as is for safety . There is one or two Units in the state for Mountain Goat and Bighorn that only allows weekday hunting. They are Units popular for viewing wildlife as well as hiking. (But I am just guessing on the reasons)

The only time I thought I was going to have a problem was after I killed a bull in Nevada. I had four guys who were non-hunters walk right up to me as I breaking down my bull. A couple of them started asking questions about why I hunt and how could I kill such a beautiful animal. Then they asked if they could watch and learn how an animal was taken apart. After some good conversation and finishing up the bull the guys asked if I wanted help packing the bull out. That made my day a lot easier!

Never really had a problem in the past. Ran into some friendly hikers when I was toting my bow around, and they asked when rifle season started. They told me they would make sure to stay out of the woods during the rifle season because they did not want someone to shoot them or their dogs. Then went on about how dangerous rifle hunters are, and how they shoot at everything that moves.
I tried to have educate them a little, but not sure it went over too well.

On another thread someone mentioned getting a pack in a non camo color if you are going to do summer backpacking as well as hunting, I personally would have a hard time letting an anti dictate what colors I wore just so I didn't offend them.

I was the one that posted that. And I didn't mean that non hunters dictate what pack color I get. I meant it more for if you use your pack for other things during the year and don't want camo 24/7. I use my packs year round. Hunting, backpacking, winter camping, photography, vacations, etc. So having a non camo pack can be nice if i don't feel like looking "military" or "hunting" 365 days a year. Everyone is different thou. Thats just me.

Kifaru packs (1st generation) used to be black with the ability to put camo fleece panels on. The reason being is you could use the camo for hunting and take them off for when your not hunting. Now they are offered in Foliage, CB, and Muilti cam. But back in the day that was the reason.

As far as your other question. Last spring I was hiking up a trailhead to turkey hunt. I ran into a lady who kinda had her panties in a wad. She said "Oh gosh. You are hunting? I didn't realize there was hunting during the spring too!" I explained most of the hunting is during the fall, but turkey occurs during the spring.

Also had one encounter at a resturant with a friend after coming back from a hunt. Some non hunter was making rude comments to us. My buddy got in his face. But that is about all that happened.

Overall I have never really had many problems. but I also dissapear out in the woods and never have much contact with people.

I am proud to be a hunter!! But I dont wear camo 24/7 like some walmart redneck. but each to their own.

Last edited:

Pueblo

FNG
What a coincidence that this thread got started today as I was just going to pop on and ask a similar question. The trail heads I've used in Nevada, Oregon and Washington have been very rustic, either way off the pavement, some even requiring a "low-range" grind up a mountain, so I've not been near a significant population of non-hunters. However I've applied for a Colorado unit that may be very different. The best trail head to get to the area I want to hunt is paved and has busloads of day hikers dumped off on a regular basis who walk the first mile or two of the trail. I can access the area from a different point but the walk is at least a couple of miles further. Is it worth the trouble or do I deal with the dozens of non-hunters with my camo and bow slung on my pack? Like all of us, my goal is to show up back at the trail head with pack full of meat and a fuzzy rack.

On my return drives from successful trips to Nevada and SE Oregon I've noticed the different reactions I get from having a rack visible in the bed of the truck when I stop for gas. In Burns, OR I'll get a lot of positive interest; if I gas up in Bend, OR the reception is very cool.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If they say anything, remind them that you are just harvesting your own hamburger, unlike them who hire professional assasins (butcher) to kill theirs.

Pueblo,

don't worry about it. I have never had issues in colorado. It does surprise me..but we are who we are!!!! We have our own beliefs and they have theirs. The difference is that ours is predicated on truth and biology where theirs is some fictitious story they have allowed to be put in their heads by others. Be proud of who we are! We are a true minority!!!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Evan, we have nothing to be ashamed of.

I find many aren't really anti-hunters, they just don't understand hunting. Often, when they talk to you and find out you're not the blood-thirsty Bubba PETA has portrayed, they relax and go on eating their hamburger like nothing happened.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I don't really use trails when I am hunting and rarely see another person. On one of the few occasions I did hunt in an area common accessed by others it was bow hunting for bears in a very popular weekend get away area close to our largest city Anchorage, went in on a week day and only saw a couple people. Coming out on a Saturday with the bear all tucked away in a dry bag in the bike trailer, many asked going out what we were hunting (I was peddling with the bow on my back), "What are you hunting for?" I replied "Black Bears", "oh you didn't get any huh", "nope he's rolled up in the bike trailer". I was very surprised at the lack of nasty glances as usually I attempt to down play the fact that I am hunting for the most part. :D

hodgeman

WKR
I've never had an issue with an anti in the field... a few wrote nasty things on my blog and a few wrote anonymous barbed emails, <delete> pretty much sums it up. Most of the really rabid antis are rarely ever found in the field and are usually found hiding behind screen names and lurking digitally from the urban coffee shop.

That said- I really don't like camo gear and buy most of my stuff in solids. No particular reason, just don't like camo.

I haven't had any "confrontations" but hiking some of the trails into wilderness areas with a glock on my belt got me some weird looks. Even had a few people ask me what I was doing, I said scouting for hunting season, and they were surprised that you could/allowed to hunt the wilderness area. If they had a problem with it they were mostly just snobbish. Had one elderly couple ask me if the pistol on my belt was real, I answered yes. Then they asked what for. I said since I had my 3 yr old with me it was mostly for the 2 legged predators but there were mountain lions and wolves recently sighted in the area. Then they asked if was for rattlesnakes also. I said no I would probably just avoid a snake, no need to just kill stuff. They replied a little abruptly with "good because there are no rattle snakes here". I had to laugh and wish them a good hike. I seem to get more of chuckle then frustrated when dealing with anti's.