Another where would you go post.

Was planning a trip to visit the nat’l parks with my son in CA, circa 2020 (covid). The plan was to rent one of those gypsy camper vans for a week long adventure. Enter Covid 19 and lockdowns and we postponed.

Now that we’re past Covid, we are doing it again (June 5-12). This time we’re renting out of Denver and making our way west/north through ID, and MT. We will visit a few places along the way (Craters of the Moon, then north to Glacier). On the return trip we will go through Yellowstone and back to Denver (to sorta highlight the ruite). The purpose of the trip is to show my son the beauty of the rockies while trying to catch our dinner (flyrods) along the way. We probably won’t spend much time in Glacier or Yellowstone because I’m not a fan of crowds. With that being said, we don’t plan on spending too much time on major highways.

A buddy and my 14-yo son will be on the trip. I have a few friends in Ennis and we will do a half day float trip on the Madison. I’ve hunted and fished throughout NM, CO, ID, MT, and WY, but most places have been near my hunting unit.

The point of this post is to get some recommendations for must fish places and must see places along the way. What say ye?

Last edited:

bigmoose

WKR
On your way to Glacier you could stop at the Bison Range. Lots of animals to see including mule deer, bears, elk, antelope, big horn sheep, and, of course, bison.

Scrappy

WKR
Enter Yellowstone via the route that takes you through red lodge Montana. Just make sure the pass is open.

fatlander

WKR
Not sure how tied to Denver and CO you are. You could fly into SLC and save yourself quite a bit of time. Antelope Island just north of SLC is very cool. Lots of bison, mule deer, and big horns. There’s some pretty incredible places up in the Uintas and Wasatch that you could hit on your way back down to SLC. If you end up going that route, PM and I’ll drop you some pins on some incredible high country lake fishing with views that rival anything I’ve seen in Montana and Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
isItFallYet
Not sure how tied to Denver and CO you are. You could fly into SLC and save yourself quite a bit of time. Antelope Island just north of SLC is very cool. Lots of bison, mule deer, and big horns. There’s some pretty incredible places up in the Uintas and Wasatch that you could hit on your way back down to SLC. If you end up going that route, PM and I’ll drop you some pins on some incredible high country lake fishing with views that rival anything I’ve seen in Montana and Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was originally planning on going out from SLC, but it saves me about $1k in van rental fees.

OP
isItFallYet
Probably extending my trip a few days. Basic route:

Attachments

• 5400A81A-73F8-4272-95EC-C4B680F9002B.jpeg
    5400A81A-73F8-4272-95EC-C4B680F9002B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

Wheels

WKR
Have you ever floated the Canyon of Ladore thru the Dinosaur Monument in NW CO? Was up there last fall hunting and that looks like it would be a great float trip. Might even see some huge elk in the monument.

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
Going to the Sun road in Glacier won’t be open during your time frame. Takes a bit to clear all the snow and land slides on the road. You can get updates for information. MTG

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a great trip but a ton of windshield time. I think I would trim Glacier off the list so you won't have to go so far north. Plus much of it may not even be open yet. This way it would be a great excuse to go back for another trip with your son. I would definitely try to hit Jackson Hole and Cody if possible. Paradice Valley between Gardiner and Livingston is a beautiful place too right along the Yellowstone river. Multiple places to fish in that stretch of river.