Another trip to the Dinger Farm

Nothing great to report - just another good outing with a Knight

Different rifle this time - I took my Knight Stainless Steel 45 cal fast twist.

The goal of the trip was to confirm that the rifle was sighted in with the Lehigh .400x230CF-HP Brass bullet. And a second goal was to load a couple of the resized Lehigh .458x260 Sabotless bullets. They have been resized to .451.

I did not use a paper target at all as I was sure the rifle was sighted in from a previous trip. So, I setup 5 clays at 100 yards. You can see the Lentils are starting to pop up and using clays is going to get more difficult to see. The adjacent field is Winter Wheat and it is already to tall place clays. It will not be long before I move to the Pope farm to shoot. Gas is to darn expensive to drive the truck out and back to the Rock Pit.

The two bullets on the right are the two versions of the Lehigh .400x230 I wanted to test. The red sabot is a special run of a MMP sabot that Del pushed out of the MMP factory several years ago when I suggested that a sabot with a longer petals might well be needed for the longer ML bullets being made. The Tan sabot is the normal MMP 40-45 sabot.

Lehigh-40-Cal.jpg

It did turn out to be a very good day - actually a couple of hours - leisurely shooting at the farm. The rifle and the bullets destroyed the clays. Although... the 3rd bird either from right or the left did cause me a problem. You can see that I set it up to deep in the soil, and was really difficult to see or to get a bullet to without hitting the soil. It did take make me two shots to pummel it - but I got it!

SS-56-Shoot.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I bet that 230 grain bullet is cruising in front of that 120 gr Blackhorn.

You mentioned “fast twist” on that Knight. What is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sabotloader
I bet that 230 grain bullet is cruising in front of that 120 gr Blackhorn.

I have ran the bullet and load through the chrono and plgged the information into a ballistic sheet shot with 120 gr. Vol of BH.

Lehigh-40x230-CF-HP.jpg

You mentioned “fast twist” on that Knight. What is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The two new ULite 45's I have are both 1-20 twists. One is a Nitride version with a BESTILL 2 piece rear sealing BP and the other is a SS with the Lehigh plug. I found the Nitride on a For Sale sight and attempted to get it ordered and at the same time a person offered to trade me his 45 SS version for a 50 cal ULite. Both opportunities ended up here in Moscow a couple of days apart. Some times really good accidents happpen!!

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have ran the bullet and load through the chrono and plgged the information into a ballistic sheet shot with 120 gr. Vol of BH.

Lehigh-40x230-CF-HP.jpg

The two new ULite 45's I have are both 1-20 twists. One is a Nitride version with a BESTILL 2 piece rear sealing BP and the other is a SS with the Lehigh plug. I found the Nitride on a For Sale sight and attempted to get it ordered and at the same time a person offered to trade me his 45 SS version for a 50 cal ULite. Both opportunities ended up here in Moscow a couple of days apart. Some times really good accidents happpen!!
2200 fps is cooking right along

So 1:20. Are these designed specifically for sabots?

OP
sabotloader
2200 fps is cooking right along

So 1:20. Are these designed specifically for sabots?

I think I would suggest - that they are designed for the longer heavier bullets that are coming on the market today versus the older 1-30 twist.

Also remember, Doc White 45's were 1-20 and even the original Knight Super DISC was 1-20. The reall problem with the 1-20 of that period of time was the shooting bullets in sabots. The polymer formulas of the time could not handle the torque created in that fast of twist

This picture shows the old white sabot of the those days and a comparison of the same sabot built using the new polymer formal. Del Ramsy of MMP sabots ran these red sabots with the new formula for comparison. We talked about the sabot and his thoughts were if he could afford to build a new mold along the lines of today's MMP sabot with the stepped base it would hold up awesome. Can't believe what it costs to create the sabot mold.

Torn_Power_Star.jpg

This second pic shows how much better the new formula holds up to the torque.

Sabots-zps5c704452.jpg

This is another comparison showing the better durability of the new formulation by both MMP and Harvester. If Del could afford to get a new mold with a stepped base it would be even better. Although the MMP 4045 sabot is not listed as a HPH sabot - he assured me several years ago that they were using the HPH polymer making this particular sabot. Even though Del is no longer with us I do not think the company has reversed course

40-45-Sabots.jpg