Annealing

Weldor

WKR
I'm just taking a dive down the annealing rabbit hole! Is there any other method for detecting temperature other than Tempilaq? Would a heat laser gun work as well? With Templiaq over $50 for the tiny amount needed to determine time in the flame, seems crazy.

Tim
Tempilag is a pain. it has a shelf life. unless you use for alot of brass it goes to waste. I have used to get my base line and the keep a log book for the type and time for ea caliber brass. Have not tried my laser.

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
Dark room and orange glow for me. I use a giraud machine and after enough use have gained a feel for how to set it up and how it looks on brass. Though different brands are slightly different.
I have found that i like to err on the side of longer anneal time than short as it makes bullet seating feel much more consistent.

Weldor

WKR
There is some good info on youtube, it is worth checking out.

OP
R

Rugger7622

Lil-Rokslider
I agree on YouTube, that's where I saw a couple videos of just using your fingers, as long as the brass gets to temp before the heat gets to your fingers!

Vern400

WKR
I got a batch of once fired, same head stamp brass recently. I loaded about 10 and noticed a big difference in bullet seating effort in the press. The only explanation for that is the hardness of the brass.

So I annealed it. I used the Lee lock stud that's used for trimming cases, and a cordless drill to spin it slowly. I held the cases in the flame of a propane torch for about 8 seconds while spinning the cases at about 30 RPM. I adjusted the time in the flame so that my freshly cleaned and annealed brass looked just like my brand new Lapua brass. I tumbled the brass in Walnut media to remove any oxidation or Garbage inside the neck.

After that, all the bullets seated with a lower, and more consistent force in the press. I know I did not overcook the brass. I have no intention of buying an annealing machine. I think this is one of the steps that makes your brass last longer, and may provide a more consistent bullet release Force which may provide a tiny improvement in ES Or groups. Good enough for me.

I'd rather save the money and get a Garmin Xero. I think that will help me more with my process.

manitou1

WKR
I got a batch of once fired, same head stamp brass recently. I loaded about 10 and noticed a big difference in bullet seating effort in the press. The only explanation for that is the hardness of the brass.

So I annealed it. I used the Lee lock stud that's used for trimming cases, and a cordless drill to spin it slowly. I held the cases in the flame of a propane torch for about 8 seconds while spinning the cases at about 30 RPM. I adjusted the time in the flame so that my freshly cleaned and annealed brass looked just like my brand new Lapua brass. I tumbled the brass in Walnut media to remove any oxidation or Garbage inside the neck.

After that, all the bullets seated with a lower, and more consistent force in the press. I know I did not overcook the brass. I have no intention of buying an annealing machine. I think this is one of the steps that makes your brass last longer, and may provide a more consistent bullet release Force which may provide a tiny improvement in ES Or groups. Good enough for me.

I'd rather save the money and get a Garmin Xero. I think that will help me more with my process.
You're gonna love the Garmin.

OP
R

Rugger7622

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread. For my 300 wsm brass, I’ve switched to a cordless screwdriver and socket and doing it in the dark until the next just turns orange/red. I get that annealed silver look down about 1/4” past the shoulder doing this method. I haven’t loaded any since annealing and I’m curious to see what I find out. I did 10 pieces of nickel brass as well. No annealing line, but the should turned orange the same as brass.

The thing I learned the most from the Hornady podcast is that they found no real difference in brass life from annealing every time vs annealing every 3 times. They said their best performance was 1-2x firing after annealing.
Yea I thought that was interesting as well. Annealing allows your load to stay the same I think thou. So there’s a benefit to annealing after every firing.