And another stolen elk skull

BDRam16

WKR
We are still at the point of trading something we like for money. I think that is called prostitution. Its probably time to elimonate the market.
Well that’s a stupid metaphor. I put a quarter into an arcade game because I like it…is that prostitution? I paint a picture and someone likes it and gives me money and now I’m a prostitute? Might want to go back to the drawing board on your comparison.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I told my kids that when I croak to tear apart my mounts and euros and sell the antlers.
Should be worth a few thousand bucks
I know where you live. They might come up missing if I hear a rumor you croaked!

CorbLand

WKR
I was at a gas station a while back and an antler buyer was next to me fueling up so I had to take a look at all the antlers. No sheds, all sawed off from the skull. Makes you wonder how many are legit.
Don’t they cut the bases off even if they are sheds? I am pretty sure they do so the antler buyer can’t turn around and sell them to be used for a mount. Basically ensures they are chopped up or ground up.

hunterjmj

WKR
Don’t they cut the bases off even if they are sheds? I am pretty sure they do so the antler buyer can’t turn around and sell them to be used for a mount. Basically ensures they are chopped up or ground up.
I don't really know but what I saw all had a bit of pedicle still attached. I've never sold antlers so I've never paid much attention. Next time I see a buyer I'll check it out. It seems if you were paying thousands for a chandelier you'd want the bases intact.

svivian

WKR
No that’s why finding big sets are even more valuable then the bone itself

Brooks

WKR
Teen age neighbor kid killed a big 6x7 bull a couple years ago and couldn’t afford to get it mounted so he screwed it to the wall on his parents front deck . Someone stole it.

OP
BigE

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
This is a heck of a phenomenon and we keep hearing more and more instances of it. What is more valuable a set of antlers or a catalytic converter? Where I'm located in AZ right now, there are several neighboring houses that have sets mounted outside their cabins or garages. It's a quiet area without much crime, but still...

ewade07

WKR
This is a heck of a phenomenon and we keep hearing more and more instances of it. What is more valuable a set of antlers or a catalytic converter? Where I'm located in AZ right now, there are several neighboring houses that have sets mounted outside their cabins or garages. It's a quiet area without much crime, but still...
What amazes me is the number of people who just have them laying out as yard decorations. My moms neighbor has one side of a 300"+ bull just sitting in an old planter outside his house. That things just laying in the sun rotting away....

Natekraft

FNG
Maybe I've missed something in all of these threads about stolen Elk heads, but what do these thieves actually do with them? Sell them to the those people that have roadside stands with those signs that say "We Buy Antlers" or are there other places they can get money for them?
Yep! In MT they have been stealing heads out of trucks and selling them to horn buyers. It’s pretty sad you can no longer leave game in your truck without a chain around it

Absolutely terrible. It's a sad reality that you have to watch your back when you harvest a good animal. I felt that this year all trip long after shooting a 6x6 bull on opening day. It shouldnt be this way but even worse when it's out of your own backyard.