Anchorage sports show

Floorguy

WKR
First time going to the Anchorage show had my 3 year old daughter with me so had to pick and choose where I stopped. Got to meet Larry and got his "Terra Incognita" video. Larry sometime I am in Fairbanks I will have to talk packrafts with you.

Got stopped by proving trail adventures when they asked me about the kryptek koldo jacket I was wearing. Found out they were using a quote from me on another forum about how their video was the first hunting video she has watched and liked normally she gets up and finds something else to do. Got to try on the stone glacier pack they had with about 35 lbs in it. I can say that while it wasn't much weight it definitely felt good.

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
Wasn't too impressed with this years show. Same old stuff as years prior. It seemed like discounts and deals to be had were lacking as well.

I was also able to finally get my hands on and take a good look at the SG packs. My experience somewhat differs than floorguys, in that I wasn't too impressed with the quality of materials. I guess I just expected a little more out of a "premium" pack that commands a premium price tag.

jherald

WKR
The pack is designed as ultra- lightweight backcountry foot humper type pack, materials the pack is made of are all the lightest weight available to keep the 6,000 cu pack under 4 lbs as a starting weight. It's not much to look at at first glance, but throw a 100 lbs in it and get it loaded right on you with the fit and load lifters and you'll see the difference. However it's also not a pack for everyone and the frame itself only comes in one size. Some cant get a fit with it even with adjusting the shoulder straps and waist belt. Sorry about the tangent guys!

Only a few things i really wanted to check out at the show, nrs drift boat raft and sat phones. Oh yeah, and the proving trail guys. Super down to earth and humble guys. Very friendly crew.

magpie

Banned
I thought the show was ok. Highlight was talking to Larry Bartlett, that guy is down to earth and "gets it". After buying the new Terra Incognita dvd I went home and watched it. One of the best hunting dvd's I've ever watched. So I went back today and bought all his other dvd's. And of course I eye f%#@ his pack rafts. Here soon I'll get one.

I have to agree with O Really regarding the SG pack. I was also disappointed that Kifaru's new pack wasn't there.

Some pretty good deals on fishing charters were out there, but other then that there wasn't much in the way of "sales"

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
I do realize the type of materials used were most likely to keep weight down. My uses involve extremely heavy loads, it was quite apparent that the SG would not be sufficient for my uses. I am not saying that it is a bad pack, or sucks, or anything like that, but for carrying 100-150 and possibly more, the SG isn't gonna cut it.
The new Mountain Elite pack from Barney's would serve my purposes much better, and it adds only 3.5lbs compared to the SG.

You are correct though, the Proving trail guys were very humble and down to earth, I did enjoy chatting with them.

I was also able to finally get my hands on and take a good look at the SG packs. My experience somewhat differs than floorguys, in that I wasn't too impressed with the quality of materials. I guess I just expected a little more out of a "premium" pack that commands a premium price tag.

hmm... It's made mostly of 500d cordura... same as Barneys, same as Kifaru, same as Mystery Ranch.. What part were you not impressed with?

I've got one in hand, and the webbing, buckles, etc are all pretty much the same quality as my Barneys. Are you talking about the frame, or harness?

The new Mountain Elite pack from Barney's would serve my purposes much better, and it adds only 3.5lbs compared to the SG.

This sounds interesting. A new bag, or a total redesign?

Yk

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
hmm... It's made mostly of 500d cordura... same as Barneys, same as Kifaru, same as Mystery Ranch.. What part were you not impressed with?

I've got one in hand, and the webbing, buckles, etc are all pretty much the same quality as my Barneys. Are you talking about the frame, or harness?

This sounds interesting. A new bag, or a total redesign?

Yk

The Barney's I have is made largely of Dynema..... has that changed?

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
No, I don't think its a total redesign. From what the Barney guy said, it sounded more like they cut some of the frivilous zippers and pockets. Same size as their Hunter bag, from what I understand, just without some of the frills. 7.5 lbs total weight including the frame is what I was told.

I am aware that most pack makers use 500 cordura for their main pack bag, it was more of an overall perception of the quality. The buckles did seem chincy. I obviously did not have any other makes of packs side to by side to compare, so my observation may be off, but while handling and wearing the SG, it just did not seem up to the quality that I was expecting. I am definitely not a fan of the load cell theory, but that has nothing to do with material quality. It most definitely wouldn't serve my hunting purposes as well as an external frame pack does, but I was quite aware that the SG targets a different style of hunting than what I often participate in. It is my impression that the SG targets the minimalist solo hunter, or a lower 48 backpack hunter.

While I do my fair share of solo backpack hunts, it just doesn't serve the requirements I desire for my style of hunting. Bottom line is, it may be a great pack (it would definitely make a nice day pack), but to me, the materials looked and felt 'cheap'.

The Barney's I have is made largely of Dynema..... has that changed?

They have been made in several fabrics. The originals were 1000d cordura, and then he introduced a 500d version with a dyneema grid ripstop that is now the standard. It's still 500d as a base cloth though. Last year he was also selling a plain 500d cordura version for a few dollars cheaper.

There was a prototype being tested a few years ago of what I think was an all dyneema pack, but it didn't make it to production at that point. Maybe he's making it now?

Yk

No, I don't think its a total redesign. From what the Barney guy said, it sounded more like they cut some of the frivilous zippers and pockets. Same size as their Hunter bag, from what I understand, just without some of the frills. 7.5 lbs total weight including the frame is what I was told.

Thanks O'Really

Funny thing, I basically did that exact thing to a Pinnacle bag. Cut most the extra off of it and got it down to 7.5 lbs. Works great.

As a matter of fact, I pitched a similar idea to Bob on this forum about a year ago.

Like many Alaskan's, I'm solidly in the Barney Pack camp. ... My one complaint is that the bags have become a little TOO well featured. Lots of options added over the years with input from many many guides, has made it a good, but complicated bag. ...

A couple of years ago, I actually designed up a much simpler bag for my frame and tried to have it built by a local custom sew shop. Unfortunately, the project fell through for various reasons, but it would have looked similar what Aron and Kifaru came up with on for the Timberline. Basically, it had big (Pinnacle size) main compartment, one rear pocket, a simple long side pocket, and a minimal top lid. ... Are you listening Bob? Just think, it would be cheaper to make and you could charge sheep hunters a premium for the "extralite" version!

I'm serious! A pack like that could compete weight wise with the Timberline Duplex, but have the external frame that we Alaskan guys love for serious meat hauling.

Yk

Guess I'm not the only one, and he was listening. :)

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
You are correct Yk, the Dyneema portion of a Barney pack is just the grid stitching.

And now that you mention it, I believe the Mountain Elite pack is without the dyneema grid as well.

He was definitely listening to ya, Bob isn't a dummy.

magpie

Banned
The SG crowd at the expo was talking smack saying the Kifaru boys were too chicken to show up hahahahaha

I just sold my MR 7500 and I was going to buy either a Kifaru or SG. After seeing the SG I decided it wasn't the pack for me. I'll have to wait and see how my buddy likes the new bikini frame. Until then I'll rock the Barney's pack! (pinnacle)

The SG crowd at the expo was talking smack saying the Kifaru boys were too chicken to show up hahahahaha

I just sold my MR 7500 and I was going to buy either a Kifaru or SG. After seeing the SG I decided it wasn't the pack for me. I'll have to wait and see how my buddy likes the new bikini frame. Until then I'll rock the Barney's pack! (pinnacle)

What did you not like about the SG pack?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I'm afraid of the wolves:)

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So I guess you won't make the Fairbanks show either?

Haha

I'll be at that one:) I'm being a smart ass about the wolves!

Kifaru has a lot in the hopper these days and it's time consuming.

Sorry I didn't make it, but I promise it was for a good cause!