Am I Throwing Away $150 Per Year On Wyoming Sheep?

I currently have 9 points for sheep in Wyoming I’m a non resident and am age 35. According to the research I’ve done here are some numbers:
-There is over 4,200 non residents with the same or more points than me.
-40 tags were given to non residents with the most points who applied for a specific unit(preference point draw)
-Only 4! Tags were given to non residents in the random pool(of which I’m a part of)
- If current trends hold true, assuming no one drops out of buying points, there is a backlog of about 100 years worth of sheep tags (4,200/40)
So I guess my question is am I stupid to continuing to buy a sheep point in Wyoming every year? I’m already paying $70 a year to be in the random draw in Wyoming for sheep and the odds are terrible for the unit I put in for as it’s one of the only that can be drawn and hunted in the “random” draw without hiring a guide (The odds for that last year were 1 in 979!). Sorry for the long post but I’m pretty sure I’m drawing dead and throwing away $150 every year with 0% chance of ever being in the preference point draw for sheep. Am I wrong for throwing in the towel now and using that money for raffle ticket, saving for a sheep hunt in Canada/Alaska or wiping my rear end with? Thanks

Chad E

WKR
Unless the system changes which they do at times, you wont ever make it to the preference part of the draw considering all the point holders ahead of you and the extremely low tag numbers.

OP
BeaverHunter
Unless the system changes which they do at times, you wont ever make it to the preference part of the draw considering all the point holders ahead of you and the extremely low tag numbers.
Yea. That’s what I’m discovering after my research also.

Jimss

WKR
If I were you I would put your money towards a different sheep opportunity. There are some mighty fun trips you can do for a fraction of the cost......especially if you were planning on doing a guided sheep hunt. Last time I checked the guided sheep hunts in Wyo wilderness were going for $15,000+! You can do a mtn goat hunt in Alaska or elsewhere for a chunk less $ any year you want!

OP
BeaverHunter
Yea. I wouldn’t ever be able to afford a guided sheep hunt without some serious long term saving.

Being only 35 I bet you would out last a lot of the folks with more points than you. If you don't plan on going guided that severely limits the areas you can hunt and reduces your odds of success. Most guided hunts are in the 11000 range and by the time you draw they'll be more.

OP
BeaverHunter
Being only 35 I bet you would out last a lot of the folks with more points than you. If you don't plan on going guided that severely limits the areas you can hunt and reduces your odds of success. Most guided hunts are in the 11000 range and by the time you draw they'll be more.
Yea but part of me wonders if there is a bunch of other people thinking the same thing that they will “outlast” other people. And in 20 years I’ll be in the exact same position I am now. 🤔

Axlrod

WKR
Yea but part of me wonders if there is a bunch of other people thinking the same thing that they will “outlast” other people. And in 20 years I’ll be in the exact same position I am now. 🤔
maybe but if they are considerably older than 35 (you) they are going to lose that bet.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Can’t draw if you drop out. $12.50/month is worth it to me just for the dreams it provides. I’ve been in draws for a long long time with worse odds, but that’s why I’ve drawn a Beaver Mountain Goat in the random draw, a September Musk Ox hunt in AK, Bighorns in CO, 3 AZ elk tags, late Kiabab mule deer, and many others. Can’t draw if you quit.

I hate to say it but GIVE UP THIS WASTE OF MONEY. I gave up on Wyoming sheep preference points back in 2000 for the exact numerical impossibility odds you are up against 20!yrs later and glad I did . Even back than it was not even a reason for me to consider. I didn’t get in on the ground level of preference points.

At first preference points seemed to be the way to go but now I can see this is a money making scam. Think of young adults wanting to do this. They never will. If enough of the hunting base sees the numerically impossibility odds of drawing for sheep in preference states perhaps these states will change.

Take your $150 and put it towards raffles each year. Or Idaho which does not have a preference point system but you must buy a license. The best state in the lower 48 for Bighorn sheep draw odds for NonResidents.

Trial153

WKR
Your not catching wy with 9. I dumped 13 points and I know at this point its all throwing good money after bad.
If you do spend the money for the point at least apply for unit with a possible random tag, You might as well get in the draw for the 150.
Otherwise Might as well burn the 150 vs just buy a point, at least you will get the heat out of it.

Trial153

WKR
Idaho is great odds till you spend your 200+ and you get NR capped out, then you realize you werent even in the running a flushed 200 down the drain.

OP
BeaverHunter
Just so everyone understands, I’m not contemplating not applying for sheep in Wyoming anymore, just debating not buying the preference point anymore. Mainly because it looks like I’ll be in the random draw forever anyways. I still plan on putting in for sheep in Wyoming but wondering if it makes sense to buy a preference point anymore.

And I’m a resident of Idaho who already drew and harvested a bighorn a few years back.

Trial153

WKR
Just so everyone understands, I’m not contemplating not applying for sheep in Wyoming anymore, just debating not buying the preference point anymore. Mainly because it looks like I’ll be in the random draw forever anyways. I still plan on putting in for sheep in Wyoming but wondering if it makes sense to buy a preference point anymore.

And I’m a resident of Idaho who already drew and harvested a bighorn a few years back.
Thats a no go. The point fee will be automatically deducted from your refund.

OP
BeaverHunter
Your wy hunt will be guided as most sheep are in wilderness areas
I’ve been putting in for a unit that issues random tags but has enough sheep outside the wilderness. I won’t say the unit number but a smart person could figure out the unit.

OP
BeaverHunter
Thats a no go. The point fee will be automatically deducted from your refund.
I didn’t realize that. I thought you bought a point later in the year now like elk, deer and antelope? Maybe I’m an idiot and am wrong.

Trial153

WKR
I didn’t realize that. I thought you bought a point later in the year now like elk, deer and antelope? Maybe I’m an idiot and am wrong.
Works differently for sheep and moose, the point isnt optional, wy deducts it from your refund. Your paying 150 +15 + 2.5% of the tag cost and fronting the tag as well.... Otherwise applying would be a no brianer.

Elk/lope/deer now you have to go an buy the point later after the fras

OP
BeaverHunter
Works differently for sheep and moose, the point isnt optional, wy deducts it from your refund. Your paying 150 +15 + 2.5% of the tag cost and fronting the tag as well.... Otherwise applying would be a no brianer.

Elk/lope/deer now you have to go an buy the point later after the fras
Even more reason to stop putting in? $220 for a 1 in 900 odds is pretty terrible even for sheep.