Am I Throwing Away $150 Per Year On Wyoming Sheep?

Trial153

WKR
Wyoming requires applicants to submit all of the application fees plus license fees when applying for each species. The non-resident non-refundable application fee is $15 per species. Applicants for sheep also have a mandatory preference point fee of $150. Similarly, moose applicants have a $150 mandatory preference point fee. All hunters for all species are required to purchase a $12.50 Conservation Stamp prior to hunting. Fees must be paid in full by Visa, MasterCard, or Discover card. All applications and licenses paid for with a credit card will incur a 2.5% credit card processing fee. If you want to bowhunt during the archery season dates (where applicable), you will need to purchase the $72 non-resident archery license.

The above was up until 2020.

Now In 2021 the preference point fee for moose and sheep is optional.

However you will Still have to front the application fee and the total tag cost, also you will still have to pay the 2.5 % CC fee for 2500 application. Also keep

Your looking at about 100 bucks for shot at the one one to two NR random tags that will be available.

Last edited:
How many of the 4200 people ahead of you are fat? How many can't hike? How many are going to die of old age or quit hunting?

Look at the people with 20 points, how many of them do you think are 46? Do any of them have 30 points? How many of them are 56? I'd be cautious about analyzing it as purely point holders / permits.

WKR
I'd bag it. I also don't play any lotteries. If I want to sheep hunt again, I'll save up and hunt dalls in Alaska or mtn goats on Kodiak.

Everyone looks at the odds and makes their own decisions. Just for me, those odds for WY sheep with 9 points equals a hard pass for me. To each their own.

No points here, age 32. I'm out. I would entertain the random draw if it costs ~$100, but right now this state is a little lower on my priority list since I have to choose.

ALF

Lil-Rokslider
At this point, a Slam was a pipe dream anyway, but at least I got half way there......

Last edited:

ALF

Lil-Rokslider
b78v1Au.jpg

i dont bother. just deer and elk for me.I can always cash with a lesser hunt if i want to burn points. sheep its all or nothing. I think if i really wanted to hunt grand slam sheep i would try to find smaller trade shows or orgs with donated raffle hunts. think that's your best odds.

tdhanses

WKR
With the proposal to cut the NR tags in half I don’t see how it makes sense for anyone to stay in the game other then the few with the most points.

Reactions: OMB