Am I the only one who hates RF pouches on Bino Harnesses?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I use a marsupial bino harness, but have used FHF in the past as well. Does anyone else just totally despise carrying RF on their chest? Maybe I just need to get over it, but the pouches never seem to ride well. I think a Marsupial system with wings would obviously help that.

If you don't carry on your chest, I've been using a belt pouch on my pack a lot, but that doesn't work well rifle hunting. For archery, it's fine, a tad more movement.

Should I just get a marsupail RF pouch and get over it or anyone found a slicker system?

Using a Leica CRF-Pro, so it's tiny/light.

Macintosh

WKR
Not sure what it is you find problematic--for me the issue is when the pouch slides to the side or back of the side strap on the ino harness. I have a little gizmo that adds no weight or bulk and prevents sliding, so its a lot better, but for sure was annoying beforehand. Best solution is RF binos.

I don't like the RF mounted on "wings" I prefer the RF mounted directly to the side of the main bino pouch.

I hate having my RF anywhere else though. I want it on my chest region.

Antares

WKR
Like @Macintosh said, RF binos eliminate the problem entirely. I used to keep my RF in a pouch on the right side of my binos, now I have a glasses case there... because I'm getting older and I need my spectacles

pirogue

WKR
I don’t like anything else on the chest beside the binos. But I’m a bow hunter, so whether drawing or stalking, that Beverly Hillbillies’ truck look protruding from one’s chest, just isn’t for me.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
To clarify I don’t care for how they ride on the harness. I was using the maven RF with the wheel though, so it was larger. Never slide back on the harness, I guess that would be even worse.

ChrisAU

WKR
The FHF FOB where you can either use wings, or, like I do, attach it via molle directly to the bino harness on the side of the bino “bucket” (so it sits sideways compared to traditional) is the bees knees. It presents it self as you will bring it to your eye that way and adds minimal width.

The molle on the side is the reason I'm still running the FOB. Just keeps the RF compact and secure and right where I want it.

Attachments

• 20240801_174119.jpg
    20240801_174119.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20240801_174125.jpg
    20240801_174125.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 64

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't even like bino harnesses, so there's that. I keep my Leica in my front left shirt pocket (LH) with the strap around my neck. It's easy to grab, range, and then just let it drop if I'm taking a shot (bowhunting).

P Carter

WKR
I really dislike the pouches, for whatever reason they just don’t work for me. I’m also back and forth on a bino harness. I have my RF on a short lanyard with caribiner. When I have my pack on, it’s clipped to the shoulder strap. When I take it off, I either clip to the strap of a bino harness (if I’m wearing one), which I’ve added a dring to or clip to the zipper of my baselayer. This keeps it right near the face and you can just drop and shoot.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I use a Large Marsupial harness. Range finding binos, kestrel, two emergency bullets in a ziplock bag, extra lense cloth, and a pinch of emergency fire starter paste in a ziplock all fit in it with no issues. I can even slide my short Spartan bipod in when needed as well into the stretch side pouch.

Once you get used to it, it doesn’t bother me or get in the way at all. In fact, it’s become an effective and very quick to deploy rear rest as well.

Not a fan of extra pouches or things dangling off the harness.

Tick

WKR
The Rick Young harness is the only one I can stand to use. Rangefinder on it bow hunting and binos during rifle season.

Reactions: ZDR

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Forgot I also have a lighter, alcohol wipes for binos and scopes, extra ear plugs, spare RF bino batteries, and some extra AAA batteries for headlamps in there too. Kestrel and Spartan bipod in there along with the Meopta RF binos.

Heading out to shoot tomorrow morning and this thread reminded me to check my bino harness as I haven’t cleaned it out in ages.

I’d highly recommend going to RF binos. I understand the archery hint argument for separate unit but sounds like eliminating it if you can solves your issue.

IMG_8298.jpeg

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
I have a “franken bingo pouch” with an FHF RF pouch sewn onto the side. I also cut a slit on the front side of the RF pouch and slipped a piece of plastic in to stiffen it up. ( hold it open) The RF is tethered to the pouch with a stretchy cord. It all works for me.

KyleR1985

WKR

Original post pictures are gone.

But I built this when I saw it, and it’s all I use.

Never understood bulky bino harnesses.

Love it and it cost me about 20 bucks and an hour on the machine. Going on 5 years

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Forgot I also have a lighter, alcohol wipes for binos and scopes, extra ear plugs, and some extra AAA batteries for headlamps in there too. Kestrel and Spartan bipod in there along with the Meopta RF binos.

Heading out to shoot tomorrow morning and this thread reminded me to check my bino harness as I haven’t cleaned it out in ages.

I’d highly recommend going to RF binos. I understand the archery hint argument for separate unit but sounds like eliminating it if you can solves your issue.

View attachment 744335
This is a really good idea.

And ive been trying pretty hard to resist the RF Binos. The Sig kilo 10k I used (not owned) turned me mega off, but I take it the euro Leica/Swaro RF Binos are a lot better. Just got ELs last year. But I keep looking at 8x32 geovid pros because I’m weak. You’re right on the archery thing, although that’s becoming less of a reason.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The FHF FOB where you can either use wings, or, like I do, attach it via molle directly to the bino harness on the side of the bino “bucket” (so it sits sideways compared to traditional) is the bees knees. It presents it self as you will bring it to your eye that way and adds minimal width.
So I tried the FOB and genuinely, truly hated it. It just didn’t fit me well, especially the harness part. My marsupial is like a glove, and not without faults, but just so much better fitting for my torso. That airframe harness bulged bad in the back for me, and I couldn’t get the pouch to ride high like I want it. I’m not saying it’s bad, but it really showed why even a great thing doesn’t work if it doesn’t fit well.

That laser cut molle on the side was exactly why I tried it though, it’s just such a slick idea. I’m sure I’d like the RF pouch more that way as well.

clint6760

FNG
I’m the same way. I hate having a bino pouch and rangefinder pouch beside it. Takes up too much space on my chest. I use the marsupial bino harness. Wished I could come up with something to run the rangefinder attached to the side of the harness turned sideways.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
65b83f7f79f5ebbf661b86f9e3700e40.jpgI don't know that this does any good, but I picked up this older Muley Freak bino harness with the front pocket, and my range finder fits in there nicely. I don't really notice it's there and it doesn't interfere with my bow string. The extra inch protrusion noticeable when lying prone if you don't remove it, but that's about it.

I know Muley Freak 🤮. But I love the front pocket for the range finder.