Am I the only one who doesn’t use any gloves when I am gutting an animal out lol.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
For those who don’t wear gloves, do you wash your hands before breaking down the animal? Or you go from days in the field scratching any itch, then break the animal down without cleaning your hands?

If you’re at a restaurant and watch the cook scratch an itch then grab your steak and put it on the grill are you good with that too?

The Guide

WKR
I do now. I was cleaning a nice fat cow elk at -15⁰ one chilly December morning and got some elk fat under my finger nails. Thought nothing of it and we worked all day to get the 3 cows out of the roadless area over to where we could get machines to. My body couldn't warm that fat up naturally and it was like I had little ice cubes under my nails the entire day. Had a little frost bit on the tip of each finger and I peeled skin off my finger tips to the nail bed. I'm not worried about the blood and such but the stuff under your nails in the real cold will get you!

Jay

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I never set out without TP, water and at least two knives. Never used gloves and have no intention of starting now.

I don't use gloves and usually clean up afterwards with snow or in a creek depending where I am. It is rare that any of my kills are not in a snow bank. Usually after I am done I fill the cavity with snow. It speeds up the clean up process when we get the quarters home.

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
For those who don’t wear gloves, do you wash your hands before breaking down the animal? Or you go from days in the field scratching any itch, then break the animal down without cleaning your hands?

If you’re at a restaurant and watch the cook scratch an itch then grab your steak and put it on the grill are you good with that too?
I figure after I quarter a bear in the mud and look like I just murdered multiple people, covered in blood from neck to knees and mud from there down, whether my hands are “clean” or not is pretty much the least of my concerns. Buying extra ice in town on the way home without being detained ranks higher as does keeping all that mud off of the meat initially. But I am careful not to scratch my ass just prior to cutting said bear up. Lol

fishslap

WKR
I carry two pair and use them. I’ve done a lot of animals without them also. If I get some elk stink or touch some tarsal with the first pair on I swap them out. They weigh nothing and keep things cleaner. I’ve also cut myself or just had an open scratch already and putting a glove on seems like a good idea.

I didn’t for many years, but I changed when at home processing an elk and put on nitriles before I started.. cleanup was a lot easier and didn’t have blood and muscle in my cuticles for a long time

I certainly don’t have strong feelings on them either way, but it’s another “why not?” Item for me.

I vacuum seal 2 contractor bags and 2 pairs of nitriles and it’s a tiny little package and both are useful to me

I rarely have actual water close (at least convenient) and don’t want a pile of dirty wet wipes

I also carry a little quart ziplock to put used gloves and havalon blades in and toss it in a game bag when done. I like easy and efficient because I’m generally solo

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I recently started using them and like them now. I use Harbor Freight 9mil nitrile. They extend up the wrist a bit and hold together well. Of coarse cleanup is really easy. I also was hunting a CWD unit recently, and they gave me a little ease of mind to possible exposure especially when removing the head.

Last edited:

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
I have cut up many elk over the years and never used gloves until this year. Shot my elk, and my hunting partner shows up just in time to start field dressing. He asks me if I want some gloves and I said sure I guess.

After getting about half way through the process my glove rips. Annoyed, I just take them off.

Man what a difference in grip! I am now a big believer in gloves for field dressing.
Never realized how much grip those latex gloves give. Will be carrying multiple pairs in the pack from here on.

svivian

WKR
I don’t wear gloves… nothing like eating a fresh tenderloin then going to pick your teeth with blood caked fingernails. Then I wish I wore gloves…. Then forget to pack gloves the next trip

Vicious cycle each year

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've worn gloves for breaking down animals for a long time now, but I don't gut them. I'm a nail-biter, and I never even know when I'm doing it; so for bloody animals, I keep my hands clean. Same for doing work on vehicles, I try to keep as much dirt, oil, and grease off them and out from under my very short nails.

fwafwow

WKR
If available, I like wearing the gloves - even if I’m at a cabin with running hot water. I used to hate the smell from punctured guts, as (at least for me) I could still smell it for a day or so even after soap and water. I also now wear a cut glove on my left hand, and for the first time put a nitrile glove over it because getting the blood out of the cut glove can take some effort.

Last edited:

SBFD63

FNG
I usually bring them but forget to use them. Processing at home I use them.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

jpmulk

WKR
I grew up not wearing gloves. Now wearing them, I don’t see a benefit to not wearing them! Keeps everything including me cleaner. I can change gloves out if I touch a scent gland. If it’s freezing I’m avoiding getting my hands wet which keeps them warmer.