Am I being a little over ambitious? (solo elk hunt)

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
Choose your hunting partners wisely. I had a guy tag along with me when I went out during the archery season. He had heard that I was going to MT and took it upon himself to buy a tag and invite himself along. Didn't have the heart to tell him no, so that's my fault. Long story short, he made it about a day before calling it quits. We had to drop 1,200ft to get water on the first day, and that pretty much took it out of him. He wouldn't venture more than a few hundred yards from camp for the rest of the hunt. I called the hunt a little early, as I couldn't stand being around him anymore. That made for a long drive home.[/QUOTE]

Take heed to this!!! A dud partner is MUCH worse than no partner at all. I would be very leery of going on a backcountry hunt with someone for my first hunt with them. I always plan a weekend hunt with a perspective new partner before committing to a longer trip.

A friend wanted to hunt with me a couple years ago. Super nice guy. I told him we should go out for a couple days local. I was ready to strangle him by the second morning. He's a very slow, creep around and look and listen for hours guy. I'm not! The problem was, we wanted to debate and argue strategy constantly, and he's never killed an elk! I thought he wanted me to help him succeed, but I soon learned why he has yet to succeed. I'm glad this wasn't learned during my two weeks of vacation. At least now we're still friends!

Hunting with a partner of similar mindset, ability, and dedication is key. Butting heads constantly, or playing elk guide all the time gets old quickly.

jmez

WKR
I would consider flying and shipping most of your gear. Have a bow case and pack that full to take on the plane. Pack the other things you need in your backpack and UPS it to a UPS store and hold for pickup where you fly into. Buy all of your food when you get there.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
A lot of great advice here, thanks guys! I appreciate the offers for help and the invitations!

I think I can pretty much count September out. I get off work Monday morning the 12th and have to return to work on the evening of the 19th. There is no available vacation for me to take that month. The ONLY way I could make Sept work is to leave work and hop on a plane and get to my destination that same evening. I'd really only have 5 days to hunt with no buffer if I killed an elk on the last day. Also, the frugal part of me doesn't like the fact I'd have to rent a car that is gonna sit at a trail head unused for the week. We're talking plane ticket, car rental costs, possible shipping costs of the meat, etc.

I've got a sneaking suspicion someone else in my office is going to take the week I need off in October. If so, the 6 days I already have off won't really afford me much time. There's still a chance I can make October work just depending on the vacation picks. If it goes in my favor, I'll have 14 days off, Oct 4th thru 18th. I could archery hunt MT those dates. Not sure which other states I could hunt those dates...gotta do a bit more research. This isn't prime time rut for MT during mid October, right?

The first two weeks of November is really my only concrete option right now. You guys are kind of scaring me about the snow and road conditions possible during that time though. Not sure I'd want to deal with trudging through a bunch of snow looking for elk...by myself anyway.

KY's season dates and my vacation don't even really work out for me this year. Odds of drawing are slim anyway.

Thanks for the tips on the hunting partners. My coworker/friend that went with me last year worked out great. The stars just aligned for us last season to have off at the same time. Working with someone on a rotating swing shift and getting off the same time is a bit difficult.

Side note: Virginia is restoring elk and want to maintain a herd size of approx. 400 animals. They'll probably start allowing hunting in a few years. If they follow KY's lead, they'll only give out 10% in tags. The chances seem pretty slim I'll ever get to hunt elk in my home state. If I want to hunt these bad boys, might have to make a move out west. :)

A lot of great advice here, thanks guys! I appreciate the offers for help and the invitations!

I think I can pretty much count September out. I get off work Monday morning the 12th and have to return to work on the evening of the 19th. There is no available vacation for me to take that month. The ONLY way I could make Sept work is to leave work and hop on a plane and get to my destination that same evening. I'd really only have 5 days to hunt with no buffer if I killed an elk on the last day. Also, the frugal part of me doesn't like the fact I'd have to rent a car that is gonna sit at a trail head unused for the week. We're talking plane ticket, car rental costs, possible shipping costs of the meat, etc.

I've got a sneaking suspicion someone else in my office is going to take the week I need off in October. If so, the 6 days I already have off won't really afford me much time. There's still a chance I can make October work just depending on the vacation picks. If it goes in my favor, I'll have 14 days off, Oct 4th thru 18th. I could archery hunt MT those dates. Not sure which other states I could hunt those dates...gotta do a bit more research. This isn't prime time rut for MT during mid October, right?

The first two weeks of November is really my only concrete option right now. You guys are kind of scaring me about the snow and road conditions possible during that time though. Not sure I'd want to deal with trudging through a bunch of snow looking for elk...by myself anyway.

KY's season dates and my vacation don't even really work out for me this year. Odds of drawing are slim anyway.

Thanks for the tips on the hunting partners. My coworker/friend that went with me last year worked out great. The stars just aligned for us last season to have off at the same time. Working with someone on a rotating swing shift and getting off the same time is a bit difficult.

Side note: Virginia is restoring elk and want to maintain a herd size of approx. 400 animals. They'll probably start allowing hunting in a few years. If they follow KY's lead, they'll only give out 10% in tags. The chances seem pretty slim I'll ever get to hunt elk in my home state. If I want to hunt these bad boys, might have to make a move out west. :)

Have you narrowed down your choices as to what areas you are tentatively planning to hunt? Do you have an atv you could possibly drag out here as well? The snow can get really deep in some places. We hunted SW MT the first week of November last year and we went from zero snow to 2-3ft in a 24 hour period. The only reason I suggest bringing an atv is the country in some parts is massive and they get along way better than a truck. Even with a atv you can still put some good miles on foot, it'll help make it easier getting to and from where you'd want to chase elk.

kad11

WKR
Yep, went to VMI from 2006-2010. Those dates in Oct aren't considered prime rut times, but you would definitely still hear bugles early morning and late evening. I really like bowhunting that time of year bc it is cooler and there are typically less people out. I like to do a lot of glassing that time of year bc the bigger bulls are starting to segregate themselves from the herds and find secluded areas to recover before winter.

I wouldn't worry too much about hunting in the snow... It can give you a huge advantage if it's fresh and quiet. I personally like Kenetrek gaiters and wool pants once the snow gets knee deep.

xziang

WKR
I'm not trying to scare you off with road conditions etc. but just something to think about with travel time. This year was WARM the first couple of weeks of November so you would have been ok. The department of roads try and get I80 open as quick as possible if they even have to close it down.

On a side note for car rentals the best prices I've found and used is when I go through Costco via their online reservations.

for you guys that have rented cars/trucks and flown in....

where did you rent the truck... dealer? uhaul weekly?

and if i were to go midsize sedan when planning what area to hunt and access with a sedan are you looking for any road that doesnt say 4x4? would it greatly impact your access points?

elkguide

WKR
I always drive when I hunt. I just can't get all of my stuff on a plane or shipped. The key factor is this thing called weather. It changes so that I want to make sure that I have what I need to make my hunt as easy as possible. I also like the comfort of my own vehicle.

wl704

FNG

Fwiw-NC reintroduced elk 15 years ago and are now just starting to make moves toward potential hunts though nothing is finalized yet...I have the same dream of one day being able to hunt them in my home state.

SWVA_Tim

WKR
I'm in Christiansburg, Va and planning first elk hunt this fall. Planning to do a scouting trip in June for 4-5 days. I'm looking at CO OTC units for this year. I've been collecting pref points in WY.

In the same boat as several of the others here,,,,I can't get buddies to commit so I may just go solo.

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
Finch (and others),

1) I wish we all did a better job feeling comfortable about asking for local help from other guys on Rokslide. As an unmarried/no kids 31 year old dude in Colorado, I help people all the time with planning hunts, and making the logistics more enjoyable and affordable. Your odds of getting an elk with a bow are less than 20%, so don't let the idea of getting meat home kill your aspirations.

2) If you fly and rent a car, you will save yourself your most valuable resource - TIME. I helped a group of guys plan a hunt last year for rifle elk who wanted to drive from Minneapolis. They scrapped the idea, flew, and rented. Afterwards thanking me for the help.

3) Packing out meat by yourself - nearly all outfitters will help you with this for around $300 bucks, maybe less. Feel free to shoot me a PM based on where you want to go and I can give you the most user friendly pack folks.

4) I tell everyone from the midwest/east who dreams of a Western Big Game hunt................ The cold hard truth is that you need a friend out in Co/Wyo/MT who can help with this stuff. I lived out here for less than 6 months before I had a handful of buddies around my age who were willing to help me. People in general love to help folks, and with these type of sites, there are great guys - successful in their careers, and diligent and excited about social hunting.

Feel free to shoot me a text 650-799-2749 and I will see how you can get plugged in.

Onward,
dustin

Finch (and others),

4) I tell everyone from the midwest/east who dreams of a Western Big Game hunt................ The cold hard truth is that you need a friend out in Co/Wyo/MT who can help with this stuff. I lived out here for less than 6 months before I had a handful of buddies around my age who were willing to help me. People in general love to help folks, and with these type of sites, there are great guys - successful in their careers, and diligent and excited about social hunting.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Although having a friend in the area would be beneficial, it is not necessary. All a person needs to make that dream come true is dedication, time and a little $$$. I spent countless hours researching areas, map scouting, and talking with biologists. The logistics for my hunt were a little different, as I only had to drive for 8 hours, but the drive time is the least of my worries as long as I still have enough time to dedicate to the hunt itself.

Knowing some locals could definitely help to get a jump start though.

Shrek

WKR
Finch , I do it every year and will do it again this year. The drive is in your head and the the pack out is mind over matter also. There's help out there if you need it if you ask beforehand and have guys on call. Regardless you can get an elk out by yourself. Pick a spot and go and let people help you. Relax and enjoy yourself and keep in mind that successful harvest numbers average less than 20%. It's about the hunt , friends made , and adventure.

Bigmike68

FNG
Well just got the news today buddy won't be able to get off in sept so looks like I will be going solo this year! Will be driving from PA if anyone in interested in linking up let's chat pm me. Last year I switched my weeks up an went one week later to hunt with some guys I knew going out for muzzleloader I still archery hunted got out a day early before muzzleloader opened an missed a 6x5 bull that was a ill bit of a poke an shot over him :mad: ranger finder was off I dunno or nerves. I have to get out there again an chase them bugling bulls so will definitely be archery OTC in colorado this sept. Finch good luck on your trip to MT that sounds like one hell of an adventure I'm sure if you prepare all year you got it !

wavygravy

FNG
I'm planning a first time solo trip as well (coming from TX) for the same reasons as many others. Can't get any of my friends excited to hike around the mountains for a week. I'm just not a huge fan of camping alone, and neither is my wife, but both of us will get over it. If anyone is thinking about Colorado unit 78 let me know!

11boo

WKR
for you guys that have rented cars/trucks and flown in....

where did you rent the truck... dealer? uhaul weekly?

and if i were to go midsize sedan when planning what area to hunt and access with a sedan are you looking for any road that doesnt say 4x4? would it greatly impact your access points?

Really, a sedan will not do it. At least a SUV with 4wd.... IDK where you rent a decent 4x4 truck, but it can't be hard. Hertz rented me a Shelby mustang, and my driving record took a pretty good hit for it.

You have to count on some crappy muddy roads, ground clearance will be your friend. There will be some trailhead kind of areas that will be easy to get to even in a sedan, but if you find no elk in those areas, you are going to have to go further.

Bails-UK

FNG
The Elk bug hit you good Finch, but I'd get another hunt or a couple of hunts under your belt before going completely Solo on a Backcountry adventure, you know yourself what is involved and the logistics involved is quite a task. Work on prioritising your kit, what will be needed in your pack and will you be able to haul it 5 days straight, then haul an Elk out. If you already have the kit sorted and feel comfortable that you can achieve your goal now, then do it!!

Finch if you fly into Bozeman the Toyota dealership there will rent you a tundra with 4x4...just call ahead and book it..ressler motors. They have 4runners too

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I would rather hunt solo than with someone that will quite when hunting gets tough or not be willing to work for it. I ran into issues a couple times. None of my friends really show any interest in Western hunting but that doesn't stop me from pursuing my hunts. This past season I drove from IN to hunt CO and did it solo packed in and hunted a week before harvesting my bull. I saw hundreds of Elk and had a great hunt despite my truck breaking down on way back. Am I going to do it again yep minus truck issue hopfully, do I care to make the drive solo, nope. If you really want to hunt and don't mind hunting solo don't let it stop you just realize you personal limitations and figure out ways to get meat out packer, horse rental, strong back, etc get lucky kill near road lol.