Altitude adjustment

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
When your home state is 3 feet above sea level hunting the high country can be a real challenge. For those that travel to the Rocky Mtn west to hunt, how many days do you give yourselves to acclimate to the high altitude?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live at 800' and hunt regularly around 6000' without any acclimatization. Never had an issue. But I do have a hunt around 9000' each yeah and I'll give myself 1 night in town around 2500' and have zero problems. I should note that my night in town isn't because of altitude. Its logistics of the trip. What I'm trying to say is I think altitude plays a way bigger part in guys plans than it should, if that makes sense.

thejones

WKR
in regards to altitude, you really need to look at where you (how high) will be. If you are hunting around 6000' and under Brock A is correct, most will only feel short of breath. The difference is when you climb higher. When you begin entering a higher elevation above 8000' (good rule of thumb) you may begin to encounter problems. At around 8000' you begin to see altitude sickness in some people, and in some people you can develop HAPE, high altitude pulmonary edema. HAPE typically is seen at higher elevations, but cases have been seen at or around 8000'. As you climb higher you can see HACE, high altitude cerebral edema. Now none of these altitude problems effect everyone, and effect people the same when they climb into higher elevations, so don't let these terms prevent you from hunting these higher elevations. There are tactics and medications one can use to help alleviate the symptoms and possible development of altitude related problems.

The best plan is climb high sleep low, just as it sounds. This will also help with acclimatization to altitude. Slow ascent is the key, if you cannot drive to your destination and must fly there, a night or two in a lower area, but still within 2000' of your target altitude will help. Unfortunately some people will never acclimatize to altitude, but most will just fine. And as always hydration is a huge component.

I hope this helps, PM if you have anymore questions.

I go from about 700 feet to 10k plus. Our campsite is normally around 10000 feet. We just take it easy the first couple of days and drink a lot of fluids. I have problems sleeping the first night and might get a slight headache the first day but have not suffered any worse than that yet. I don't know if physiologically it is a fact but I think it really helps to be in great shape cardiowise as well

Slim Jim

WKR
I heard ginkgo biloba helps with the blood cells. I take some when heading up above 9000'. Probably placebo but I haven't ever had any problems. I drink a lot of water though and live at about 3800' elevation.

Browtine

WKR
I think being well hydrated is one of the best preventatives. We typically drive 8 hrs from about 900' and hit the trail once we get there.

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I hunted up around 10,000 to 11,400 feet in a large Colorado wilderness GMU. The trailhead started at about 7,500. The altitude was a big factor in the ground I could cover in trying to locate any elk. I have practiced the climb high/sleep low plan several times doing some climbs in the Cascades of the PNW. Was curious if fellow lowland hunters travel out a week before to acclimate prior to a hunt up where the air is a bit thinner.

It actually takes a true 3 weeks for O2 levels in your body to "acclimate".

Obviously most of us don't have that kind of time ....

Since I live at over 6K it's not as big of an issue however I still use WA Altitude Advantage 2 weeks out training and all through my hunts.

LostArra

WKR
We do not. We drive 8 hours, sleep about 2 in the truck and then head up.

+1
I don't have a week off to do anything but hunt. Acclimate is part of the hunt.
Our schedule is a little different. 14 hours of driving. Sleep. Hunt.
I just plan on forcing myself to walk/hunt slow the first day and a few less miles. I walk too fast when still hunting anyway.

Ranger619

WKR
I had altitude sickness for almost 4 days in Colorado last year. I drove all night from about 1200ft to the trailhead at 11500. I hunted from 11500 to almost 13000. I was well hydrated, but still had dizziness, nausea, and difficulty sleeping. It never has happened before. It sucks.

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Luckily I have never had any worse effects than bad headaches. I tried the WA Altitude supp last year too. Not sure if it helped...didnt hurt thats for sure. I too find that staying super hydrated is the key to keeping AMS at bay. How are all you from the flat lowlands training for the mountains? I use whatever I can find...buildings, stairmasters, old garbage dumps that have been converted to "parks"...you get a great 80ft of elevation change!!!

Renoit24

FNG
I usually drive to the 9000` mountains close to town and train when my hunt gets closer. Seems to help with the acclimation. I'm considering trying out the altitude training masks this year and see how this improves my performance. Anyone use these masks? Couldn't attach a link to the website

a3dhunter

WKR
In the years I went up to Colorado to hunt before I moved up here, I only had altitude issues when over 11,000 feet elevation.
If less than 10k I wouldn't worry about it, if hunting over 10k I would just slow down and be fine, only had problems when lacking oxygen during hard climbs and then would suffer until descending elevation.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's a non-issue under 10K.. More importantly should be eating correctly, working out, and keeping your weight in check.

Ranger619

WKR
Being a flat lander I workout by wearing my pack with a bag of softener salt in it. I either walk on the treadmill with the incline up or go to the nearby State Park and hike the trails. To replicate the lack of oxygen I just wear a bag over my head:)... Just kidding, I haven't found a way to train for that.

I mostly just hydrated and stayed in shape, never had a problem till 2011 (I think). It hit pretty hard, and quite frankly out of the blue. Have used diamox since then with good results. Never tried altitude advantage or any other herbal remedies.

steveo

FNG
I usually take Diamox 3 days before leaving and 3days while hunting. This prevents altitude sickness and gives me time to acclimate.

Drink water, only water, and lots of it. Guys come to high country camp and still want their beer in the evenings and coffee in the mornings. Both will dehydrate you and are best avoided.

OP
Fjelljeger

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
From what I have read the masks only help with the cardio aspect but do nothing for acclimization. As another person mentioned only time really allows for proper acclimization.
One day I hope to reside in a state where the highest point isn't a building on the beach! Till then I guess I have no choice but to take my time and just be in the best shape possible.