Density altitude and sight tapes

I shoot at home (~3,600') out to 120 pretty regularly. For hunting, I limit my self to 60 yards. I have not seen a full tape change from 1000' to 6500' out to 60 yards. I have not tried longer shots 100+ at other altitudes to see if it is more pronounced. Since you are going to Alaska, I have seen very pronounced changes from heavy rain...

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
I started using PCA this winer/spring. Mostly just out of curiosity at first and tried it using the free trail. I ended up paying for the entire year. I found its pretty much spot on for those longer distance shots when other site tape generators seem to break down (at least in my experience). The 2X Marks method with a chronograph initial velocity is pretty sweet, but if you can do the downrange velocity method its faster and either the same results or perhaps slightly more accurate IMO.

I live at El. 1000 ft on the West Coast. The mountains are only an hour drive for me, but all my practice happens at El. 800-1000 ft. I tested out a site tape for a 3D Shoot last month where most shots are +/- El. 8000 ft and 60-90 yd targets are common. I found that anything inside 60 yds was practically no difference compared to my "normal" site tape for at home, 60-80 yds was about a 1 yd cut, and 80-100 was a -2 yd cut, and so on. For 3D shoots at significantly different elevation, I would certainly make a separate sight tape

However, for hunting applications I would just stick to whatever you normal setup is and have mental or written notes on your cuts for your particular hunting elevation. I'm sure if you're hunting CO at El. 10,000 ft it could a much bigger difference. But, for me and with our elk zone being typically under El. 8000 ft max (on average closer to El. 6000-6500), the difference aren't worth a different sight tape. For practical shot distances on animals (inside 60 yds), the difference for my particular sight tape is negligible. I would definitely compare site tapes ahead of time, check it for yourself, then decide. As others have said, probably the most important thing is check POI when you arrive on the hunt to make sure your fixed pins haven't moved during travel. That's just my 0.02.

Here's my comparison between my "at home" site tape and the adjusted tape for my elk hunting area.

1720224493830.png

180ls1

WKR
I started using PCA this winer/spring. Mostly just out of curiosity at first and tried it using the free trail. I ended up paying for the entire year. I found its pretty much spot on for those longer distance shots when other site tape generators seem to break down (at least in my experience). The 2X Marks method with a chronograph initial velocity is pretty sweet, but if you can do the downrange velocity method its faster and either the same results or perhaps slightly more accurate IMO.

I live at El. 1000 ft on the West Coast. The mountains are only an hour drive for me, but all my practice happens at El. 800-1000 ft. I tested out a site tape for a 3D Shoot last month where most shots are +/- El. 8000 ft and 60-90 yd targets are common. I found that anything inside 60 yds was practically no difference compared to my "normal" site tape for at home, 60-80 yds was about a 1 yd cut, and 80-100 was a -2 yd cut, and so on. For 3D shoots at significantly different elevation, I would certainly make a separate sight tape

However, for hunting applications I would just stick to whatever you normal setup is and have mental or written notes on your cuts for your particular hunting elevation. I'm sure if you're hunting CO at El. 10,000 ft it could a much bigger difference. But, for me and with our elk zone being typically under El. 8000 ft max (on average closer to El. 6000-6500), the difference aren't worth a different sight tape. For practical shot distances on animals (inside 60 yds), the difference for my particular sight tape is negligible. I would definitely compare site tapes ahead of time, check it for yourself, then decide. As others have said, probably the most important thing is check POI when you arrive on the hunt to make sure your fixed pins haven't moved during travel. That's just my 0.02.

Here's my comparison between my "at home" site tape and the adjusted tape for my elk hunting area.

View attachment 732649

Does that account for the temp drop (added drag) and addition of broadheads (added drag) besides the elevation and other factors?

OP
sickles107

View attachment 732649

This is exactly what I was after. Actual data or experience in drop differences at 80yd from significant DA change. Thank you for sharing.