Early Season Boot

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
New to this part of the hunting world, looks like it's quite a bit more technical than I anticipated. I've made do in the past with cheap hiking boots, but after this last season I developed blisters halfway through my backcountry mule deer hunt. I'm planning to upgrade to a pair of Crispi boots.

So far, I've had my eyes on the Crispi Summit, Colorado, and Altitude boots.

My biggest question on these lighter, more breathable synthetic boots is how cold of temperatures could one wear them in? Most of my hunts are mid September into early October, high elevation backcountry. Temperatures can get below freezing at night, probably ranging from 20-60 degrees.

Would those boots listed above hold up to cold mornings below freezing? What about 2-3 inches of snow? Seems like a big trade off with boots is breathability vs warmth.

Thanks all

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re going to be moving the majority of the time, you shouldn’t have too much of an issue keeping warm with any of those boots. The Colorado’s are by far the most comfortable boots I’ve ever worn. My feet got pretty cold two years ago on a late November hunt when I posted up to glass for a really long stretch but when I’m moving they’re just so comfortable. There was no snow and temps were high 30’s- low 40’s.

I switched to the Hoffman Explorer insulated boots for my late season hunts this past winter and they were warm. Not quite as comfortable as the Colorado’s but darn close. Temps in high 20’s and light snow turning warmer and muddy during the day and they were awesome overall.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I have the Wyoming GTX and use the Nevada GTX later.
I had some Thors one time, but they had no support.
The Wyoming is similar to the Thor, except with ankle support.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
look for a sale on Danner Pronghorn Uninsulated. can be found for 100 .
I use these for Archery season and they work. great. I have a big foot and these are the best boots i have found that fit me well.

New to this part of the hunting world, looks like it's quite a bit more technical than I anticipated. I've made do in the past with cheap hiking boots, but after this last season I developed blisters halfway through my backcountry mule deer hunt. I'm planning to upgrade to a pair of Crispi boots.

So far, I've had my eyes on the Crispi Summit, Colorado, and Altitude boots.

My biggest question on these lighter, more breathable synthetic boots is how cold of temperatures could one wear them in? Most of my hunts are mid September into early October, high elevation backcountry. Temperatures can get below freezing at night, probably ranging from 20-60 degrees.

Would those boots listed above hold up to cold mornings below freezing? What about 2-3 inches of snow? Seems like a big trade off with boots is breathability vs warmth.

Thanks all
The altitude with synthetic toe will probably leak pretty quick, the Colorado is a pretty darn stiff boot, the summit is a great boot and I’ve worn them in the 20’s, for a light boot they are pretty warm

For your use, I would recommend the lapponia 2, I like them more than the summit, and seem like the perfect boot for what you’re asking, and most likely to stay dry longer

My summits did hold up pretty well, but eventually started leaking in the synthetic panels by the toes

The altitude with synthetic toe will probably leak pretty quick, the Colorado is a pretty darn stiff boot, the summit is a great boot and I’ve worn them in the 20’s, for a light boot they are pretty warm

For your use, I would recommend the lapponia 2, I like them more than the summit, and seem like the perfect boot for what you’re asking, and most likely to stay dry longer

My summits did hold up pretty well, but eventually started leaking in the synthetic panels by the toes
Those Lapponia IIs are like mountain moccasins...but with traction and enough support as long as the terrain is not too crazy steep.

I love mine...didn't expect to.