Alpaca Socks

TXRandy

FNG
Has anyone tried using Alpaca socks or are they just another gimick? Always on the look out for anything to have warm feet!

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
I have used them for a couple years and like them. Mostly Dalghren brand.
I can't really say I have found them any better than a good Merino like Darn Tough or Bridgdale though.

I use them when I'm stand hunting. They are excellent in that application! I feel like they are definitely warmer then merino, but they are noticeably thicker. They are very good at wicking and keeping my feet dry. Because they are thicker, they will not work in my hiking boots, plus I don't think they are as bombproof as my Darn Tough's. I use the Sabamba brand.

jtw

WKR
I have a lightweight pair of dahlgrens and don't really see much difference between them and similar weight merino socks.

Has anyone tried using Alpaca socks or are they just another gimick? Always on the look out for anything to have warm feet!

I own a lot of merino wool products. I learned a long time ago to take exceptionally good care of my feet. The comfort, wicking ability and warmth are outstanding with wool. Last year at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg PA I was introducted to Alpaca wool. If I could switch all by base layers, socks and hats over to Alpaca I would...I don't think there's a healthy Alpaca market yet. It's not a night and day difference but my feet can certainly tell when I'm wearing my Alpaca socks! The only Alpaca products I have ever used are from Altera Alpaca https://alteraalpaca.com/ (I am not affiliated with this company)

bcimport

WKR
My wife got me a pair and they seem noticeably warmer and better at moisture management than my merino socks. They are pretty thick though. The wool itself seems long, almost hairy. No itch though.