All Purpose Folding Knife

Does anyone have any experience with the Doug Ritter variants of the Benchmade Griptilian....eg Doug Ritter RSK MK1 Stone Washed M390 Blade?

Curious if it is worth the extra money, or at that price does the McHenry & Williams out perform / handle?

My favorite I have now is a spyderco native with sv35n steel. Takes a wicked edge. I have also carries a mini griptillian for a long time. I prefer the steel in the spydies.

My everyday is usually one of those little mini multitools

I don't worry so much about quality steel for my everyday stuff like I do for a hunting knife

I carry a simple Leatherman Fuse multitool with 3-1/2" locking blade, pliers, scissors, 3 screw drivers, can opener, and scissors. I rarely go anywhere without it including 14 day backpack trips. The steel in the knife blade is decent, and can be sharpened by stropping on a carbon arrow shaft.....preferably the one that killed the animal I am cutting up. I have taken to carrying a Havalon Piranta with 4 blades with the game bags too as it makes caping surgical.

Tough to beat BM Griptillian, CRKT or Spyderco IMHO. It's easier for me to open the blade with the BM or CRKT over the Spyderco but I carry one of them everyday. If you're in CO, it's convenient having Spyderco nearby to replace screws that will eventually go missing (on any of them) for the clip.

hands down best small folder I have ever used/seen is a Mercator. German made, tough as all hell,easy to sharpen,hold a good edge.
My dad always has one of these and I have seem him do things you wouldn't do with most knives. they are awesome. (cut through sheets of roofing iron all day building huts and they are still sharp!)
black+single.JPG

I have to say the shear number of quality folders made this a much more time consuming process than I had originally anticipated. With that said, it has been great to see everybody's responses and interesting to note a couple that seem to pop up more than others (BM Grip/Mini and Spyderco M2). With that said, my first folder is going to be the latest Doug Ritter BM Grip RSK MK1 w/ M390 steel.

Specs:
Blade Material: M390 hardened to 60-62 HRC
Blade Length: 3.44 in. (8.74 cm)
Blade Thickness: 0.115 in. (2.92 mm)
Handle Thickness: 0.64 in. (1.63 mm)
Blade Shape: Wide-Chord Drop Point
Blade Grind: High Flat grind
Blade Finish: Stonewashed
Closed Length: 4.62 in. (11.73 cm)
Open Length: 8.06 in. (20.47 cm)
Weight: 3.82 oz. (108.9 g)

I will be sure to post up a pic or two when it ships!

Thanks,

Paul

I am surprised no one is carrying a Kershaw or Zero Tolerence. Lots of good knives available from them. I have been carrying a Kershaw Camber American made,speed safe and S30V but some times I carry my 562 ZT. I am bias through because i'm a sales rep. for them.

Especially if hunting is involved, the Kershaw "Gentleman's Folder" is a gem. VG-10 steel, micarta scales, slim profile but enough in the hand. SHARP, and with a slight drop point for dressing game, plenty of point for caping, and thin enough for working up meat.

http://www.knifeworks.com/browsepro...carta-Handle--Plain-Edge--Leather-Sheath.HTML

They are generally limited runs, and about $70 when they are available. I have two in house, and when I run across the next run of them, I'll buy two more.

Back