Most expensive thing you lost while hunting

cass1us

FNG
Was rattling for whitetail in on a sendero in texas and my phone came out at one of the spots i stopped. Couldnt ever locate it again.

CorbLand

WKR
I met someone a few years back who lost his shotgun while duck hunting in the Snake River. He didn't go into details, only to say that the boat didn't capsize, thank goodness.
Went to college with a kid that his unlce had a sub three digit serialed Nova that is at the bottom of the Great Salt Lake. Set it on the decoys and it must of slid off somewhere.

Mojave

WKR
My ring finger got destroyed by a wedding ring when I was working on aircraft 20 years ago in the military, I’ll never wear another wedding ring or any ring

Patchrat

FNG
I lost my desire to do anything other than hunt sheep a few years ago. Being and Alberta resident keeps that cost reasonable but it's still in the thousands

Huntndog

FNG
On my first elk hunt in NM in 2008 we were hunting the Carson NF and our “guide” had been told by the “ outfitter” that the camp ( tents ,food, water, etc. )had been dropped off at a certain place and after hunting all day all we had to do was start a fire. We never found it, rain came and we hiked out after about 20 hours. “ Outfitter” didn’t apologize, just said we should have “ hunkered like a chicken” in the rain. I suppose they eventually found the lost camp…….

LFC911

WKR
My buddy lost a gunwerks rangefinder and his iPhone...we sync'd our locations prior to hunting and found his phone with find my phone app but never found the rangefinder.

Almost lost my 22 rifle w/suppressor while on a coon hunt. leaned the gun up against a tree take a piss. The dog was hitting on a nearby tree. Almost couldn't find the gun after walking in circles for 10 minutes. Finally found it.

nobody

WKR
Brother took his bino harness and binos off during a stalk on a buck in order to strip some layers as it warmed up. He kept going and left his binos behind, and by the time he realized it he was far enough away he couldn’t backtrack to exactly the right place to find them. He gridded multiple times for a whole day in an attempt to find them and never did. That was like 13 years ago and he’s still peeved about it, even though he’s upgraded considerably since then.

Funniest part was that the binos were a gift from me, and he hid the fact that he lost them for like 2 years from me because he was so ashamed. When I finally found out I just laughed, he was worried I was gonna be the pissed off older brother.

Dogone

FNG
In 67 I bought six duck decoys for 13 $. In 78 I put them out in a slough on my own land. Went back to pick them and 4 were gone. The two left were in deeper water.
In 2021 I was in a local good will type store and there were my four decoys. I always suspected they were not far away. I bought one for 5$ . I kidded the manager that she was trafficking in stolen goods.

This has the makings of a good story. Do you want to share it?
Haha of course. We drove it from the east coast to SD for a mule deer hunt and on the last evening of the hunt while me and my one hunting buddy were sitting over a bedded buck waiting for him to stand up to try and get a shot our other buddy was driving the rental truck around some questionable access roads, more like old Atv and side by side trails that the farmers used haha. Long story short he ended up slicing the sidewall of the tire up in probably the worst spot you could have to try and change a tire and without any off road jacks he somehow managed to get it changed without it sliding off a ledge. The funny/lucky part is that I don’t think rental vehicles are even supposed to have spare tires in them. I have been told by a friend that worked a a big rental company if you get a flat they want you to call and use their affiliated tow service probably for liability reasons, but luckily, the spare tire was on there. We swapped them, drove it back across the country and pulled it into the rental place, and they never said a word about the mismatched tire haha

Lesson learned from our first trip out west. when hunting in remote areas bring everything you could possibly need to get you out of the situation. The truck has a lot more tools in it these days.