All New 2022 Tundra Leaked.....

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the standard bed Tundra and now have the CM short bed Tundra. A bigger bed is nice. But the rear if the CM is very roomy.

hobbes

WKR
I've got a 2012 5.7 Tundra that I bought last year. I can't stomach financing a $60,000 truck for 8 or 10 years. I knew the fuel economy sucked when I bought it. It wasn't a secret.
I handed my 06 Tacoma with 225,000 miles over to my youngest (he was making payments). He totaled it a couple months back.

The 12 Tundra definitely gets worse mileage than the 06 Tacoma but I knew that. I drive it where I need to and fill it up when I need to. That's partly because I'm not paying $750 a month (or whatever a payment would be) for it.

I do realize that the big three don't have the luxury of reliability, so maintenance costs and down timevhave to be weighed in. :). Just kidding, I've owned them too. I'd have paid to drop the last Ford I had through the dealership roof if I hadn't already lost so much money on it.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a 2012 5.7 Tundra that I bought last year. I can't stomach financing a $60,000 truck for 8 or 10 years. I knew the fuel economy sucked when I bought it. It wasn't a secret.
I handed my 06 Tacoma with 225,000 miles over to my youngest (he was making payments). He totaled it a couple months back.

The 12 Tundra definitely gets worse mileage than the 06 Tacoma but I knew that. I drive it where I need to and fill it up when I need to. That's partly because I'm not paying $750 a month (or whatever a payment would be) for it.

I do realize that the big three don't have the luxury of reliability, so maintenance costs and down timevhave to be weighed in. :). Just kidding, I've owned them too. I'd have paid to drop the last Ford I had through the dealership roof if I hadn't already lost so much money on it.
I had a 03 Tacoma TRD 4x4 extra cab. Got it used with just shy of 13k miles when I returned from Iraq in 04. It's now pushing 260k plus miles. I treated the Tacoma hard. Maintenance and wear items are the only things that get changed. Other than that have had zero issue with it. It's a good hunting truck! Being in AZ, virtually zero rust on the frame. Passed it down to my youngest brother. He takes it all over. Some one did try to cut out the catalytic converter though. It's since been repaired.

Gonna be a ton of really good Tundras hitting the market here around November from guys trading up and getting the 22. Probably the only way to get guys out of their previous gen model is to offer the new one as most of my friends that have them keep them forever.

With the way that new and used truck prices have gone to the moon and kept going, I couldn’t bring myself to buy anything right now. Just a ton of uncertainty on what’s going to happen there. Negative equity is going to be a big thing if values drop like people have said they will.

peaceman

Lil-Rokslider
IMO toyota had the cab length right with the first gen double cab, then they decided to follow and not lead and used the Ford model for extended cab (double cab) and crew max and blew it on both counts. Now most manufacturers have a nice size cab length like the original toyota design. Im curious to see how its configured. My current 2012 tundra gets 17 if i keep it under 70. 20mpg if i keep it under 60mph (pretty rare). Towing two sxs's i get 9mpg:(

ThrottleJ

FNG
Welp, after a ridiculously long stint for the current gen Tundra (and what seems like eternity waiting for the newest incarnation) these authentic 2022 photos leaked today.
Toyota's all new pickup will very likely be powered by a twin turbo 3.5 V6, a workhorse in the Lexus lineup and an engine just revealed as the standard powerplant for the non-U.S. Landcruiser for 2022. The Landcruiser also gets a turbodiesel 3.5 option. Hey, we can dream.
A V8 option for the 2022 Tundra appears to be very unlikely.
A hybrid V6 will join the standard Tundra offering, there is a rumored full-electric derivation expected later on.

Hopeful that Toyota still offers a double cab version. At 6'6'' I've never been a fan of the crew max, but rather enjoy the 'front cab' priority of the double cab.
I've also always been more about the mileage than the grunt, but at 409 projected horsepower, the twin turbo V6 sounds stout. Hoping that 22-24 mpg is a reality in 2022, those numbers are way overdo for Toyota.
Looking forward to test driving and hopefully owning this truck.... Anyone else psyched?!

Looking forward to seeing this.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I have the Lexus 4.6L V8 in my 2011 Tundra. I love it. I'm curious what this V6 will be like. Mileage can't be worse...
Did you special order that or do an engine swap? My recollection was that Toyota switched to the 5.7 liter with the 2008 Tundra new body style.

I had an ‘05 Sequoia SR5 with the 4.7 that had 275,000 miles. Shouldn’t have traded that one in. Loved that vehicle.

Antares

WKR
Did you special order that or do an engine swap? My recollection was that Toyota switched to the 5.7 liter with the 2008 Tundra new body style.

I had an ‘05 Sequoia SR5 with the 4.7 that had 275,000 miles. Shouldn’t have traded that one in. Loved that vehicle.

Yes, like @Broomd said, they offered both. The 4.6 is a lot less common. I think only 10% have the 4.6, something like that.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
My last Gen2 had the 4.6, I really liked that motor. Smooth as silk.
Pulled just fine.

But considering that the 5.7 has the extra overdrive gear, it's probably the better call for better power and similar economy--using that term loosely... : /
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1033.jpg

Finch

WKR
Tonight is supposed to be the 'official' unveiling of the '22....9 pm eastern time.
Came here to say the same thing. As much as this is getting hyped, it better be big.

Maybe rust free frames?!?!😄

hodgeman

WKR
While I'm looking forward to seeing the new Tundra... prying me out of my 2015 Crewmax will be a tall order.

My only gripes are the paint is soft, the gas tank is too small at 26 gallons, and the Crewmax only came with a 5.5 bed.

The 2022 model corrects at least the fuel tank and they're sticking the 6.5 bed on the Crewmax...but it eliminates the 5.7 V8.

I won't say never, but given how much I like my current truck and the longevity of the 5.7 engine... I may end up skipping this generation altogether.

Finch

WKR
While I'm looking forward to seeing the new Tundra... prying me out of my 2015 Crewmax will be a tall order.

My only gripes are the paint is soft, the gas tank is too small at 26 gallons, and the Crewmax only came with a 5.5 bed.

The 2022 model corrects at least the fuel tank and they're sticking the 6.5 bed on the Crewmax...but it eliminates the 5.7 V8.

I won't say never, but given how much I like my current truck and the longevity of the 5.7 engine... I may end up skipping this generation altogether.
My 2016 crewmax has the 38 gallon tank. Why is yours 26 gallon?

Edit: do you have a bench seat with column shifter? Seems trucks with these options have the smaller tank.

Last edited: