Alec Baldwin shooting

Pulling the trigger may have been accidental, but pull the trigger he did.
Pulling a trigger NEVER happens by accident. A finger does not accidently go into a trigger guard. A finger does not accidently press the trigger. Negligently, yes. Accidentally, NO.

In the military we changed the term from "accidental discharge" to "negligent discharge."

MattB

WKR
Pulling a trigger NEVER happens by accident. A finger does not accidently go into a trigger guard. A finger does not accidently press the trigger. Negligently, yes. Accidentally, NO.

In the military we changed the term from "accidental discharge" to "negligent discharge."
In a shooting school I took they emphasized returning the pistol to the holster very slowly as they had students accidentally discharge their weapon when the zipper of a coat got caught inside the trigger guard and the pressure from re-bolstering caused the weapon to fire.

While rare (and definitely not what Baldwin did), guns can fire without a finger on the trigger.

*zap*

WKR
The safest carry guns have a hammer you can put a thumb behind when your handling/holstering, imo.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Oh c'mon, he's just a target of the Republicans because of his political views. That according to Joy Behar. What a delusional simp.

Stalker69

WKR
I dont mean to be flip, because someone died and someone else got hurt and everyone’s lives got ****** up…

…the DA is going through the necessary motions For a high profile case that really amounts to a terrible accident that was caused by multiple layers of negligence. he will plead it down to something lesser or it will be dropped altogether and then he will pay a quiet settlement to the families and the wounded survivor.
I think this right here. Money gets you out of ANTHING !

Darryle

WKR
Reports I read/heard said that testing was done on the pistola and it would not fire on its own without the trigger being pulled
He lied to investigators and most likely will lie on stand if allowed to be questioned
Will he receive jail time ?? I have to say it’s highly unlikely

In his mind, he probably honestly believes he didn't pull the trigger

NB7

WKR
I think most, if not everyone, on this site looks at this in terms of how we all are going to handle a firearm, a real firearm, with real consequences...and that is with due respect and diligence.

Unfortunately, what's probably going to happen here is that the argument will be made that to an actor, a gun on a set is only a prop and they would have no expectation to even think of it as a "real" gun.

All it takes is a little reasonable doubt.
Rest assured they're not going to have a jury of NM cowboys as someone mentioned earlier.

I won't be surprised if he worms out of this, although I hope that he doesn't.
Obviously he has no sense of guilt or regret, and it would be a shame if he doesn't get some sort of punishment here. But I won't hold my breath

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I think most, if not everyone, on this site looks at this in terms of how we all are going to handle a firearm, a real firearm, with real consequences...and that is with due respect and diligence.

Unfortunately, what's probably going to happen here is that the argument will be made that to an actor, a gun on a set is only a prop and they would have no expectation to even think of it as a "real" gun.

Rest assured they're not going to have a jury of NM cowboys as someone mentioned earlier.

Obviously he has no sense of guilt or regret, and it would be a shame if he doesn't get some sort of punishment here. But I won't hold my breath
The gun was a prop, but a prop gun can be a live firing gun, which in this case it was. the crew had used the gun earlier for target practice.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did read somewhere, that it was announced to the film crew (and Baldwin) that the revolver was "cold"; not an excuse to not check it yourself, but probably helps Baldwin.

Let's play with that notion a little bit. In criminal matters, facts are examined against the letter of the law. Let's start by identifying the law under which he was charged. The bold is mine.

B. Involuntary manslaughter consists of manslaughter committed in the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to felony, or in the commission of a lawful act which might produce death in an unlawful manner or without due caution and circumspection.

These are some of the facts as many of us understand them. They may not be correct. There are likely more relevant facts.

Baldwin knew the gun was real.
He knew that it was capable of firing live rounds.
Baldwin knew the gun had been used for live fire during breaks.
There are Hollywood provided safety guidelines for gun handling that as both an actor and producer, Baldwin was responsible knowing. Here are a few:
*Treat all prop guns as if they are real.
*Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
*Unless you are actually performing or rehearsing, the property master must secure all firearms.
*Check the firearm every time you take possession of it.
*Never point a firearm at anyone including yourself.

Do those facts move you to a yes conclusion that Baldwin was conducting himself with due caution and circumspection? Will they move those not familiar with guns (Baldwin's peers, the jurors) to the same conclusion.

That's the legal picture in a nutshell.

RobAndrew

FNG
Hello and Thanks for letting me join.

Alec Baldwin is just as culpable as the armorer and should do time for this. Just because a movie set has rules regarding an armorer declaring a gun is cold, and just becasue the Rust armorer "said" the weapon was "cold" means nothing to the law. Here's an analogy I came up with:

You and I standing on a street corner. I hand you my Ruger and tell you "Don't Worry, it's not loaded". You point it down the sidewalk and dry fire it. A round comes out and kills a bystander. Of course none of us would do such a thing, but the person pulling the trigger is responsible for that death. The "law" doesn't recognize Movie Set rules, an armorer saying "cold gun" means nothing. Baldwin pointed a real gun at somebody and shot them. He should pay dearly for what he did.

Baldwing may take a plea deal and never see the inside of a courthouse on this. The Armorer however, (Hanna Guttierez Reed) is going to prison. She brought live ammo on set, she lied to the detectives several times during the initial interview, and was probably high the day of the shooting. In that first interview, she acts like a drugged flippant 17 y.o. Stoner. She killed that woman. I can't wait to see her go thru those prison doors.

Reactions: NB7

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The new John Wick movie must have had a a different armorer than the Rust movie. There must have been 30,000 rounds fired in the movie and no one died, Not for real. Maybe 300 died in the movie.

Alec Baldwin criminal charges for fatal 'Rust' shooting to be dropped: lawyers​

Alec Baldwin, 64, is charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter​

TheGDog

WKR
Well.. we all know how much the Left likes to "control the narrative". Can't go having pesky Facts getting in the way now can they.