Alaskan Cruise Fishing Juneau and Ketchikan

CHSD

WKR
My wife and I are going on an Alaskan cruise this summer. Had anyone done DIY fishing in Juneau or Ketchikan for the day? We are looking for some advice on if it is feasible, where we should focus, etc. Any advice would be appreciate. We don't really want to spend a ton on a guide for a few hours.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
Spend the $$ on the guide. Most trips are $3-400/person on the cruise ships. You'll pay $4-600 for a boat rental...plus gas...and tackle rental. You'll be further ahead. Not to mention likely a car rental. No DIY spots where the ships dump you off. Baranaof is a 5 min walk from the ships.

Last edited:
My youngest has been guiding out of Ketchikan for 10 years and had his own business for the last 2. I’ve been up there many times and am going back in a couple weeks. If you want to rent a boat and diy it that’s certainly an option, but it would be akin to being dropped off at the edge of a unit you’ve never seen or hunted and told that you have 6 hours to figure it out and kill your buck. Now if you’re cool with a nice boat ride and not so much concerned with the catching a rental boat could work. If catching is important then a guide is a must.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from an Alaskan cruise last week. I took a rod and fished a few days when we ported. You can rent a car and hit different rivers and lakes. Also did a guide trip out of Ketchikan. Had a great time and learned quite a bit for the next time we go.