Alaska vs NWT/Yukon Dall Sheep

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted twice with Ravensthroat. Two rams, two caribou and one moose taken. I’d go back in a heartbeat if they had an opening. Can’t really say enough good things about their operation.

Mojave

WKR
When both options were about $10,000 cheaper than they are today (2017), and I could afford it I looked hard at booking for dall sheep. Everyone was booked until 2021 or so, and I lost interest.

There are good outfits in Alaska, and I think the odds are higher in Alaska that you will hunt with a good outfitter.

Red River, South Nahanni and Ravens Throat not included, there are a lot more scheister outfits in the Yukon and NWT.

Unless you are hunting a draw a better draw unit in Alaska you will have a better hunt in the Yukon or NWT.

Weather in Alaska has a higher propensity to suck, as it is closer to the ocean.

More local pressure on the high pressure units in Alaska.

Zero to very little local pressure in the Yukon or NWT.

Helicopters and horses are more common in the Yukon or NWT saving your back and knees.

Yukon and NWT will offer more opportunity for more species beyond sheep.

OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
When both options were about $10,000 cheaper than they are today (2017), and I could afford it I looked hard at booking for dall sheep. Everyone was booked until 2021 or so, and I lost interest.

There are good outfits in Alaska, and I think the odds are higher in Alaska that you will hunt with a good outfitter.

Red River, South Nahanni and Ravens Throat not included, there are a lot more scheister outfits in the Yukon and NWT.

Unless you are hunting a draw a better draw unit in Alaska you will have a better hunt in the Yukon or NWT.

Weather in Alaska has a higher propensity to suck, as it is closer to the ocean.

More local pressure on the high pressure units in Alaska.

Zero to very little local pressure in the Yukon or NWT.

Helicopters and horses are more common in the Yukon or NWT saving your back and knees.

Yukon and NWT will offer more opportunity for more species beyond sheep.
Thanks for the reply. Pricing and how long it's booked out to has really turned me off right now. I've decided to try a Goat hunt instead as it's similar to the experience I'm looking for. Maybe if things settle down I'll jump on a sheep hunt(probably not going to happen)

Mojave

WKR
Thanks for the reply. Pricing and how long it's booked out to has really turned me off right now. I've decided to try a Goat hunt instead as it's similar to the experience I'm looking for. Maybe if things settle down I'll jump on a sheep hunt(probably not going to happen)
Before this year in the war in the Ukraine. The stans looked pretty good and Russia. I’d hunt Mongolian ibex or blue sheep in Nepal.

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
Before signing and plopping the $ down on a $18k dall hunt in '24 I'd want a real good understanding of why there are spots available when others in AK are charging $30k and already full for '24.
I think you already know the answer

I think you already know the answer
I've got a pretty good idea at least but don't have a finger on the pulse of all the outfitters and areas.

If the answer is that one is a walk-in or minimal transport type trip that has a strong record of success with physically capable clients and the other is aerial inventory and drop you on your ram type hunt - the right person could probably still go into the cheaper hunt justifiably comfortable with their decision.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a pretty good idea at least but don't have a finger on the pulse of these things at all.

If the answer is that one is a walk-in or minimal transport type trip that has a strong record of success with physically capable clients and the other is aerial inventory and drop you on your ram type hunt - the right person could probably still go into the cheaper hunt justifiably comfortable with their decision.
This is exactly what I was wondering. I'm not interested in getting flown in and dropped in on a sheep to shoot and fly back out. Looking for the experience of living out of your pack and enjoying nature where few people step foot, with an added bonus to potentially take home a nice ram. Goats seem more affordable to most at this time

Not to dissuade you from doing a goat hunt, cause those look great too, but if you want a sheep I dont think the goat is going to satisfy you. I hope the price of sheep hunts comes down, in reality I dont think they will though. You only live once and if you want to hunt sheep just book it.

SSawyer

FNG
I'm looking at booking a Dall Sheep hunt for 2024 and was wondering if anyone could give an insight into why the huge price difference in hunting a Sheep in Alaska vs Canada(Yukon/NWT). I looked a few years back and the prices in Canada weren't really at this level but COVID happened and postponed life for almost everyone here in Canada.
Heading out today for a sheep hunt in the NWT. Never felt so nervous/anxious/excited! Never have I prepared so long/hard to be ready for a hunt. Shot my rifle more. A training program with a loaded pack all summer. Improved the quality of my gear. Would be happy to share the good, bad details if anyone is interested. (In two weeks, of course!!

TXCO

WKR
Alaska:
Lower chance of success (good chance you will come home empty handed)
Possibly a physically harder hunt
Planes frequently buzzing around in the sky
Competition from resident hunters
Competition from other outfitters

Canada:
Higher chance of success (if you are in shape and can shoot, you will get a ram)
Outfitters have exclusive concessions
Resident pressure is possible but highly unlikely

This is a great summary without even taking into account the recent conversations in alaskan populations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SSawyer

FNG
This is a great summary without even taking into account the recent conversations in alaskan populations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just finished my sheep/caribou hunt in NWT. Excellent outfitter experience. The attention to detail made all the difference. Weather was amazing. Use of a helicopter allowed us to get into areas that were otherwise unreachable. It was still difficult hiking. I had to ascend 1500 vertical feet thru slippery slate rock to get my ram. Caribou were scattered in more easily accessed areas. All done from spike camps. Base camp had a warm shower and Wi-Fi access. All 8 hunters were successful with multiple quality animals. Made lots of new friends. Can’t say enough good things about the entire experience.
A96AFFB7-FEF9-4507-8157-16B77C661ACD.jpeg

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Just finished my sheep/caribou hunt in NWT. Excellent outfitter experience. The attention to detail made all the difference. Weather was amazing. Use of a helicopter allowed us to get into areas that were otherwise unreachable. It was still difficult hiking. I had to ascend 1500 vertical feet thru slippery slate rock to get my ram. Caribou were scattered in more easily accessed areas. All done from spike camps. Base camp had a warm shower and Wi-Fi access. All 8 hunters were successful with multiple quality animals. Made lots of new friends. Can’t say enough good things about the entire experience.
View attachment 445044
Congrats, great ram!!

South Nahannni? Lancaster NWT outfitters? I know they both use helis

Big338

FNG
Going with Lancaster next year August 1st. Very excited as many others since Covid it should have been 2 years ago.