Alaska travel

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
On the other side of the coin, I do remember this spring either Montana or Idaho stopped selling hunting/fishing licenses to non-residents at one point. If you had already purchased one, you could still travel and hunt. I don't disagree w/ waiting to buy locking tags until you get there, but I did go ahead and buy mine. Live life on the edge and run the gauntlet I guess lol
I did the same thing, I just didn't want to deal with getting tags there. Im not worried about getting a refund if they were to close to non residents

VernAK

WKR
72 and never hunted Alaska, praying everyday to make it to the tundra with caribou on the horizon, lol.

Kerrbow,

Get your gear packed and ready to go and forget that age crap!

I'm flying in for caribou on September 5th with some younger folks to one of my favorite locations. We've also taken moose and sheep in that spot so it can be interesting.

I'll only shoot a caribou if he's huge....larger than I've taken previously ........but I'll have a good time!

I've been doing this since 1969 and intend to continue.

I'm 78.

Cowbell

WKR
Kerrbow,

I'm flying in for caribou on September 5th with some younger folks to one of my favorite locations. We've also taken moose and sheep in that spot so it can be interesting.

I'll only shoot a caribou if he's huge....larger than I've taken previously ........but I'll have a good time!

I'm 78.
Post of the day!

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Kerrbow,

I'm 78.
Wish I would have started coming to Alaska around then. You have seen more neat things than you could remember I bet.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tried that everlywell home kit yet, and know what their turnaround time is? Montana is backed up on testing results, and I’m looking at 5 days to get results. The Everlywell test says 72 hours from the time the sample arrives. With overnight shipping, if they post results at the end of that 72 hours, I wouldn’t make the 72 hour window Alaska has for flying in..

Heading up in 2 weeks to meet my dad and brother (Alaska residents) for my first time chasing sheep. Always thought getting in tip top shape would be my biggest challenge, not a pandemic 😆

Any help or advice would be great!

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tried that everlywell home kit yet, and know what their turnaround time is? Montana is backed up on testing results, and I’m looking at 5 days to get results. The Everlywell test says 72 hours from the time the sample arrives. With overnight shipping, if they post results at the end of that 72 hours, I wouldn’t make the 72 hour window Alaska has for flying in..

Heading up in 2 weeks to meet my dad and brother (Alaska residents) for my first time chasing sheep. Always thought getting in tip top shape would be my biggest challenge, not a pandemic 😆

Any help or advice would be great!
Why do you need the test? Why can't you do option #3 and say you will be quarantining for the duration of the trip? Thats what you will be doing anyway if you are out in the bush.

Been looking at the 72hr self test kits, have heard they normally are back in 48hrs... couple of guys at work are flying up to AK a couple of weeks before I come up hunting so I should see how well it works prior.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you need the test? Why can't you do option #3 and say you will be quarantining for the duration of the trip? Thats what you will be doing anyway if you are out in the bush.

Are they considering being in the bush the entire time a quarantine? Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread. When I was trying to read into that a couple weeks ago I hadn’t seen anything that for sure said that was kosher. But heck if they consider that a quarantine, that would be ideal! I see that have quarantine address. Just write mountain range? 😂

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
Are they considering being in the bush the entire time a quarantine? Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread. When I was trying to read into that a couple weeks ago I hadn’t seen anything that for sure said that was kosher. But heck if they consider that a quarantine, that would be ideal! I see that have quarantine address. Just write mountain range? 😂
I don't know, thats why I was asking. But I can't see why it wouldn't be considered a quarantine if your not going to be around anyone.
Im pretty sure thats what I'm going to do. Im going to write the address for the outfitter as address Im quarantineing.
Are they going to come check on you? no way they are doing that
This whole thing is just scare tactic to keep people out of Alaska, its dumb
Just like this spring when I went turkey hunting in WY, WY said if you come into there state as a non resident you must quarantine for 14 days or duration of trip. I never saw anyone that was stopping people on the road going from SD to WY

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know, thats why I was asking. But I can't see why it wouldn't be considered a quarantine if your not going to be around anyone.
Im pretty sure thats what I'm going to do. Im going to write the address for the outfitter as address Im quarantineing.
Are they going to come check on you? no way they are doing that
This whole thing is just scare tactic to keep people out of Alaska, its dumb
Just like this spring when I went turkey hunting in WY, WY said if you come into there state as a non resident you must quarantine for 14 days or duration of trip. I never saw anyone that was stopping people on the road going from SD to WY
If I can't results at the airport fast enough this is my plan. I called both the anchorage and Kotzebue airports and confirmed this will work. I was worried they wouldnt let me get on my connecting flight in anchorage but they said you are allowed to travel to your final destination to "quarantine". No way anyone is going around checking if people are quarantining unless maybe if results come back positive. I agree, is just a deterrent to keep people out of Alaska.

Elkangle

WKR
Yeah i Really dont think this is a big scheme to keep people out of AK....they making a living off us coming up there

Be a good year to tip alil extra

mcseal2

WKR
If I can't results at the airport fast enough this is my plan. I called both the anchorage and Kotzebue airports and confirmed this will work. I was worried they wouldnt let me get on my connecting flight in anchorage but they said you are allowed to travel to your final destination to "quarantine". No way anyone is going around checking if people are quarantining unless maybe if results come back positive. I agree, is just a deterrent to keep people out of Alaska.

I called both the Kotzebue and Anchorage airports today also. Both said I could fly all the way to Kotzebue without a previous test and get tested at the airport in Kotzebue. It is a rapid test and currently results are coming back in 5-6 hours. After the test I’m supposed to limit contact as much as possible until results are back. Once they are back negative I’m good to go anywhere from there. As long as nothing changes that seems very manageable. I plan to get a test the week before leaving home to verify I’m negative prior to leaving my home state. That way the chance of a positive test in AK is minimal. If I’m exposed on the flight up, I’m in the field after caribou before I would ever know and already isolated.

Trial153

WKR
I decided to do the home test 24 hours before my departure, hopefully i have results before i touch down in fairbanks 48 hours later, of not i will retest at fairbanks.
It is what it, i will do my best to comply and be thank full if i get this hunt in.

I decided to do the home test 24 hours before my departure, hopefully i have results before i touch down in fairbanks 48 hours later, of not i will retest at fairbanks.
It is what it, i will do my best to comply and be thank full if i get this hunt in.
Which home test did you get. I'm in the same boat. Just called Fairbanks and was told it's taking 48 to 72 hours for results