Alaska travel

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know whether COVID cancellations/travel restrictions would constitute a valid reason for ADFG to issue a refund of a big game locking tag?
I would think so but I am waiting to buy my tag since my hunt is not until Sept. 14th.

AKBorn

WKR
Anyone know whether COVID cancellations/travel restrictions would constitute a valid reason for ADFG to issue a refund of a big game locking tag?

I would give ADFG a call - if they haven't already thought about this, wouldn't hurt to get their minds pondering this issue...

mooster

WKR
yeah I want to go ahead and buy mine and avoid waiting to have to get it when I get to AK, but hate to eat the price of license and tags for my son and I both were AK to prevent our entry. I already lost money on my spring MT trip due to their COVID quarantine against non-residents..

I highly recommend getting your tags and license once you arrive, no sense in getting them early unless you will not be going through a town that has a place to get them here.

I highly recommend getting your tags and license once you arrive, no sense in getting them early unless you will not be going through a town that has a place to get them here.

This is exactly what I've been saying for a couple months at least. A bit more hassle to get them after arrival, but at least you won't be worrying about lost money or refund hurdles.

On the other side of the coin, I do remember this spring either Montana or Idaho stopped selling hunting/fishing licenses to non-residents at one point. If you had already purchased one, you could still travel and hunt. I don't disagree w/ waiting to buy locking tags until you get there, but I did go ahead and buy mine. Live life on the edge and run the gauntlet I guess lol

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I overnight in ANC and fly to Kotzebue on the next day. Pickup in Anc in the morning before my flight or wait to Kotz?

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Update: spoke to an ADFG rep in the Anchorage office and asked him specifically if a COVID-19 cancellation would constitute a refundable event. He said each request would be taken and reviewed individually and that there are definitely no guarantees. He recommended that I consider waiting until arrival and purchasing locking tags at Sportsmans or Cabelas or other rather than risk a nonreimbursable expense. He even went so far as to confirm the open hours for the stores in Anchorage there to give comfort that I'd have options when I land at 3pm on Saturday.

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I don't arrive in Anc until 10pm and my flight to Kotz is 1035am next morning. I won't be able to catch a sporting goods store open before I need to be at the airport I am guessing. Is the ADF&G close to the airport and do they sell licenses and tags?

NUGGET

WKR
I don't arrive in Anc until 10pm and my flight to Kotz is 1035am next morning. I won't be able to catch a sporting goods store open before I need to be at the airport I am guessing. Is the ADF&G close to the airport and do they sell licenses and tags?
Yes

AKBorn

WKR
That will work for me. Thanks a bunch.:giggle:(y)

I'm a wee bit anal retentive, so take this for what it's worth...with cases on the rise in AK, I would call ADFG 2-3 days prior to your flight to make sure the branch you want to visit has not reduced their hours, or gone remote, like many lower 48 agencies have. Peace of mind is worth a quick call, at least to me...best of luck that your trip happens!

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a wee bit anal retentive, so take this for what it's worth...with cases on the rise in AK, I would call ADFG 2-3 days prior to your flight to make sure the branch you want to visit has not reduced their hours, or gone remote, like many lower 48 agencies have. Peace of mind is worth a quick call, at least to me...best of luck that your trip happens!
Thanks for the heads up on that. Will certainly do that. If I wasn't so durn old I would reschedule for next year.