Alaska tent

BooneAK

FNG
New to AK, not new to camping or winter camping. The Arctic Ovens are bomb tents, but they're heavy and cost 3x what a conventional 4 season tent would cost, like the Cabelas Guide tents, and they start at $2,000 in useable sizes. What are you using and why? Thx!

For base camps where wt. isn’t a huge consideration, AO all day (and night), long! I have both, a Cabela’s Alaska Guide Dome and a AO. I haven’t used the guide dome in over 10 years, but the last time I used the AO was last month. Absolutely no comparison IMO, but yeah you’re right, they aren’t cheap. If you want the absolute best, most bomber, and condensation free tent manufactured, look no further than the Arctic Oven. As an added bonus, they’re 100% made in Alaska and have excellent customer satisfaction.

I’ll even go so far as to say, that these two tents don’t even belong in the same conversation, but obviously that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% agree. WAY different categories.

I need to sit on my hands when I read people sing almighty praise to the cabelas dome tent in the moose forum. I've used em and they get the job done, but unless I'm sheep or goat hunting I'm not getting on my knees to get in and out of a tent. We family camp in our AO mostly year round with a now 2 year old and will take our newborn in the next couple months. They are overbuilt with more than enough guy points and the no condensation is awesome. The only problem is that they get too hot! So far all 3 people that have come up from the lower 48 to hunt with me have left with an AO for their elk camp. They now make a single pole version that is a little more reasonable on the weight aspect. I didn't see if they did it last year, buy they typically do 10-15% off during the sportsman show.

AO is way above the Cabelas guide tent. Stopped in a Alaksa Tent and tarp to look at the Arctic oven. Wow they were nice. If your budget allows that would be the way I would go for long term hunting and camping in Alaska.

Either way keep us posted

Thanks, all -- AO it is. That's what I was hoping you'd say, and I'm happy for the consensus, too. Now get this: the lead time is 4 weeks for the model and color I was looking at. Stopped in after work, and they just had someone cancel an order for that exact tent. ! Now I'll be picking it up first thing in the morning -- meant to be! Thanks, again!

Any of the AO users want to weigh in with the model their using and why? The first hand feedback is invaluable compared to the normal company marketing pitch info.

Any of the AO users want to weigh in with the model their using and why? The first hand feedback is invaluable compared to the normal company marketing pitch info.

Yes! I’d love to hear some firsthand feed back too. Also what stove are ya running?

I’ve been thinking about investing in a similar tent too. I guess what surprises me is that, I think, the AO are basically the same tent (tech and fabric) as they were a decade ago. Just surprises me there hasn’t been a copy cat or new latest greatest material upgrade.

Just can’t improve perfect maybe...?

I didn't want the restrictions that come with pulling a camper and finding a spot for it and I didn't want a cab over since I seem to already fill up my crew cab 8 foot bed and topper with gear every weekend. Plus where do you put coolers and dead animals with a cab over? I'm probably gonna have to even throw the Thule on this year with an added kid to haul all our crap. I've had the Cabelas dome, 8 man SO, and still have a SO cimarron. They're all good tents for their intended use. For an every weekend family tent with kids or a base camp where space/weight isn't an issue, the AO just can't be touched.

I have an AO 10. The igloo seems to me more of a hunker down tent targeted for winter use and we wanted more vertical walls because I'm tall and it's easier to fit things like a pack and play in. I think we camp pretty close to every weekend from the start of spring bear in early May until we catch our last coho on the KP sometime in October. Then maybe just a few times between october and may. The 10 has been plenty of room for two adults and pack n play plus gear. I think we will be fine with 3 of us on the floor and a pack and play this year. Another kid and we will have to upsize. I didn't want to go any bigger because I fly it out to moose camp and it wasn't necessary. Other than moose camp, I run a buddy heater (I've even flown the buddy heater and propane out when my weight allowed). When I use a stove, it's the SO one that I bought with the 8 man, not sure which size. If I was heating with a stove while camping with my family, I would need a larger size tent. I looked into the NuWay stoves, but I just don't see the use for them unless it's legit winter and you plan to run the heater for an extended time. Even February on Kodiak we hardly ran the heater. Moose hunting we run it for maybe 15 minutes in the morning and that's it (unless we need to dry gear which we usually need to sit in the vestibule while the tent cooks). I don't seem to have an issue with drying stuff out with my buddy heater. Maybe it's the fabrics on the AO? I don't know, just always seem to get stuff dry I guess and toddlers in the summer get stuff WET! I'm guessing it's because the "wet" burn of the propane just transfers through the tent fabric as it's designed to do and doesn't get absorbed in clothes like it would in one of the other tents. The wood burn admittedly dries clothes a bit faster.

The vestibule is a great size for storage when away from camp. A lot of weekend we don't even bother to put up our canopy, we will just sit in the vestibule if it's raining. Finally, the fact that the tent is always dry inside is what completely sold my wife. The soaking wet tent walls are what she really doesn't like about the SO tents (that and the whole missing floor with kids crawling around thing). Obviously there a liners for those tents but it's still no comparison. Again, SO tents are great tents for their intended use and I love my cimarron, but not great for my family's intended use. In addition, that fabric used on the AO tents almost seems to insulate. Unless it's below 40 or so, we rarely run a heater and below that we run it for maybe 5-10 minutes at a time. We pick our weekends and don't really camp if it is going to get below 10 degrees so obviously it would need to be cranked up under that.

The only red check is the weight and size issue. Which I think they took it as far as they could without sacrificing what an AO tent is with the newest single pole version. I'm getting suckered into a float hunt this year so I'm thinking hard about getting the single pole. I'm a princess now and want my AO while moose hunting!

One tip if you buy the 10: I didn't bother with a footprint. A 10x12 tarp fits perfectly underneath and gives you a couple feet into the vestibule to cut down on mess. Just fold each corner in so they don't gather rain.

I sold my igloo this fall, great tent but wife & I both got tired of having to get on hands & knees to reach the zipper & get our back & shoulders wet from the condensation on the fly.......it was the only complaint I had, even went into ak tent & tarp & tried to see if they could change the zipper so we wouldn't need to kneel down so low....no dice

I'm running a 12X12 with a vestibule, family of 6. I can put 2 sets of bunk cots in it, and 2 pads on the floor, or even a queen air mattress in between the cot sets. I'm running off of wheelers, so weight isn't really a issue. The vestibule is key, nice to store gear out of the weather. A buddy heater has kept us just fine at 25 below, sometimes too hot.

I didn't want the restrictions that come with pulling a camper and finding a spot for it and I didn't want a cab over since I seem to already fill up my crew cab 8 foot bed and topper with gear every weekend. Plus where do you put coolers and dead animals with a cab over? I'm probably gonna have to even throw the Thule on this year with an added kid to haul all our crap. I've had the Cabelas dome, 8 man SO, and still have a SO cimarron. They're all good tents for their intended use. For an every weekend family tent with kids or a base camp where space/weight isn't an issue, the AO just can't be touched.

I have an AO 10. The igloo seems to me more of a hunker down tent targeted for winter use and we wanted more vertical walls because I'm tall and it's easier to fit things like a pack and play in. I think we camp pretty close to every weekend from the start of spring bear in early May until we catch our last coho on the KP sometime in October. Then maybe just a few times between october and may. The 10 has been plenty of room for two adults and pack n play plus gear. I think we will be fine with 3 of us on the floor and a pack and play this year. Another kid and we will have to upsize. I didn't want to go any bigger because I fly it out to moose camp and it wasn't necessary. Other than moose camp, I run a buddy heater (I've even flown the buddy heater and propane out when my weight allowed). When I use a stove, it's the SO one that I bought with the 8 man, not sure which size. If I was heating with a stove while camping with my family, I would need a larger size tent. I looked into the NuWay stoves, but I just don't see the use for them unless it's legit winter and you plan to run the heater for an extended time. Even February on Kodiak we hardly ran the heater. Moose hunting we run it for maybe 15 minutes in the morning and that's it (unless we need to dry gear which we usually need to sit in the vestibule while the tent cooks). I don't seem to have an issue with drying stuff out with my buddy heater. Maybe it's the fabrics on the AO? I don't know, just always seem to get stuff dry I guess and toddlers in the summer get stuff WET! I'm guessing it's because the "wet" burn of the propane just transfers through the tent fabric as it's designed to do and doesn't get absorbed in clothes like it would in one of the other tents. The wood burn admittedly dries clothes a bit faster.

The vestibule is a great size for storage when away from camp. A lot of weekend we don't even bother to put up our canopy, we will just sit in the vestibule if it's raining. Finally, the fact that the tent is always dry inside is what completely sold my wife. The soaking wet tent walls are what she really doesn't like about the SO tents (that and the whole missing floor with kids crawling around thing). Obviously there a liners for those tents but it's still no comparison. Again, SO tents are great tents for their intended use and I love my cimarron, but not great for my family's intended use. In addition, that fabric used on the AO tents almost seems to insulate. Unless it's below 40

Awesome firsthand info! Thank you for taking the time to pass on your experience!

Still shocks me the Mr Buddy will dry gear. Great to hear your experiences!

If you find yourself wanting a bigger tent or if anyone else is looking to sell an 8 or 10 w a vestibule, lemme know!

I just sold my AO 10 Extreme and got a 12 w/vestibule. I’ve also used an AO Arktika quite a bit in years past, and pretty much only use little propane heaters like the Buddy heaters, just because they’re easy, convenient, and no mess.
c2e3e6c26425aa56bd353d5dbf5b3855.jpg

d9ae9bad6eb95cc3184dbd5cf96a94b1.jpg

3a83ab7ebbf80f2d9aa50f84a880ebd9.jpg

9f3438563b07fbd948085f67a419fd62.jpg

86276b390892f338f0fb3828fe1a2213.jpg

And then there’s this photo off of their website. This is one of the best ones I’ve seen yet.
239a06f53f9d4922eb7536f5b13561d0.jpg

AK Trout Bum:
I appreciate the pics.

No way am I cooking that close to my sleeping quarters. Especially that tasty chunk of meat. Just asking for trouble, depending on the time of year.

Have you guys tested your fence? I bought a meter for our system and decided to check it last time we were down in Kulik. Surprise - we weren't getting nearly the juice anticipated. Poor grounding because of dry gravel not allowing current to travel. It was much weaker on the far side of fence from the ground rod.

I'm thinking of going to a dual wire system this year, where we'd have both neg and pos strands within the fence, and no ground rod.

I’ve been thinking about investing in a similar tent too. I guess what surprises me is that, I think, the AO are basically the same tent (tech and fabric) as they were a decade ago. Just surprises me there hasn’t been a copy cat or new latest greatest material upgrade.

Just can’t improve perfect maybe...?

Actually they’re made out of pretty much the same fabric that they’ve used for the last 25 years or so.
The one I just sold was about 25 years old and almost identical to my new one, with the only difference being the newer ones (last decade or so), have an improved Vapex material for the main body of the tent.

Last edited:
Back