Alaska rain gear

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I'm just wondering what guys are using for rain moose hunting Alaska. I'm going up the this fall to pack for a guiding outfit so I'm gonna need some gear. Mainly just wondering if it's worth getting really good gear or just cheaper stuff. I've never done this but I'm guessing it will have to be fairly durable due to lots of brush and stuff. I'd just like to hear your opinions. Thanks!

If I was coming up to pack moose for an outfitter, I'd forgo the fancy and expensive rain gear and I'd locate a Sentry Hardware or Big Rays once in the state, buy two sets of Helly Hansen rain gear and call it good. You'll be able to beat the snot out of it, you'll remain dry and spend far less than what you would on one set of the higher end stuff.

If I knew more, I'd tailor my response accordingly, but without knowing what kind of camp you'll be in, area (brush, boggy, open country), and the specific tasks you'll be performing each day it's hard to say.

Best of luck!

Wapiti1

WKR
The guides I know use Helly Hansen. They pair that with breathables from Simms, Sitka or Kuiu. If they are hunkered down glassing in the rain all day, the helly's are the ticket. If they have to go on a run to a bull, they dump the Helly's and put on the breathables. Or wear the breathable under the helly's and shed the helly. They also like the slicker length as opposed to the parka length.

If you just get one type, Nick covered it. I've also heard them speak highly of Grunden's.

Jeremy

duchntr

WKR
If your trying to decide between cheap breathable rain gear and rubber Id go rubber everytime. Ive seen cheap rain gear fail in the field way to many times, but some folks have to learn the hard way I suppose. I am partial to Kuiu chugach shell if you want camo or arcteryx proshells if not. BTW Im pretty sure most of the big hunting gear companies offer guide discounts.

OP
M

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! I'll look into the Helly stuff...I'm about as clueless as anyone else as to what sort of terrain. I no there is a decent amount of brush tho. Ya I kinda figured if I was getting breathable gear I'd have to get real good before it would be worth it. I live in North Idaho and hunt mainly around here so having $600 worth of rain gear would hardly be worth it. Anymore brands and ideas welcome.

Kotaman

WKR
I agree 100% with Nick. Helly Hanson is the way to go for your job. For on the go hunting in the rain, the best I've wore is the Kryptek Altitude Takur. Expensive, but works...

mcseal2

WKR
These guys are right. Only thing I'd add is that I sweat terrible if I wear the Helly jackets while really active. I bought Kuiu Yukon pants and a First Lite SEAK jacket for my moose hunt that worked well last year. That jacket was nicer to work hard in with the pit zips and being somewhat breathable than my Helly ever was.

After finding out how much more comfortable that can be sometimes when working on the ranch in the rain I'll pair my Helly bibs with a breathable jacket. I picked up a Sitka Cloudburst that was new w/o tags a while back cheap and I've been using this jacket. As long as I avoid barbed wire with it (take the Helly for that) it has held up well.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I might buy 2 jackets, a long Helly and a breathable one. Pick which one you wear based off the conditions. If the beating from brush busting will mainly be on your lower half the rubber can take that abuse while wearing the more comfortable jacket.

Will_m

WKR
I'm going to be honest. I did not read the messages posted in response.

If you don't get HH or some other kind impermeable fabric, you got the wrong thing.

Breathable means water-resistant by definition. Not good when you expect real rain over extended periods of time.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When I use jelly Hansen or grundens, I end up soaked from the inside. I hate it. I like kuiu yukon or chugs I raingear.

sargent

WKR
I've been using the HH gear for a few years and it has worked well. I'm thinking of switching from the pants to the bibs to avoid the wet belly I sometimes get with the pants. My question is, do the suspender straps on the bibs get in the way or otherwise interfere with backpack or bino harness straps?

anyone use a poncho? Like and MLD pro or gatewood cape for glassing and then goretex underneath?

Jimss

WKR
I would also agree that HH is the way to go around camp and when not hiking. If you are doing horseback hunting HH may also work well. I would highly recommend a 2nd set of top quality Kuiu or Sitka raingear for hiking.....they are like gold in Alaska! There are usually great deals on nearly new sets in the classified section of this website, Craigslist, etc....and you can likely find Sitka new pair at significant discount if you do some web searching.

If Kuiu or Sitka are totally out of your budget I would highly recommend Marmot Precips. I've been on gobs of Alaska sheep/goat hunts and fishing trips over the years and the Precips work almost as well as Kuiu or Sitka. Sierra Trading usually has them for around $50 for pants and $50 tops which is an incredible bargain for the quality! You may be able to find a ST discount code for 20 to 30% off that amazing price! I have 2 sets of Precips!

One other strong word of advice is....whatever jacket you buy MAKE SURE it has pitzips. I can guarantee you will get wet from the inside-out without them! Helly Hansan, Marmot Precip, Kuiu, and Sitka come with these. I also prefer pants that have a zipper towards the bottom so they are easier to get on and off without taking off your boots. It's always a bonus having jacket and pants with pockets.

One other word of advice is if you are around water...which moose usually are....be sure to have a pair of chest waders. The moose may end up in the "drink" ….talking from experience! Waders also work great when rafting, boating, etc. The nice thing about waders is you are waterproof up to your arms! Alders and willows can be pretty tough on waders so you may want a patch kit. With waders plus rain jacket you are totally waterproof!

AKBorn

WKR
What outfit are you working for, and what Game Management unit? we may be able to give you a little more idea of the terrain depending on what outfit you're working for.

deadwolf

WKR
If you are working for a guide, you can likely get a pro deal with any of the big name gear companies. The rubber stuff will keep you dry, from the outside, but you’ll be soaked from sweat on the inside. If you can get a pro deal, I’d get the KUIU Yukon set and be happy with the money I invested. In the words of Marcus Aurelius, “...accept the resulting costs as money well-spent.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Rubbers: Helly Hansen Impertech Guide Jacket (3/4) length, or Grundens Neptune jacket/bibs
Breathable: Sitka Stormfront or Kuiu Yukon.

I've often worn good chest waders with lugged wading boots, then a rubber jacket for glassing and a breathable jacket for moving (Sitka). As long as you aren't wear cotton base layers you will be money, merino and polar-tech are your friends.