Alamo Precision Altitude or Rbros Apex Hunter

DIY

WKR
Sort of Narrowing down my Search. Anyone has any opinions on these (2) Guns that have either of them? Greatly Appreciative

With the anTi action on the APR there are a ton of prefits available that won’t require a smith if you want another barrel. If the rogue action headspaces the same it’s a non-issue but I’d ask. I’d also prefer the TT in the APR to the jewel in Rbros. Cheek piece in rbros is a nice touch. Other than that they appear very similar.

Totoro

WKR
Not taking anything away from the fellas at APR; I have seen and shot a few of their wares that belong to other shooters that I know and not one complaint. Their turn around time is pretty quick compared to others.

That being said, Travis gets my money.

When you call and want to talk, you get him and only him. He gives you the no BS answers and he has very particular reasons why he won't do/work on specific items; I know since I have asked!

He builds the rifles from start to finish with no assembly line (not to say there is anything wrong with assembly line production as long as the QC procedure is executed, GAP/LRI/APR/WTO etc have it down). He proof shoots the rifles and supplies load data when appropriate.

I owned an RBros years ago a foolishly sold it, my current RBbros and others coming from Travis will be buried with me.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a altitude, from before it had that moniker and was sporting the old action. I've got nothing but good things to say about it. The rifle shoots significantly better than I can shoot it. Robert and team at APR are good people and will do anything to make you happy with your rifle. Be warned though, they will try hard to lead you away from things that don't seem to work 100% of the time for builds they make.

Heck, if you ask, they will let you know what day/time they're gonna chamber your rifle and let you witness the barrel being indicated in and machined.

When you call, you'll probably get Garrett or John (front desk guys). They're very knowledgeable about most of the standard questions customers ask, but if you ask for Robert he will call you back to answer any of the more technical questions you have.

PS. Ask about the reamer... they usually have several. 1 Sammi and a couple that are set up for specific applications/bullets.

I have 2 RBros
And apex hunter in 300 wm
And a steel barrel on a factory action.
Travis and both rifles are outstanding.
Travis will build you whatever you want.
If you want an anTi or a trigger tech he will do it.
He is just on a revolving order from proof and manners so it may take a little longer.
20190729_183208.jpg20190726_074754.jpg

Raised cheek piece is great. Wish it had a notch so I didn't have to remove it to remove the bolt.
But its easy to get back where it was.

Carbon for sure.
The balance of the rifle is so much more neutral .
My steel barrel is a training gun for me so way to heavy for hunting.
But that is not the normal profile for his steel barrel hunting builds.

OP
D

DIY

WKR
I hear carbon barrels can shoot as good as steel, however I never heard they shoot better? Any opinions?

I hear carbon barrels can shoot as good as steel, however I never heard they shoot better? Any opinions?

I can’t think of any reason making a thin barrel core and wrapping it with carbon would help accuracy but can think of a number of ways it could hurt accuracy. Seems barrel makers primary goal is to not degrade accuracy but keep weights light. If not using a muzzle device I see zero reason to use carbon.

mt100gr.

WKR
Lol no way I would of had the balls to keep going after 5 🤪
I almost stopped a couple times! I only had 10 rounds with me that day but once I got to that point I kind of wanted to keep going....of course that was "back in the day" when 215s and H1000 was growing on trees.

OP
D

DIY

WKR
Thats exactly the setup i was looking at. 300 win mag 215 bergers and H1000. Lw Hunter

mt100gr.

WKR
Thats exactly the setup i was looking at. 300 win mag 215 bergers and H1000. Lw Hunter
That Rbros 300WM of mine is an absolute stroker. And so easy to shoot. I'd recommend one to anyone in the market for a custom. Last November my bull took 3 steps and folded.2020-11-19 16.37.33.jpg20201119_163630.jpg