Alabama hunter looking for advice on bags and strategy

So I'm slowly acquiring all the equipment to hopefully transition me into a new style of hunting and get me back into the woods more often. When I was younger I was always part of a hunting club and we could drive trucks and four wheelers wherever to pick up a deer. Eventually we let our lease go and I kind of burnt out on hunting for a while. Since then I've been hunting 10 acres of land behind my parents house that has given up more big bucks then we ever killed of the clubs. But, I have a yearning for a little more adventure. I bought a Kifaru pack last year, just ordered a new Tikka compact rifle, and am ready to wonder into the forrest chasing some public land Whitetails.

I plan to hike in a few miles and camp out, then hunt from there. I ordered a Kifaru gun bearer the other day so I went ahead and picked up one of their meat baggies to. I'm trying to visualize how I'm going to handle the meat from a kill site, back to the campsite, then back to the truck. I'm thinking the meat baggie will work great for transporting from the kill to camp, and from the camp to the truck. When at camp I'm guessing I'll need something more breathable like a tag bag or something to hang the meat in.

What kind of bags would you recommend for this and how many to keep the meat from a whitetail separated enough to stay cool? This will be might first attempt at this kind of hunting and meat packing so any help is appreciated. Most guys around here are dragging deer or using deer carts but that crap is for the birds!

I used the gutless method to get my deer quartered and back to camp. I used two of the generic elk quarter bags from WalMart stretch cotton made by Allen. I hung it with paracord i brought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
aclawrence
Cool, I was just watching a Michael Strahan video on Youtube and he was comparing synthetic and cotton bags. He said carry the Tag bags in your pack since they pack down so small then when your back in camp you can transfer the meat over into cotton bags. I don't see myself staying longer than one night after a kill so I'm not sure if this is would be necessary for me or not.

Gutless method here as well. I prefer TAG bags. I have put a complete deer in an elk bag, but tend to use at least two or more if trying to cool meat down as opposed to just transporting it.
Having said that I tend to just pack a whitetail all the way out instead of keeping it at camp.

Gutless method and synthetic game bags. For the most part here in the NE we pack them right to the vehicle. If it was cool enough and had the time I would wait till morning to pack if it was a late kill. All but the biggest Whitetails can go out in one trip bone in. I don't use a meat bag but just a large garbage bag to line my pack.