AK residents: rain/fishing gear for Prince of Wales island in July

Braaap

WKR
We’re taking a family trip to Prince of Wales Island near Craig in early July and need some rain gear. Staying at a friends house and will be spending most days fishing off a boat. Will something cheap like Frogg Toggs be adequate or will we need something better? I have some Marmot Precip jacket and pants but worry they’ll forever smell like fish after the trip.

Any recommendations?

Sitka Hudson bibs and delta jacket is the only rain gear if found that actually keeps me dry without being soaked from sweating. The Helly Hanson rubber gear will keep the rain off but will sweat you to death if moving around much. I was stationed up there for three years and tried several cheaper options first, just save the time and misery and buy the good stuff first. I got most of my higher end gear off poshmark.com it’s like eBay strictly for clothes, if your a first responder or military/vet you can get pro deals with most of the high end companies now. What I couldn’t find second hand I’ve got through those plans it’ll save you a significant amount.
Hope this helps

gbflyer

WKR
Those Frogg Toggs are worthy for boat use for a few days. They used to be cheap and disposable, I think they have gotten a little more expensive. I’m a few miles NW of POW, we still get 100 inches a year though.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I am a fishing guide out of Craig. Actually had a guest that brought frogg toggs that worked remarkably well. But like @MBN mentioned, straight up rubber is the only way to go.
your expensive breathable stuff I would leave at home. Yes they will smell and also you may find out that they are not as waterproof as you have hoped.

I spend 6-7 months a year in SE Alaska a year, fishing and hunting.I have seen it sunny and 70 for days or pour rain for days. For something that will 100% keep you dry on the boat rubber is the way to go. Not great rain gear for real high activity A set of Helly Hansen impertech will run about 180 bucks, which is also what I use for hunting when down there. The lightweight stuff will work for intermittent rain or if there is a cabin on the boat to get out of the rain. But if salmon trolling is hot and heavy and you want to be on the back deck running the rods in the rain, heavier stuff may be in order. Its always colder on the water and rain gear is great for blocking the wind. Whichever you choose, I hope you have a great trip and the fish are hungry. Good luck.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
We’re taking a family trip to Prince of Wales Island near Craig in early July and need some rain gear. Staying at a friends house and will be spending most days fishing off a boat. Will something cheap like Frogg Toggs be adequate or will we need something better? I have some Marmot Precip jacket and pants but worry they’ll forever smell like fish after the trip.

Any recommendations?
I might add. Pending on legislation this year as they are trying to shut down SE trollers for kings. But on a normal year they start July 1st, which usually means ADFG drop the limit on kings from 1 per day, 3 per year to 1 per year. Not sure if kings are on the list but I would consider coming late June for better regs.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah unless Fishing is crazy good and you are running around with your head cut off. If that is the case you are better of mooching than using downriggers anyways. Alot more fun as well.

With that said, go with rubber. Cheaper more durable.

Most people on the Island hunt in rubber as well, which actually is physically demanding. I actually don't since I cant stand weting from the inside out.