AK Moose 2024

MQQSE

FNG
We just change 50 to 60 and shoot for that. If we miss the mark by a little, we are still legal. We just take the 50” stuff out of our heads. It’s when people are just “trying to pass the class” that they often fail. Try to get an A+ instead.

We just change 50 to 60 and shoot for that. If we miss the mark by a little, we are still legal. We just take the 50” stuff out of our heads. It’s when people are just “trying to pass the class” that they often fail. Try to get an A+ instead.

This is my plan. I’m not looking to squeak by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had an ah-ha moment with measuring moose spread using my scope. It’s a front focal plane nightforce in mils. Never needed to measure with it and I’m new to mils but figured out the math and man is it easy.

1. Range animal

2. Multiply yardage by .036 (mil per yard). This will give you the total inches in each mil at that yardage.

Option A - use scope to measure total mils and multiply number of mils by inches per mill at calculated yardage.

Option B - if in an antler restricted unit (50” moose example) divide 50” by inches per mil and make sure antler spread is wider than number after dividing.

Ex. Animal is 480 yards.

480 yards x .036 (mils per yard) = 17.28 inches per mil

Option A above - 3.5 mils x 17.28 = 60.48” spread

Option B above -

50” divided by 17.28 inches = 2.89 mils. Moose is over 2.89 and is legal.

For safe reason I would either round up to 3 mils to be sure or divide 55” by 17.28 inches to be on the safe side which equals 3.2.

Obviously it’s hard to measure to precision on a live animal with a scope but this method will help a lot if anyone needs a way to help field judge. This method will only work with a front focal plane scope and the math above only works with mils. I’m sure it will work with moa as well in a front focal plane scope if you figure out the math. Mils are just so much easier.

I do the same thing on my scope but mine is 2nd focal plane and MOA not mils.

I can be at max power and still measure a moose from 100-1000. I get 60 MOA of windage out of my reticle.

I actually did this several times. My fathers moose in 2020 was 300yds away and once I hit 19 moa I told him to shoot (19 x 3 = 57). I could have squeezed another MOA out of him but I knew once I hit 19 I was well above 50 (ended up being 61")

In 2022 on my moose, he was standing at 475yds, I was getting between 13-14 moa ( 13.5 x 4.75 = 64.125") I knew he was over 60". I ended up shooting him at 390yds and he measured 65"

It's a pretty fail save method if you do it all right. Anything below 55" and you better be pretty sure. If I get low 50s, I'll probably pass.

Good luck to you!!!

I do the same thing on my scope but mine is 2nd focal plane and MOA not mils.

I can be at max power and still measure a moose from 100-1000. I get 60 MOA of windage out of my reticle.

I actually did this several times. My fathers moose in 2020 was 300yds away and once I hit 19 moa I told him to shoot (19 x 3 = 57). I could have squeezed another MOA out of him but I knew once I hit 19 I was well above 50 (ended up being 61")

In 2022 on my moose, he was standing at 475yds, I was getting between 13-14 moa ( 13.5 x 4.75 = 64.125") I knew he was over 60". I ended up shooting him at 390yds and he measured 65"

It's a pretty fail save method if you do it all right. Anything below 55" and you better be pretty sure. If I get low 50s, I'll probably pass.

Good luck to you!!!

Thanks! I’m for sure passing if he looks close to 50”

Another, less math intensive way to use windage marks.

The classic moose judging method is to estimate 10" from outside of eye to outside of eye. I have used the scope reticle to quickly gauge that distance (i.e. it might be three hash marks at a given range and power), and then check that I have a least double that (six hash marks) on each side. With a head on view it's quick and more accurate than eyeballing it. Windage marks really help, but even a duplex can work for this in a pinch. I've done both.

In the area we hunt, we can't "hold out for 60". Those are very rare. Around 1:20 of what we kill. So being able to accurately judge mid-50's is critical if we want to put meat on the pole. Using a scope windage marks certainly helps.

Another, less math intensive way to use windage marks.

The classic moose judging method is to estimate 10" from outside of eye to outside of eye. I have used the scope reticle to quickly gauge that distance (i.e. it might be three hash marks at a given range and power), and then check that I have a least double that (six hash marks) on each side. With a head on view it's quick and more accurate than eyeballing it. Windage marks really help, but even a duplex can work for this in a pinch. I've done both.

In the area we hunt, we can't "hold out for 60". Those are very rare. Around 1:20 of what we kill. So being able to accurately judge mid-50's is critical if we want to put meat on the pole. Using a scope windage marks certainly helps.

That is another great way to field judge!

I’ve got the Leopold range finder with the width measurement built in . I’m constantly ranging stuff, then running out with my tape and measuring.it’s always within an inch.

lseanm

FNG
Imagemeter app works really well using 10" between the eyes as your reference.

lseanm

FNG
1000010792.jpg
Buddy shot this a couple years ago and it measured 63" with tape and app

lseanm

FNG
But, can you use the app while the animal is on the hoof, or are you saying just after the kill you can measure it?
Yes... you can use the app while the animal is on the hoof as long as you can get a picture of it head on using your phone with or without phoneskope. You have to upload the picture to the app to get the measurements.

Not the quickest way but it seems to be very accurate if you have the time.

As shared by others...I first started carrying a 44mag when I first moved up here nearly forty-years ago, and then a 454 Casull. I handload, so I loaded hard cast bullets for each of those.

About ten years ago I switched over to a 10mm that I carry in a chest-holster loaded with Buffalo-bore OTC ammunition...and I've never looked back. The 10mm is a comfortable all-day carry, even under my pfd on remote 10-day floats. I've had it drawn a couple of times when bluff-charged by a grizzly, but thankfully it ended well for me and the bears.

Edit: I was responding at the same time as you Vern...good points you make. I should note to the OP that I also am not a bowhunter. I'll add that my son in law is a devoted longbow hunter up here, and he carries a 10mm and bear-spray.
Have you had many issues with bears at Renfros ? I am headed up the same dates as you this year and have 10000000 questions for you.

AKDoc

WKR
Have you had many issues with bears at Renfros ? I am headed up the same dates as you this year and have 10000000 questions for you.
On moose hunts in the flat delta area, I have only seen black bears a few times out on the tundra feeding on blue berries...no problems. I've heard wolves howling at night once or twice and once saw one briefly in the daylight a couple hundred yards out...no problems. In fact, this year I will not be bringing a pistol with me on my moose hunt....just our rifles.

On moose hunts in the flat delta area, I have only seen black bears a few times out on the tundra feeding on blue berries...no problems. I've heard wolves howling at night once or twice and once saw one briefly in the daylight a couple hundred yards out...no problems. In fact, this year I will not be bringing a pistol with me on my moose hunt....just our rifles.
If you’re willing I’d love to exchange emails or phone numbers and pick your brain on some DIY options / ideas with them. Very excited for our trip and throwing together last minute items even tho we are essentially fully packed.