Agile Hunting Boot

Finally making the jump from fishing to hunting this year, and I’m slowly getting my gear put together.

Down to my last couple items and my biggest debate has been what sort of boot to get.

A little about me and what I’ll be using them for. Lifelong hiker, backpacker, and fisher. Active job and maintain an above average level of fitness. Always have used low top boots/shoes for hiking and backpacking, and I’m supremely confident in my ankle/foot strength and mobility.

I have done quite a bit of off-trail backpacking, and have never found a need for even mid top boots. Side hilling, boulder scrambling, and climbing have never given me issues, even with a 35 pound pack, and I very much enjoy the ability to be nimble on my feet when covering country.

The hunting I’ll be doing is alpine backcountry for black bear and blacktail. Covering ground will be my game and I want something that will fit that mentality.

My apologies for this turning into a long post, but I’m just curious what some of you run for footwear. I’ve been looking at Lapponia 2s and Salomon GTXs, but does anyone have experience with those or even low top “hiking” boots as an alternative to true “hunting” boots. Looking for something light and flexible that will be okay for *hopefully* packing out upwards of 80 pounds on my back.

Thank you!

Throw 100 lbs of whatever in your pack and go for an off trail hike in your current boots. Purchase new ones as necessary.

dtrkyman

WKR
Light flexible boots and heavy packs are a no go in my opinion. Only Saloman I had were the light x ultra, they were toast in less than a year. Saloman covered them under warranty with a credit at their store, luckily I bought them direct and it was easy.

I used the credit for trail runners.

hiker270

WKR
There are plenty of quality boots on the market for hunters. Only your feet can tell you what is the best option. Just because a boot costs $400 don't mean a thing if they don't fit your feet. I've gone down the expensive boot road and have sold several at quite a loss because they just didn't fit correctly. Had luck with some of the Crispi boots and Kenetrek's. Had some luck with Danner's and last elk season put a lot of miles on a rather inexpensive pair of Irish Setter Vaportrek's and my feet loved them. The forum's here often have boots at a decent price, probably like me they didn't work out for the buyers feet.

Finally making the jump from fishing to hunting this year, and I’m slowly getting my gear put together.

Down to my last couple items and my biggest debate has been what sort of boot to get.

A little about me and what I’ll be using them for. Lifelong hiker, backpacker, and fisher. Active job and maintain an above average level of fitness. Always have used low top boots/shoes for hiking and backpacking, and I’m supremely confident in my ankle/foot strength and mobility.

I have done quite a bit of off-trail backpacking, and have never found a need for even mid top boots. Side hilling, boulder scrambling, and climbing have never given me issues, even with a 35 pound pack, and I very much enjoy the ability to be nimble on my feet when covering country.

The hunting I’ll be doing is alpine backcountry for black bear and blacktail. Covering ground will be my game and I want something that will fit that mentality.

My apologies for this turning into a long post, but I’m just curious what some of you run for footwear. I’ve been looking at Lapponia 2s and Salomon GTXs, but does anyone have experience with those or even low top “hiking” boots as an alternative to true “hunting” boots. Looking for something light and flexible that will be okay for *hopefully* packing out upwards of 80 pounds on my back.

Thank you!
Most of September on the coast, spring bear and turkey hunting, I really like the zamberlan salathe with gaiters, it’s a good combo… I’m the same way, I don’t like substantial boots, and never have. The zamberlan trail lite evo is another good light boot

OP
pnwsteelheader
I’ll have to take a long look at Zamberlans. Thanks for the input so far. Never had an issue with boots before, just trying to make sure whatever I get holds up with the extra weight of a packout.

I’ll have to take a long look at Zamberlans. Thanks for the input so far. Never had an issue with boots before, just trying to make sure whatever I get holds up with the extra weight of a packout.
Asolo shiver is another hunting “shoe” I have worn a bunch, 100 bucks on Sierra, not as nimble as the salathe, but not far off. Unless it’s raining a bunch, with standing water, for early season hunts, I have always liked a waterproof low top with gaiters, it’s the best breathing option I’ve found while still keeping dry feet.

Obviously it’s not for everyone, but I have packed a bunch of heavy loads off the mountain in low tops. Never had ankle or foot problems, and have always worn as minimal footwear as I could

The only time I’ve ever wanted more was a solo pack of a bull a couple years ago in altra lone peaks and didn’t have trekking poles with me and it was steep.. the issue there is the excessively wide toe box and minimal traction, and the only sketchy parts were steep downhill… wasn’t terrible, but if I’m wearing them, I’m packing trekking poles. The wide toe box was the issue with them. The key with soft flexible footwear is fit, you don’t want much play in the shoe/boot with a lot of weight on your back

Kinda like wading boots, the better fit, the better control you have going through technical areas… too much play and it gets sketchy trying to get a little toe hold scaling a rocky bluff

poboy2214

FNG
I have a pair of Salomon quest 4’s that I’ve worn for a couple years now and have held up great. I’m in the same boat as you where I prefer low a lower shoe, so I just don’t lace them up all the way. But in the event you do find yourself in some nasty terrain trying to get a heavy load out, you do have the option for that added ankle support.

My only issue with them was that I bought them a little snug thinking they’d loosen up as they broke in but never did 🤦🏻‍♂️ So now I’m looking at a new pair that’ll give me the flexibility to upsize to a thicker sock when it’s cold, but that said I’ll probably end up with one of their mid rise boots. Most of the “hunting” boots I’ve tried on have been too stiff for my liking.

sargent

WKR
I've been happy with my Lapponias. I packed out an elk in them this fall. No problems. I wear Altra Lone Peaks a lot hiking and backpacking, but prefer the Lapponias for hunting because they are waterproof and more durable than the Lone Peaks.

OP
pnwsteelheader
I have a pair of Salomon quest 4’s that I’ve worn for a couple years now and have held up great. I’m in the same boat as you where I prefer low a lower shoe, so I just don’t lace them up all the way. But in the event you do find yourself in some nasty terrain trying to get a heavy load out, you do have the option for that added ankle support.

My only issue with them was that I bought them a little snug thinking they’d loosen up as they broke in but never did 🤦🏻‍♂️ So now I’m looking at a new pair that’ll give me the flexibility to upsize to a thicker sock when it’s cold, but that said I’ll probably end up with one of their mid rise boots. Most of the “hunting” boots I’ve tried on have been too stiff for my liking.

I might end up going this route. Would definitely prefer to have too little support, and have them become my backpacking boots, than too much support and have them become useless to me. I can always buy a beefier pair of boots if need be.

I’ll try to remember to post my thoughts throughout preseason scouting and into the fall. Thank you everyone for the response.

Braaap

WKR
You mentioned light, flexible and agile so I would say you could check out the vivo barefoot forest tracker esc. There is a thread or two about them. I am 100% sold on them for chukar hunting but haven’t transitioned to wearing them for big game yet (I did wear them on a pig hunt last weekend but we just used a game cart).

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
You mentioned light, flexible and agile so I would say you could check out the vivo barefoot forest tracker esc. There is a thread or two about them. I am 100% sold on them for chukar hunting but haven’t transitioned to wearing them for big game yet (I did wear them on a pig hunt last weekend but we just used a game cart).
Another vote for the ESC tracker.

I got into minimalist shoes after a very mild case of plantar fasciitis. Physical therapist basically said that the feet are coddled by normal shoes. I've worked my way up to rucking heavy with no shoes. I only wear shoes for warmth and rocks/acorns/etc.

They also have a refurbished option, if you are frugal.

They also have a low top version

cs68

FNG
My favorite lightweight boot is the la sportiva ultra raptor. They feel more like a running shoe on my feet, and are a full pound less per pair than my renegades. Ankle stability is honestly not much less than the renegades imo. Absolutely love them, but they do seem to run narrow, I had to order a wide size, which was a first for me in a boot.

OP
pnwsteelheader
Ended up going with the Lapponia 2. Arrived a couple weeks ago. Have hiked roughly 6 miles so far on them, and they feel great. Minimal break-in, and BOY, are they light in weight.

Feel free to ask any questions, I’d love to help out.