affordable hunting clothing for montana deer

H

HappyHuntr

Hey folks, new around here nice to meet you guys, I'm new to big game hunting and have some clothing questions. I love in washington state but pulled a central montana deer tag for this november (😱). I'm looking for some clothing that could be used there and in my homestate maybe, also boots too. I already have jeans, wellington boots, a cotton flannel, and a duck hunting parka. what that be sufficient? Also I'm 15 5' 4" 115. Thanks

bsnedeker

WKR
Hey folks, new around here nice to meet you guys, I'm new to big game hunting and have some clothing questions. I love in washington state but pulled a central montana deer tag for this november (😱). I'm looking for some clothing that could be used there and in my homestate maybe, also boots too. I already have jeans, wellington boots, a cotton flannel, and a duck hunting parka. what that be sufficient? Also I'm 15 5' 4" 115. Thanks
That's pretty impressive you pulled a deer tag over a month before the draw even happens! How did you manage that?

OP
H

HappyHuntr

also am getting an OTC mule deer tag for gmu 334 this year in washington.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Out of trying some top brands people have been wearing, I have always gone back to my Kuhl pants and a T shirt or hoody or any neutral earth tone, solid color. IMO, doesn't matter what you wear, just go have fun and keep the wind in your face and the sun out of it.

I am sure others will chime in with their experience but whatever I am comfortable wearing and layer for conditions.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Out of trying some top brands people have been wearing, I have always gone back to my Kuhl pants and a T shirt or hoody or any neutral earth tone, solid color. IMO, doesn't matter what you wear, just go have fun and keep the wind in your face and the sun out of it.

I am sure others will chime in with their experience but whatever I am comfortable wearing and layer for conditions.
After getting all decked in First Lite for my first trip last year, it wasn’t worth a damn. I love the stuff, some of it fits/functions well but you could dress with anything from a ski trip for rifle season. Layers are key

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Thank you all. Am looking in to some of those ranger pants (made by wrangler i think) or kuhl renegade cargo pants. Keep the nonstop pnw rain off while not being to heavy. Any boot recommendations. I wear a size 11 but feet grow quick. need to be waterproof.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all. Am looking in to some of those ranger pants (made by wrangler i think) or kuhl renegade cargo pants. Keep the nonstop pnw rain off while not being to heavy. Any boot recommendations. I wear a size 11 but feet grow quick. need to be waterproof.
I love my Kuhls they are so tough. I have gone 4 years crawling after antelope and they have no holes and have held up. I have also branded in them and worked in the yard with them

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I love my Kuhls they are so tough. I have gone 4 years crawling after antelope and they have no holes and have held up. I have also branded in them and worked in the yard with them
Thanks CC, btw I recently picked up one of them sitka traverse beanies at coastal for 33% off. Thinks like literal magic. So thin and so warm and dry. Yall probably know this but I can't contain my excitement. I'm a noob. just remember that. ;) 🌱

bsnedeker

WKR
Wrangler outdoor pants are great. For a november hunt I usually throw some long johns underneath them. I'm completely over spending 100+ dollars on pants...Sitka stuff is nice, but it doesn't make me a better hunter.

For your upper body again I would go with a good thermal base layer (I like synthetics for moisture wicking and faster drying....the 32 degree stuff from Costco is what I use), and I usually throw a regular hoody over top of that in November (I have a blaze orange hoody so I don't have to wear a vest)

For additional insulation I have puffy pants and a puffy jacket that ride in my pack unless I'm sitting down to glass. If you plan on glassing a lot they are a necessity. If you are going to be road hunting and going on long walks through the timber you probably don't need them since you'll be active.

Boots are tough if you are still growing. Honestly I would go with some cheap irish setters or something like that...no way would I be investing in high-end boots if you are going to outgrow them in a year.

wyosteve

WKR
At your age you are probably still growing. I hunted for 30 years in army surplus pants and a surplus field jacket. Don’t waste your money yet on name brand stuff.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I was looking at some of those old British wool trousers at Coleman’s milsurp. Those looks good

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Wrangler outdoor pants are great. For a november hunt I usually throw some long johns underneath them. I'm completely over spending 100+ dollars on pants...Sitka stuff is nice, but it doesn't make me a better hunter.

For your upper body again I would go with a good thermal base layer (I like synthetics for moisture wicking and faster drying....the 32 degree stuff from Costco is what I use), and I usually throw a regular hoody over top of that in November (I have a blaze orange hoody so I don't have to wear a vest)

For additional insulation I have puffy pants and a puffy jacket that ride in my pack unless I'm sitting down to glass. If you plan on glassing a lot they are a necessity. If you are going to be road hunting and going on long walks through the timber you probably don't need them since you'll be active.

Boots are tough if you are still growing. Honestly I would go with some cheap irish setters or something like that...no way would I be investing in high-end boots if you are going to outgrow them in a year.
+1 on the boots (especially when you pay for it yourself 💰➡️🕳)

Keep an eye on eddie bauers site. Their guide pro pants at the right time can be had for under $50 a pair. They also have a fleece lined pant as well. They also sell decent puffy jackets that are affordable. I understand outdoor research also has some great end of the year sales too. You should be able to find rain gear and a sift shell between these 2. You maybe able to find some great deals now on end of year sales since your specs may not be in high demand. I always like to compare deals with Amazon's pricing as well.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk