Late season Montana mule deer advice

hwy1strat

WKR
So, I have only been able to get 1 mule deer tag since I’ve started hunting and wasn’t able to harvest one. I really want to get a mule deer so I’ve decided to make the trip over to Montana on a DIY hunt. Given my lack of experience with mule deer and Montana I am hoping somebody wouldn’t mind pm’ing me some info on what I should be looking for. Im not looking for anyone’s spot or a gmu to hunt. I just want some info on what kind of terrain and elevation the mule deer typically are in in November? Also, how does the weather affect them? I’ll be doing some scouting this summer for areas and I’ve been pouring through the harvest stats on the fwp website so I have my ideas on where to go. I’m just looking to dial in my areas a little more. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

hobbes

WKR
Are you planning to hunt mountains or eastern Montana? Huge difference between the two. No real migration in the east like you'd see in the mountains so elevation plays no role.

Just some advice......but it looks like you've been around enough to have seen this, so maybe I'm missing something. You are likely going to get beat up a little in the responses for the question. It's asked so many times that it may even be completely ignored. "I want help, but I'm not asking for a honey hole", typically read will you tell me where to kill a buck. You may not intend it that way but it's asked so often that's what most folks are going to see.

Some folks will give you hell followed by other folks accusing them of being unreasonable, among other things. Afterwards the whole thread nose dives into two sides, one not willing to give you a break and the other thinking it's public land so lat and long plus trail cam photos aren't too much to ask. Considering the time of year, none of that may happen.

Last edited:
It's great that you're planning on scouting the areas beforehand and researching the harvest stats. That will help you in finding a good spot to hunt.

As for elevation, mule deer can be found at various elevations throughout Montana, but they tend to be at higher elevations during the summer and move to lower elevations during the fall and winter.

Weather can affect mule deer behavior. During November, the weather in Montana can be quite cold and snowy, which can push the deer down to lower elevations and into areas with more cover.

Overall, I would recommend focusing on areas with good cover and mixed vegetation and paying attention to the weather and wind direction. It's also a good idea to be patient and persistent, as mule deer can be elusive and hard to spot at times.

Lots of luck in your pursuit. I live here and I haven't seen a muley buck in 6 years and I hunt nearly every day of the season.

If you are in eastern Montana, it will be a combination of access, weather, and habitat. Very good chance that the most available deer are located at someplace you can't hunt.

OP
hwy1strat

hwy1strat

WKR
Is the western side or the eastern side more productive? I live in eastern Washington so the less I have to drive the better😂. That being said I feel like central or eastern Montana is the right move from what I’ve been able to find so far.

If there’s no snow yet though, will they stay up in higher country?

Geewhiz

WKR
Head over to hunt talk and you will hear that the general consensus of mule deer hunting in montana is that with the montana mule deer polulation on the decline, several hard winters, and the extremely low age class and quality of bucks in general units, there are much better and more fruitful places to hunt mule deer.

MT mule deer populations are in free fall. I last hunted in 2020, and as someone who grew up there, I couldn't find a good buck in two weeks of looking.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Have realistic expectations.

I have no intention of sounding rude with this - but with my experience with guys from WA/OR, they tend to come out and get incredibly excited about the number of deer, and usually seem to be tickled pink bringing home a truckload of young bucks. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, and obviously is perfectly within the rule of the law. If you will be happy shooting a young mule deer buck you will have no problem doing so in eastern Montana. Just please don't do the other typical move and buy as many doe tags as possible to take a pile of them home too.

Not a huge fan of dropping bombs on moms.

Good luck and have fun if you draw.

mpb21

FNG
Deer are down across the state. Finding deer is not hard, finding one older than 2.5 is a challenge. Sure wish the state would do something, anything to help the age class in general units.

Pick a spot and go for it. Will a little map research you will find deer.

Man tough decision my plan this year is search for a mature mule deer, preferably big too. If not I’ll go shoot a whitetail. They typically taste better and grow older as everyone gets boners over 145-160 mule deer.

S.Clancy

WKR
Man tough decision my plan this year is search for a mature mule deer, preferably big too. If not I’ll go shoot a whitetail. They typically taste better and grow older as everyone gets boners over 145-160 mule deer.
We've shot 7 yr old mule deer that score 130", size and age are not always connected variables.

jhemphunt

FNG
In my recent experience hunting MT, everything that is said directly above is spot on. Find the does....

mtmojo

FNG
Be careful of any sort of wet weather (snow that warms up and melts as an example). The roads turn to gumbo and can cause some issues. If you have to wait until late into the evening for the roads to stiffen up to get out on some of them. It's not fun spending the day trying to dig a truck out instead of glassing and stalking some bucks. That being said have a tow strap and a good shovel along. The thought being - If you have it, you won't need it.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I live in eastern MT and hunt here every year. Deer numbers are at a 30 year low right now, and finding bucks other than a forky may be difficult. In a nut shell, deer hunting here sucks right now.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said mule deer numbers are in decline in eastern montana. FWP announced the other day that the general “Any deer” license cannot be used to harvest mule deer does in units 301,410,411,412,417,419,426, 471 in north-central Montana. Units 621 and 622 in northeast Montana. Units 700,701,702,703,704, and 705 in southeast Montana. I agree with this change except for it may be more detrimental to our mule deer buck age class, I fear more young bucks may be harvested because hunters can not harvest a doe instead, and they will be “damned if they are going back to wherever they came from without a deer after all the money they spent to hunt Montana.” If a decent size mule deer buck on public land is what you are after I would search elsewhere at least for a few years until things bounce back.