Advice on Seek Outside Pack Size

Backcountry Renegade

Lil-Rokslider
Been looking at a few Packs from seek Outside. I like the break away pack concept, my question is what is the best size, if im coming from ultralight backpacking. I feel 5400 and up is too big since I will not be using the pack to put meat inside of it. But I am open to suggestions. Im looking at the Unweep 4800 or the Peregrine. I would also like to attach a bow to the front. For the Peregrine can you still attach a talon or merlin in the front to hold a bow if the net is in the front?

sndmn11

WKR
Been looking at a few Packs from seek Outside. I like the break away pack concept, my question is what is the best size, if im coming from ultralight backpacking. I feel 5400 and up is too big since I will not be using the pack to put meat inside of it. But I am open to suggestions. Im looking at the Unweep 4800 or the Peregrine. I would also like to attach a bow to the front. For the Peregrine can you still attach a talon or merlin in the front to hold a bow if the net is in the front?
The unaweep pack is integrated and does not separate from the frame for a meat/load shelf break away concept.

You can absolutely put a merlon or talon over the peregrine face pockets on the front.

If your plan is to use a merlin or talon, I would get a goshawk or unaweep so that you are not paying for, both financially and in weight, front face pockets and mesh that you are going to cover. You can strap your bow to the pack easily without a merlin or talon.

If the face pockets tickle your fancy, the peregrine is fully capable of anything you wish, and Wingspan pockets can add functional capacity if you were to need something for long overnight trips.

Rokwiia

WKR
I've had a SO 6,300 in both breakaway and integrated. If you were looking to buy a Goshawk today in UltraPE 400, the difference in weight between the 6,300 vs 4,800 is 2oz. They both roll down into nothing. Why even consider the 4,800 when you can add 1,500ci at a mere 2oz ding?

By comparison, adding a Merlin to the 4,800 adds 1,400ci and 12oz. You end up with less capacity than the 6,300 and the 4,800 and Merlin will weigh 10oz more.

OP
Backcountry Renegade

Backcountry Renegade

Lil-Rokslider
The unaweep pack is integrated and does not separate from the frame for a meat/load shelf break away concept.

You can absolutely put a merlon or talon over the peregrine face pockets on the front.

If your plan is to use a merlin or talon, I would get a goshawk or unaweep so that you are not paying for, both financially and in weight, front face pockets and mesh that you are going to cover. You can strap your bow to the pack easily without a merlin or talon.

If the face pockets tickle your fancy, the peregrine is fully capable of anything you wish, and Wingspan pockets can add functional capacity if you were to need something for long overnight trips.
thanks great info. I do like the breakaway option, so if the the unweep is integrated then i liekly wont go that route.
I've had a SO 6,300 in both breakaway and integrated. If you were looking to buy a Goshawk today in UltraPE 400, the difference in weight between the 6,300 vs 4,800 is 2oz. They both roll down into nothing. Why even consider the 4,800 when you can add 1,500ci at a mere 2oz ding?

By comparison, adding a Merlin to the 4,800 adds 1,400ci and 12oz. You end up with less capacity than the 6,300 and the 4,800 and Merlin will weigh 10oz more.
thanks, I actually have a custom Lanner in xpac camo and it is just far too big for me. looking at getting something smaller then this because its just way to big for me. it may actually be 6300 since is custom but im not sure

Attachments

• image_67530241.JPG
    image_67530241.JPG
    538.3 KB · Views: 29

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I have the unaweep and it compresses down nicely with the Merlin for day pack. I like that it’s integrated.
I have never attached a bow but I’m sure it’s possible.
I would also say go bigger if you are willing . I can fit a weeks worth of gear/food in my bag but it’s tight.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I have a breakaway 5400 bag. I think it shines for 5-10 day trips with a more minimalist gear list. Plenty of room for food and bulkier cold weather gear. It can pack down for shorter trips, but it's not ideal.

I think 4800 would be another good size, but I opted for a little more room, It's easier to make a big bag smaller, than a small bag bigger.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a breakaway 5400 bag. I think it shines for 5-10 day trips with a more minimalist gear list. Plenty of room for food and bulkier cold weather gear. It can pack down for shorter trips, but it's not ideal.

I think 4800 would be another good size, but I opted for a little more room, It's easier to make a big bag smaller, than a small bag bigger.
The 5400 was designed, for up to 10 days with a light weight kit.
The 3500 was 3 days
The 4800 as in the Unaweep / Talon is more like 5 day but talon allows it to expand
6000 series stuff, is most western or alaskan hunting any season any kit

Also, the new Wing Span pockets do allow an easy add of 1100 ish CI for a 6 ounce penalty.

mlgc20

WKR
I too come from an ultralight hiking background. I have a SO 4800 Divide, which is a fantastic pack. But, it is much bigger than what I need for a week. Wish I would have gotten the Peregrine. But, I have an EXO K3 3200 that is perfect for a week for me. At least until very late season, when I will go to a 4800.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a roll top closure and three side compression straps, don't see a big advantage of going smaller (a few ounces in weight savings isn't a big advantage imho).

If you're not carrying the meat inside the bag, I think the breakaway system is more advantageous- putting the weight directly against the frame. It can be carried outside the pack with an integrated pack, but not as eloquently imo.

OP
Backcountry Renegade

Backcountry Renegade

Lil-Rokslider
I too come from an ultralight hiking background. I have a SO 4800 Divide, which is a fantastic pack. But, it is much bigger than what I need for a week. Wish I would have gotten the Peregrine. But, I have an EXO K3 3200 that is perfect for a week for me. At least until very late season, when I will go to a 4800.
thanks I think im going Peregine actually. I already have a bigger older version of theirs thats custom with wings on the side. I do compress it alot which is a nice option but as many have said, so i have my options for my longer and colder days with it, but having the smaller pack is easier for me based on the gear i have at this moment.

ethan

WKR
I agree with what has already been said about the size, they compress down so small I think it's better to to bigger

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What are thoughts on the Gaia actually. I see that can be a breakaway as well. anyone use that for hunting?
Gila is integrated, the closest breakaway is the Peregrine. Gila is used a lot in lighter backpacking world, and Ive used it as a day hunting rig / as has several others I know.

OP
Backcountry Renegade

Backcountry Renegade

Lil-Rokslider
Gila is integrated, the closest breakaway is the Peregrine. Gila is used a lot in lighter backpacking world, and Ive used it as a day hunting rig / as has several others I know.
Thanks Kevin. I see the Gila is being sold also as a pack bag only option, i thought that meant i could attach It to my revolution frame. is that not the case?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can swap pack bags on integrated as well by sliding it off the frame. It is a little harder than breakaway but not much. So as an example , you could summer pack with Gila or Divide .. and then go 6300 for hunting

OP
Backcountry Renegade

Backcountry Renegade

Lil-Rokslider
You can swap pack bags on integrated as well by sliding it off the frame. It is a little harder than breakaway but not much. So as an example , you could summer pack with Gila or Divide .. and then go 6300 for hunting
Okay thanks, the reason i ask is i think the 3500 would be a great size for ultralight backpacking and day pack for hunting, but my ideal pack would be a peregrine with asymmetrical pockets to be able to put a water bottle on one side and scope on the other. I think it would be a easy sell for the ultralight hiker and hunter. the peregrine side pockets just look too big for the waterbottle to be able to take it in an out efficiently

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Packbag fabric makes up a low percentage of weight in our packs. The difference in a 6300 and 4800 may only be a few ounces. So over time I've gravitated to the 6300 for backpack hunts. It's easier to shove everything into a bigger pack without worrying about careful packing or compressing things on the outside. For day hunts I prefer a smaller pack with breakaway.

OP
Backcountry Renegade

Backcountry Renegade

Lil-Rokslider
Packbag fabric makes up a low percentage of weight in our packs. The difference in a 6300 and 4800 may only be a few ounces. So over time I've gravitated to the 6300 for backpack hunts. It's easier to shove everything into a bigger pack without worrying about careful packing or compressing things on the outside. For day hunts I prefer a smaller pack with breakaway.
right i agree, i already have the bigger pack in a lanner, im looking now for a smaller one with breakaway

I have a Gila that I use sometimes for archery elk. If there's rain in the forecast, I always take it because it's waterproof and I'm not going to mess with pack covers or liners when it's simply not necessary. I've packed plenty of bulls with the Gila, smaller meat bag inside the pack and quarters strapped to the outside with a Talon. It'll hold as much weight as you can carry. I use the small pockets on the Talon in lieu of a lid, and don't mind covering up the mesh ( I usually hang my water bladder in the mesh) because I have no need to access it quickly. It'll hold 4 days worth of stuff if you pay attention to loading it, and it's perfect for summer backpacking. I've thought about getting a bigger bag from time to time, but then I'd be tempted to fill it with crap I don't need.

Tashi

FNG
Good to know. Does the 4800 Divide not pack down small enough? If so, is it more the bag that does not pack down well? Thanks.