Advice on Dating as a hunter

Fatcamp

WKR
Online dating. Explain what you are looking for.

As a test when you chat ask for a picture of their backpack. That will tell you a lot. Remember though, you might find someone who knows less than you, doesn't mean they won't be a good partner.

My wife's profile had a picture of her on a rock outcropping sitting on a huge horse. I remember her profile said she would rather chop firewood than go out to dinner for a first date. I called her out about it and we have been together ever since.

I agree to focus on your degree, but there is no reason to not do both. My wife finished her PhD while we were dating, and I started my degree journey at the same time.

OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
Thank y’all so much for the advice! I’ve read and appreciate all of it, but I can’t respond to everyone at the moment because I am about to take a final. The joys of college. It’s really good to hear advice from people with (what I assume) are relatively similar values and experiences. I can’t thank y’all enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PRC_GUY

WKR
Don’t date the one that is against Second Amendment, those women who don’t want you to bring guns home or go hunting. It is a disaster later.
Good luck in school buddy .

OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
It's telling who actually reads posts...

Good luck in your search, I don't have much to offer in advice except be yourself.

Honestly sound like a pretty good catch to me but what do I know.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that.

OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
Online dating. Explain what you are looking for.

As a test when you chat ask for a picture of their backpack. That will tell you a lot. Remember though, you might find someone who knows less than you, doesn't mean they won't be a good partner.

My wife's profile had a picture of her on a rock outcropping sitting on a huge horse. I remember her profile said she would rather chop firewood than go out to dinner for a first date. I called her out about it and we have been together ever since.

I agree to focus on your degree, but there is no reason to not do both. My wife finished her PhD while we were dating, and I started my degree journey at the same time.

The backpack test is a great idea! That’s something that will be impossible for people who aren’t in the know to fake. It’s good to know that dating and serious school can happen at the same time too. Thank you. : )

OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
Join clubs that attract people with similar interests. Archery club. Hunting club if there is one. Ski club often includes at least some hunters. Hiking/outdoors groups. Etc. Can't get to know them if you can't find them.

I definitely need to do a better job of that. One of my (female) friends who hunts was going to help me start a hunter’s club on campus, so maybe that’ll lead somewhere.

OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
My wife, @KickinNDishin and I met when we were in our mid 30s. We might both describe that as a time period where we decided to let go of dating expectations, presumptions, and trying to fit someone in a box. Our second date we went fly fishing, she had never been and asked to go, and she now hunts and shoots bows. She was/is a muythai and BJJ fighter, I was and am not, but it didn't intimidate me nor did the fact she trains with a lot of guys. We just cared about getting to know each other.

I went to a junior college in NW Kansas for a sport, as didany other inner city and suburban men and women. There was a lot intermingling between ranch/farm/rodeo/country co-eds and the folks from the cities, and it all worked out just fine. Maybe open minds were easier to come by when the pool is only several hundred versus several thousand. Give it a whirl, the second best answer you can hear from someone you ask on a date is a no.

Let's see pics of the knives!

That’s great to hear! I’m glad it worked out so well for y’all! Here are some knives, as requested. I just started knifemaking. I’m not going to claim to be good at it yet.
7cfa291262fc2b2ef7f3da406c842520.jpg

5ce9aa1613a2b3aaa672fd74660571b1.jpg

bcddcf02783a2d803cc2982f9cd47df6.jpg

OP
Spartan

Spartan

FNG
Don’t waste time with someone you wouldn’t seriously marry. Talk about the things most important too you early with them. If your points of view are too different, don’t waste your time.

This probably flys in the face of todays conventional advice of “don’t talk politics, religion etc..”. But dinking around with someone who has differing view points on serious topics just won’t work.

I agree with that. I refuse to waste time on a liberal, gun control obsessed nut job.

Are you kidding? You just described most outdoorsman's perfect woman, lol!
If "Sissy boys" feel intimidated or don't like your lifestyle, they aren't partner material to begin with. Move on to a real dude and life will work out.
One thing I have learned is if your partner and you have common passions and interests, the relationship is much better and you actually become buddies as well.
A partnership based on no common passions or past times is not near as easy... or enjoyable IMO.
Be yourself, focus on what is important, and life (and love) will fall into place.

I don’t think the problem is her but rather these people that like to think they are men these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
OP, women like us can be VERY intimidating to men...but the good ones will find that aspect attractive, rather than off-putting. Your task after meeting someone who doesn't find you too intimidating is to weed out the guys who think way too much of themselves. It can be tough.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My wife is a professional barrel racer, horse trainer, shoes her own horses, hunts and fishes, etc. She’s way more bad ass than I am and she’s 5’8” and 105 lbs versus me at 6’1” and 210 haha.

Now that we have two kids together those bad ass traits that drew me to her are exaggerated as a mother for our two boys. We’ve been together 18 years now and I couldn’t imagine being with anyone else.

Be patient and wait for the right man. Also be willing to show interest in the things he is into (you don’t have to always do the same things and spend 100% of your time together).

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
My boys are struggling to find you! LOL 😆

Seriously, there's good men out there just as frustrated as you. Be patient.
One of our first dates was a scouting trip. Invite your prospects to join you on a little adventure and you'll find out pretty quick if they have the stones to be your man. Manly men are chastised these days so they may be hesitant to open up about everything at first. A short hike or fishing trip is universal enough to start peeling some layers back to see what's on the inside.

WRO

WKR
Don't hold anything back, be you the whole time. I dated a couple bitches in college that wanted me to skip hunting and fishing trips, that ended poorly. Also if you're getting serious with one, don't let her move into the house until after hunting season, buddy found his girlfriend getting it on with a frat guy when he got back early from an elk hunt.

I have 4 kids and hunt 30+ days a year, one thing I do to make that work is clearly communicate with my wife. If possible I call my wife every day I'm out, even if it's only for 5 minutes, it goes a long ways in keeping her happy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk