Advice for folks on scoring estimates

There seem to be quite a few "what does he score" threads. This advice only applies to animals already in hand.

If you've never scored an animal it can seem overwhelming, but even just a couple measurements go a long way. For an elk, measure a tine, like the 4th point, or one of the fronts. Even inside or outside spread. Folks can get a better idea of score range with a quick measurement or two. Lacking those, it's tough to take into consideration body size, how photo angles and composition can create a bias, etc. That's why you'll see wide ranges like from 260 to 305.

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
I use a couple different ways for field judging. Lots of good material out there, you just gotta choose what works best for you. On a mature bull, I'll start with the base 200" measurement (50" beams, 40" spread and 30" of mass per side for 60") then start going off point length. Add it all up then make changes as need (beams more like 46", spread closer to 42" etc). Another one I key in on for quick estimating is from base of antler to middle of sword on a mature bull is usually around 30", obviously this depends but can be a good spot to start.

The bull in my avatar was almost picture perfect of the base 200" measurement. 50" and 51" beams, 41" spread and 30" and change on mass either side. It was impressive how close our guess was to what he ended up taping. But again, and only for those it matters to, looking at lots of elk and knowing what their scores are is the only way to get better.

Every 6 point is a 300+ inch bull, every bear is a big boar, and every buck is a mature deer.

The reality for what I see most often is almost all three are generally never the case. Also a reality is neither three need to be true for the taken animal to be a trophy or respectable. Us hunters are a funny bunch…

S.Clancy

WKR
I love those threads, at least when the person has actually scored it. Pretty funny how bad I am at scoring off pics.