Adjusting parallax on Leupold fixed parallax scope.

ozyclint

WKR
I have an old Vari X II 3-9x40 on a .22lr that I'd like to adjust the parallax on. I've read a few threads about how to do it on places like rimfire central but it doesn't appear to disassemble as described.
Can anyone advise how to go about it on this scope?20240904_072417.jpg

At the end of your objective scope is a ring. It’s the last 1/4” or 1/2” of the end of the outer section of the scope (just past the gold ring, the gold ring is also it’s own piece). Unscrew that using a strap wrench or something non-marring. Do this with the scope at max magnification.

You will need to be careful not to unscrew the lens carrier while you are doing this. If the lens carrier is coming out with the ring, then you will need to use the two slots that you can see inside the outer housing of the objective lens. You can probably find a piece of metal that will fit just inside the objective and slide into those slots to act as counter rotation.

Once that ring is off, you should then have the lens carrier exposed. It should smoothly screw in or out, kind of like the ocular focus at the other end. Do not take this piece out.

You can gently move this in and out to see where you need to be to adjust the parallax where you want it. There is a rubber O-ring that seals in the nitrogen, so don’t unscrew the the thing far, just make small adjustments while checking the scope to see how your parallax is.

Once done screw the end ring back on.

I included pictures of an old beat up and painted Leupold 1.5-4 that I just took apart for you (it had failed and had moisture in it). You can see the lens carrier with the O-Ring, I circled it in red for you and reminded you not to take it out :). It will very likely try and unscrew when you begin unscrewing the outer ring, so watch for those notches to start turning and if they do, place a flat piece of metal in those notches to keep it from turning while you continue to unscrew the outer ring.

IMG_9620.jpeg

IMG_9622.jpeg
IMG_9623.jpeg

Last edited:

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Those old Vari XII 3x9s are a solid workhorse scopes and classics that hold their value. A lot of people look for that old gloss blued finish to match with their rifles of the same era, hard to find. You could probably sell that for enough to buy a new dedicated 22lr scope with adjustable parallax. Or just get a new 22lr scope with parallax some are pretty affordable.

Those old Vari XII 3x9s are a solid workhorse scopes and classics that hold their value. A lot of people look for that old gloss blued finish to match with their rifles of the same era, hard to find. You could probably sell that for enough to buy a new dedicated 22lr scope with adjustable parallax. Or just get a new 22lr scope with parallax some are pretty affordable.

Right? I have a Leupold VX2 ultralight 2-7x28 that had a one time run in high gloss, and it is a beautiful scope that sits on top of a high gloss blue CZ527 in 7.62x39. Can’t ever sell that gun or scope. Just too dang good looking.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Right? I have a Leupold VX2 ultralight 2-7x28 that had a one time run in high gloss, and it is a beautiful scope that sits on top of a high gloss blue CZ527 in 7.62x39. Can’t ever sell that gun or scope. Just too dang good looking.
When you have a matching setup like that it would be a sin to separate. People who come into older blued finish rifle look hard for those gloss blued Leupolds, and are still reliable scopes.
Hopefully the OP wont mod his and retain its value. There's plenty of good affordable modern scopes specific to 22lr to get.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
So the outer ring of the bell just acts as a lock nut?

Koda- What $ value we talking here? Selling to fund a dedicated rimfire scope could be an option.

So the outer ring of the bell just acts as a lock nut?

Koda- What $ value we talking here? Selling to fund a dedicated rimfire scope could be an option.

Yes. Basically.

The value of your scope, based on EBay and a couple of other sites is like $200-350 dollars, depending on condition.

Hopefully the OP wont mod his and retain its value. There's plenty of good affordable modern scopes specific to 22lr to get.
He’s not really modding it, he’s just adjusting parallax. It’s going to look exactly the same and function exactly the same, but just meet his eye and distance needs better. But yes, he does need to be careful so as not to mar the finish.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
An honest price would be starting around half of what the new equivalent costs. In great shape more.
The idea of preserving the old scope for its era has more to do with the satisfaction of finding the right owner to match it to the same era rifle than making a profit. Also the satisfaction of owning ad knowing classic hunting gear of an era, basic hunting "lore", you own a piece of US hunting history there. Many people grew up hunting with those gloss blued scopes, i still have one myself. It sits atop a classic gloss blued deer rifle and together is still in use.

Please note your VXII is not a dedicated 22lr scope, your scope was built to go on a big game rifle. The real deal...

Leupold sells a dedicated 22lr scope for about 300. There are cheaper brands that are just as good quality and often with more features. Check out BSA Sweet scopes for a dedicated 22lr with parallax adjustment, typically run about $100.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
He’s not really modding it, he’s just adjusting parallax. It’s going to look exactly the same and function exactly the same, but just meet his eye and distance needs better. But yes, he does need to be careful so as not to mar the finish.
His scope is not a dedicated 22lr scope, its a big game rifle scope with a set parallax for big game scopes of that era. Typically zeroed for a maximum point blank range sight in.
Hes attempting to make an adjustment to use the scope for something different, and most likely once adjusted will not be able to be returned to the exact spot unless sent back to the factory ( they would most likely replace it) . Its a modification in my book that would severely drop its used value for its intended use.

TaperPin

WKR
What’s the parallax error at 25 to 50 yards with a scope that’s factory set at 150? Can’t be much. I’ve always used centerfire scopes on rimfires, usually without an adjustable parallax and can’t say I’ve ever noticed a measurable problem.

I have to say I’ve never worried about DIY parallax adjustment when buying used Leupold scopes on eBay, but it just got added to the list. Lol

Last edited:
His scope is not a dedicated 22lr scope, its a big game rifle scope with a set parallax for big game scopes of that era. Typically zeroed for a maximum point blank range sight in.
Hes attempting to make an adjustment to use the scope for something different, and most likely once adjusted will not be able to be returned to the exact spot unless sent back to the factory ( they would most likely replace it) . Its a modification in my book that would severely drop its used value for its intended use.

Well, either way, we’re talking about a budget scope and a guy who just wants to get some better use out of it. It’s a simple adjustment that a lot of people do, and isn’t permanent.

I’ve shown him how it’s accomplished and will leave it at that.

In my experience (hunting, not target shooting), the biggest advantage of adjusting the parallax for use on a rimfire is that you can focus the image at higher magnifications and closer ranges. If you are only going to be shooting at 3X or 4X most of the time when hunting (like me), you won't really get much if any benefit for adjusting it since the parallax error will be extremely low and nothing will be out of focus. (If you can cheek into the rifle the same every time, parallax won't be an issue anyway :))

If you are going to be shooting at 9X at close ranges, especially target shooting, then yes, it will really help on both focus and on potential parallax issues due to cheek/eye positioning.

I use a Credo 3-9X40 scope on my Tikka T1x to mirror the scope on my T3X hunting rifles. I don't really notice an issue with parallax error but if you try to shoot at 9X and 50yds from the bench, the target image is noticeably out of focus. The Credos are supposedly factory focused at 100 yards and based on my "testing" by moving my head around on the stock at different ranges, that is pretty close.

I think the older Leupolds were factory focused at 160 yds but I may be mistaken, so the error/focus might be higher.

I have only done it on an old Trijicon Accupoint scope, just to see if it would work. It has an identical design.

You should be able to put a strap wrench on the end with the red lines, and unscrew the retaining portion. Then carefully unscrew/tighten with a spanner (I used a metal scale that stuck out on both sides) where the 2 notches are next to the objective lense. (Blue line)

The retainer portion is probably held on with some thread locker, but it will eventually loosen. I just held the scope in my hand and tapped the strap wrench with a hammer to break it loose.

You will have to adjust it by rotating it in/out with some type of a spanner to get the parallax setting you want by "aiming" at something the distance you want to set it at and then move your head around and when the crosshairs stop moving relative to the target at the range you want it to be parallax free at, then screw the retainer back on. It doesn't take much movement with the spanner (blue) portion to make a noticeable difference in the focus distance. (At least on my scope)

1725480443071.png