Added Fat

JoeDirt

WKR
And no, my burgers do not fall apart without fat !!!
Ive argued this till I was blue in the face.

I dont add fat unless im making sausage, if someone wants a tasty burger ill mix some bacon in.

Meatloaf ill mix some fatty beef burger in.

Kinda nice making a "hamburger helper" style meal without a bunch of grease in the pan.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I don't add fat either. I've also not had problems with burgers falling apart. I pretty much use the fat on the deer, so if its a fatty one, there is fat in the burger, if it's lean, there isn't much. Never had a bad experience that way, but I sometimes have to adjust recipes or amounts depending on fat amount.

Fat is like anything else. It is an ingredient and can be used or discarded depending on the recipe.

I use 10% fat in hamburger that will be used for making patties.

I use 20-30% fat for sausage recipes. A little less in summer sausage.

I use no fat for burger that will be used in soups, tacos, or hamburger helper type meals.

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
My long time client, now friend and butcher retired 10 years ago.
He did I really awesome job, my alternative, now died from cancer. So I have been working my 9wn deer up, but I could never do it as well as they do. I had a hog butchered by another fellow last year so I am going to let him work a deer up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For most wild game I like atleast 30% pork fat added. If I am making brats or sausage I bump it up to 50/50. That processor you used also got lazy and only ran it thru once on the large grind instead of twice finishing up on a find grind. Makes a HUGE difference in my opinion. Buy your own grinder and process your own animals. Super easy, a little time consuming but then you only have yourself to be mad at when it sucks.

fmyth

WKR
I add 20% pork butt roast to my elk/deer ground meat. It's just enough to keep it from sticking to the pan but not enough that you need to drain the meat after making ground for tacos.

I never have any type of fat added to my ground venison. Every processor I have ever used always asks if I want anything added to the ground meat, and I always reply "Nothing".
Depending on how I cook it, I will add about 25% ground chuck (beef) to the ground venison to make burgers. If I am making chili, meat sauce for spaghetti, etc, I don't add any fat to it.

Crusader

WKR
We do our own at my buddy's farm. We buy pork trim from a butcher close by and add 20% to the venison when grinding burger. The taste is great and there is really only very little fat that comes out during cooking, it's still quite a lean product.

Rampaige

Lil-Rokslider
If I need to add fat I'll buy some to grind/mix in when I go to cook it. I prefer not to add it when I process.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
For over 40 years we butchered all our own deer and have all the equipment to do it. I come from a long family of butchers. Now that I am older I am the only one of the family left so rather than have all the work I have started to use the help of a full time local butcher shop. They are the best and have a thriving business and people travel from other states to buy their meats. They, as we did, use a 25% mix of pork trimmings to ground venison in order to add moisture and they double grind and looks like the best 80% lean burger you will find at your local grocery store. In order to make sure I get my own meat I bone out my meat as soon as the deer hits the ground and I’m a fanatic about cleanliness. The cubed meat goes in giant vacuum bags and frozen until February or March when no one else is bringing in deer to the butcher shops. The butcher shop grinds it frozen (they cut the huge block of meat on a band saw first) while adding in the pork. I immediately take it home and bag it vacuum pack bags for burgers, tacos, meatloaf, hamburger helper, etc. The butcher does al the grinding at no charge as long as I buy the pork from him....so no clean up. Works for me and is as good as the best burger from the super market.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I butcher my own deer and grind in about 15% fat to the burger. My opinion is that beef fat makes for better burger than pork fat. I avoid any deer fat as I find that is waxy and unpalatable. With beef fat ground into it, it is fantastic for making burgers and cooking with and my family loves it.

Do about half of my deer on my own. If I do drop off it’s zero fat on ground. It can always be added later. If I drop deer off I also ask that sinew be left in back straps. Natures vaacuseal and cuts exposed surface to contaminants in half. Plus I can remove in kitchen much more carefully thereby saving meat.

If I process my own and freezer space allows rear quarters wrapped in cellophane (a lot) go in whole. Keeps all the meat on the boat, aids in moisture retention, and less exposure to stuff to make go bad. PLUS... you can then thaw out and do whatever you want with it. Stew chucks, cube steak for pan / fryer, ground if youre low on it, or on a young deer, I’ll season once thawed and cool entire haunch medium rare in oven!

Whole haunch is first recipe.

Or close to it. F&S first ran this about 7-8 years ago. I came across the same recipe almost EXACTLY maybe 15 years ago on a forum. It’s good, but F&S should have at least given the original guy some credit!

Another version.

Last edited: