Adam Greentree Invasive Species

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know who on here follows Adam Greentree. Recently he and his wife went on a multiple day hunt. During this hunt they killed 2 buffalo, a brush bull, a hog and several other animals. It is obviously impossible to take all this meat out with them. Upon obvious complaints from his followers he commented on how these are invasive species and so leaving the carcasses too rot and be eaten by other animals is ethical. I haven't concluded my opinion on the subject. My question is, does the ethics and respect for the animal and the meat provided by the life you took somehow change because there is a man made changing law that states there is no tag limit, is classified in the area as a nuisance or invasive species?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
It’s a different world over there. I know guys who have been on culling “safaris”. You basically melt rifle barrels you shoot so much.

Hmmmm...interesting question.

Not a lot of first hand experience but I am not sure how edible some of those species are. Wasn’t cam Hanes saying he chewed a piece of water buffalo for an hour.

Edible or not, it is interesting to contemplate.

Just watched a show on bear hunting on Kodiak. Didn’t seem like many people were butchering up brown bears. Are people punching wolf and and coyote tags here cooking them up?

Heck, they cull whitetail deer in the parks In my town (no hunting) and toss them in the dump (I am sure a few choice cuts make it into freezers of parks personnel). It seems wasteful but it is what the town leadership decided was best.

I shoot ground hogs in PA fairly frequently and toss their carcasses in the woods. I guess I could eat them but I don’t want to.

Tough to say. I think the perspective varies a bit from place to place. I personally think the issue swings based on the law to a significant degree.

Thess87

WKR
It’s a different world over there. I know guys who have been on culling “safaris”. You basically melt rifle barrels you shoot so much.

I agree with Steve o. Till you’ve been over there (a different world) you can’t understand the amount of destruction especially the buff do. So it’s either kill what you can when you can or let them destroy the landscape for all the wildlife. And killing enough of them and getting them out to salvage is not feasible in a lot of the territory over there.

My erperience is with Texas hogs. My camp treats them with the respect of deer, elk, or anything else. We do diligent follow-up and tracking, butcher them immediately, stop hunting when we have enough meat, and fly it all home. You've taken a life....in most cases delicious protein that someone would like to have. Lots of things were once not native. Once you cross certain lines you have stolen your first gumball.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Does anyone here eat mice and rats that they trap in their house? I doubt it.

If you're ok throwing away a small invasive/problem animal, why is a bigger one not ok?

Because it's proven that water buffalo are perfectly edible, that's the whole reason why they were introduced. It's no different than the hog problem in the states, but most have jumped on board with eating them.

OP
R

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone here eat mice and rats that they trap in their house? I doubt it.

If you're ok throwing away a small invasive/problem animal, why is a bigger one not ok?
Ya I feel the edibility of the animals and the risk of disease to humans definitely plays a role. It's why I think a lot of people are hesitant to eat carnivores (heck even CWD deer). There is a risk of Trich and other diseases. Adam and his wife still ate a nights worth of the meat from the animals they killed and left the remaining 100s of pounds.

OP
R

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
The Australian government has announced an initiative to kill 2 million feral cats. Not sure if that changes your mind or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't really made up my mind to change at this point. My initial thought was being ok with it, on further contemplation I started to question. Are feral cats safe to eat?

I hunt for a lot of reasons. Food is one of them, adventure another, and let’s be honest you have fun out there. If any of them went away would you still do it? Hard to say from person to person, so it’s not really up to me to decide for someone else. The Australian model of hunting is different than ours, and just cause it’s “edible” doesn’t mean you have to or should have to eat it. I bet most guys wouldn’t eat a coyote either. Also when someone posts up a picture of a grizzly Youre probably not on there saying “well did you eat all that meat?”

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
BTW, they don’t eat the wild boars over there either. Most don’t even like to get near them for pics. Again, I’ve had friends that are hog hunting fanatics go to Australia and their hosts would not let them even put a knife to them.

lif

WKR
I think the emphasis should be on the need to post this stuff online for the world to have these conversations. If I come across an animal that is an invasive in my life and decide to kill it, I don’t feel the need to tell everyone I did it. The whole thing with bragging on the internet to people you don’t know, about something in your life, is very foreign to me personally. If you want everyone to know about your life then you are leaving yourself open to everyone’s opinions and judgement. Glad it’s not me. I’ve killed a handful of good bucks in my life and only posted a picture once about 10 years ago. I regretted it immediately. And I never got any negative feedback.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Would you rather the government shot the animals and left them to rot than have hunters do it?

Hunters are supposed to be "conservationists", if a species is detrimental to an ecosystem wouldn't it be our duty to control that species?

Why does everything need to be an emotional "how should I feel about this" question these days?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You dont need to go over there to understand the amount of destruction an invasive species can do. We have plenty of invasive species battles in our own backyard...they used to take the culled lake trout out of yellowstone and grind them up and dump it overboard to suppress eggs...they had to quit to because they were not getting enough lake trout in cull to grind to be effective at egg suppression anymore. I bet the lake trout they are pulling out of there now are still getting round up for fertilizer...
The Yellowstone program costs approx 2 mil a year, last time I checked, and its paid for by mostly private donations IRRC. Most places in the world dont have the resources for big programs to control invasives and they use best means avaialble.

FWC issued a statement a while back asking folks to kill iguanas to help curb there numbers...if I am home owner in FL and I kill a few digging up my backyard is it wrong if I dont eat them?

I think folks get caught up on the type of animal and completely ignore the science behind the decision...fish and lizards no big deal but soon as it's a larger animal with fur folks look at it a lot differently.

As far as Greentree whatever...I dont do the instabro thing...never understood why folks spend so much time keeping up with other folks lives instead of living theirs...

KurtR

WKR